Georgia MultiSports Productions, LLC.
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 40s
Overall Rank = 84/742
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/69
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00am and devoured a bowl of granola cereal. Poured a cup of coffee and hit the road at 4:18am. Arrived around 6:00am or so and was lucky enough to find a parking place in the lot across from the transition area. Found the packet pickup, got marked and setup my transition area. I was lucky and was able to setup at the end/outside of the rack...very nice.
Event warmup:

Not sure if I ever did warm up. I think the air temp at the start was like 55°F or so and the water temp was 71.4°F. Walked down the hill to the beach and waited for the start. The Star Spangled Banner always gets me choked up....we are truly lucky to be Americans!
Swim
  • 09m 23s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started off the left side BOP of the wave. I knew this was just going to be a "get-it-over-with" swim since I had had not been in water since Aug. 1. Ended up that I enjoyed this swim and really stayed relaxed. I did not put pressure on myself to perform well with this portion of the race given my lack of swim training since the Cordele race.
What would you do differently?:

Find a pool.....or find a way to sneak into Gordon College's aquatic center. The swim is always my slowest of the 3....until I dedicate training, I can expect the same performance.
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Ran up from the beach to try and save time....passed about 10-11 people that were walking (I paid for this though with a high heartrate). No problem finding my rack and getting my shoes on. My darn shirt got stuck on my back as I was pulling it on. Probably used 20 seconds just getting untangled. Helmet went on pretty well and I was off.

I have to find a better way to get this shirt on....maybe put some lube on the shirt prior to the race. Even better, put on a front zip cycling jersey.
Bike
  • 37m 11s
  • 13.15 miles
  • 21.22 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt like I was really pushing myself on the bike portion of this race. My heart rate was pretty high coming out of transition and it didnt settle down until we turned off of Friendship road. Probably due to the run up from the beach. The hill training paid off as I seemed to pass lots of folks going up the hills. From mile 6 to 8, which was the long straight on the outermost part of the course, I tried to conserve as much as possible while maintaining 21+mph. Coming back into the park, we caught up with some vehicle traffic. Kind of strange to pass a car on the right side on the shoulder.

Was this a screwed up version of the Olympic trials or something.......LOTS of folks drafting. Kind of hard with such a short course and the number of people racing. Still, I was starting to get torqued near mile 10 when a train of guys flew by me wheel to wheel. I caught up with several of these guys on the hills coming back into the park.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Pretty smooth here.

Not much...anything less than 1min is OK by me.
Run
  • 23m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

This one hurt pretty bad coming off the bike. It took me about 1 mile before I settled into my groove. I didnt have my Garmin, but I bet I ran a 8:30 or so for the first mile. Started to cramp up but ran through the pain and recovered my heartrate. Several folks passed me during this first mile and they were in my agegroup (darn!). Really got back in my rhythem and was able to pick up the pace for the last 2 miles. Something really neat happened during this run. I caught up with a guy who was running about the same pace. We actually agreed to push each other and catch up with the guy about 50 yds in front of us. Then we set our sights on the next guy and so on. It was really neat to have his support....I am sure we would not caught up with so many just runing alone. We pushed each other through the to the finish. I believe his name was Jeff Halloway #35 in the 20-24 age group.

More bricks?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit to try and recover. Shook hands with Jeff about the run, really cool experience. His wife was there with their dog and said hi. Picked up my shirt and cheered for the finishing athletes. Stretched quite a bit and then grabbed a diet coke.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to swim more and do more bricks from bike to run. Interesting to note that my total training distances for this year is about half of what it was compared to last year. I really wanted to beat my time from last year (1:12:16) and probably would have been close if it were not for the "shirt tangle" incident in T1. I would have needed 1:12:05 to place 9th in my agegroup. All in all I am pleased.

Event comments:

Had a great time again this year. This race continues to grow....I am not sure if the course can handle any more competitors. Volunteers were great, weather was perfect and times were fast. Will do it again next year!

Last updated: 2008-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:23 | 400 yards | 02m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/69
Overall: 0/742
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Reverse "J" shape with beach-wade start. Swim in the clockwise direction.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:09
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:11 | 13.15 miles | 21.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/69
Performance: Good
My Garmin had the distance a little past 13 miles.
Wind: Little
Course: Out from the park and through the local roads....then circled back into the park.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:00 | 03.11 miles | 07m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/69
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back shaded run through the park. Pretty flat with a couple small hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes