Coastal Bays Program
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 6s
Overall Rank = 14/369
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/39
Pre-race routine:

Misjudged how long it was going to take me to get to Public Landing (usually stay in OC the night before), so I was 1st in TA. Racked the bike, unloaded my bag and took a nap in the truck. Skip arrived not too long afterward (after he got directions ;) ) and chatted with him. Dave strolled in right before start of the race and I BS'd with him and Jeremy.

Event warmup:

I did get in a short run to warm up and did a bit of stretching. When we got up to the swim start, I thought about a quick swim... but it was cold.
Swim
  • 10m 8s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

Got in the middle of the pack. I wanted to be aggressive because this has always been my weak link and in a sprint, vying for a podium spot, every second counts. Despite the chilly water, I took off and quickly settled into a groove. I was able to concentrate on form pretty much from the start. There was alot of bumping and jostling. On the first leg of the swim we had the waves at about 315deg (relative) so, there was some unbalanced moments. Actually over-swam the first buoy, thinking it was further offshore than it was. After the turn, the waves were coming more from the side and rear, so it was easier to get in a rhythmn. I was in the pack the whole time, so sighting wasn't a priority. Couldn't see much through the foggy goggles anyway. Missed one buoy by two yards, and had to swim around, but otherwise was dead on. Swam through a bunch of walkers. Don't think I caught too many people from the previous wave, but did accidentally run into one lady, "Sorry".
Took my wetsuit off on the pier, which added to my swim time (10:56 official), but cut down on my T1 (2nd o/a).
What would you do differently?:

More OWS's. This was only my 3rd swim in the wilds this year - all in races. Otherwise, I was pleased. Standing not great (15/39), but better than last year. Pace was a comfortable push, definitely not lazy.
Transition 1
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Got out of the suit as soon as I was out of the way on the pier. Right foot got stuck in suit leg, which slowed me down. Ran down the pier and was pretty speedy getting on the bike. Could have gotten my feet in the shoes quicker, but at least it was smooth.

More wetsuit removal practice. More heightened sense of urgency.
Bike
  • 43m 3s
  • 15.2 miles
  • 21.18 mile/hr
Comments:

We started off with the wind at our backs, which was fun. After than initial stretch (longest on course) and one small stetch 3/4 in, wind was either side to or head on. Without a speedometer, I wasn't sure how fast I was going. This was my downfall. Thought I could judge my speed by effort, and my HR was high for the bike, but I think I stayed too far under the red line. Got passed by 4 people (20-39s went off ahead, so I just knew these were my AG), which isn't always a bad thing - can mean a good swim.
I kept looking for Dave, who went off 6min ahead of me. Never found him, but kept wondering where he was at - could I have passed him on the swim?! Couldn't see it, but this was also a clue as to my bike leg performance (no offense Dave). Did catch up to Jeremy on the homeward leg.
The Osprey is a very good beginner's tri, so it attracts a wide variety of participants. Starting in the 4th wave, it was a pass-a-thon, which also made my effort deceptive. It was a good ride, I enjoyed it, but...

Better placing than last year (7/39), but 1mph slower. When turning into the wind, I'd down-shift from 53x16 to 53x17, but found myself getting too comfortable on the 17 tooth when presented with a different wind profile. In retrospect, I would have expected some drop in speed with windier conditions, but I never felt the burn like in years past, so I'm not happy with this race. Looking at other AGers who have raced in prior years, they didn't have the drop-off in speed that I did. Definitely need to fix my disc-speedometer issue, because I'm leaving time on the course.
Oh yeah, maybe I could log some bike miles in September.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Not bad. Took time for a drink out of the bike bottle, which cost a few seconds. No problems, though.

Should have gotten a drink from aid station right outside TA.
Run
  • 20m 23s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

I expected to do better on the run than in past years. Somehow, I've gotten significantly faster this year. I tried to look for the guys who passed me on the bike, but I mostly notice bikes and not tri-gear or numbers. This race also doesn't calf-mark ages.
I was in a space when I started out, so I just ran my race. Got settled in quickly, and stayed just over the discomfort line. Saw a green CMS jersey ahead of me, "There's Dave". Caught up to him and messed with Mr. Sandbagger (fortunately he didn't hurl any snot rockets my way). Started passing some people, and started looking for guys who might be pre-geezers, like me. First mile came up, 6:30, which I was not real pleased with. Thought I 'd be able to hold 6:20s, plus we had the wind at our backs - second half should be slower. Did notice one of the guys who passed me on the bike, and I reeled him in. The race leaders were on their homeward half, but I couldn't tell ages - they all looked younger than me, and some "could be"s were bald. One guy who passed me on the bike, was ahead of the turnaround, so he was my goal, but when I got to the turnaround, he was way out front. Saw Dave again and Skip. Just tried to maintain pace, which was more comfortable than I remembered. Mile 2, 6:20, "cool", that's where I want to be. Moved by a few "could be"s, which was good, but never found that rabbit that I could chase or hold off. Mile 3, 6:29, "Hmmmm". Not bad, but which miles were accurate? I really felt like I had consistent pace going. No real challenges down the stretch, but pushed it in.

Probably nothing. This was not an all out effort, but I never picked up that challenge to push my limits. Coming out of T2, I was either considerably faster than the people ahead of me or those of similar pace were too far ahead to run down. I set my goal as 6:20/mi (I've done 5mi tempo runs at that pace), but the bike took a few sec's off. My best tri 5K, so no complaints here.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water, watched some people puke, BSd w/Dave and Jeremy. Skip had to leave. Ran back to the swim start to get my flip-flops.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Focus and complacency. Bike miles and swim workouts.
I was 1:15 slower than last year, but got 3rd in my AG. I'm not complaining.

Event comments:

I always enjoy this race - low key, great venue. Not much post-race, but it's small (<400 racers) and put on my a non-profit. Thought about coaching football today, but I'm glad I decided to wind up my tri season, what there was of it, with the Osprey.

Last updated: 2008-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:08 | 875 yards | 01m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/39
Overall: 64/369
Performance: Good
Suit: BlueSeventy sleeveless
Course: Point to point. Sort L-shaped - out, briefly from shore, then turn and straight to a pier.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:43:03 | 15.2 miles | 21.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/39
Overall: 26/369
Performance: Below average
Avg HR=151
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: One loop through Worcester County farmland.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:23 | 03.11 miles | 06m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/39
Overall: 11/369
Performance: Good
6:30(160)/6:20(164)/6:29(168)/1:04(170).
Course: Out and back, flat, one brief shady stretch.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-06 1:52 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Subject: Osprey Sprint Triathlon

2008-10-06 5:51 PM
in reply to: #1721286

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: Osprey Sprint Triathlon

Way to end the season with some hardware.

Ernie

2008-10-08 8:30 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
Congrats on the hardware.  I gotta do this race some day.  sounds fun.
2008-10-08 9:55 AM
in reply to: #1726506

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Nice work Glenn!

I thought you were signed up for Cape Henlopen, was hoping to see you there.

I'm guessing the swim yardage on the report is wrong??  If not, there must have been some blazing fast swimmers if you 1:08/100 and still finished MOP!!

2008-10-12 9:10 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Congratulations on the hardware!! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Osprey Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed