Event Power
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 57m 21s
Overall Rank = 348/401
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 13/18
Pre-race routine:

Arrived to ths race site Friday before the race. This was great as I had time to relax and drive the race course to know what to expect. This really made a difference race day knowing where the hills were and downhills. Woke up race morning around 3:45 ate 1/2 bagel w/ PB&J coffee and gatorade. Left for the race site at 5AM -it was freezing!
Event warmup:

Just set up my transition area (in the dark) -need to remeber a flashlight for these late season races. A few stretches before getting in the pond.
Swim
  • 46h 04m
  • 2112 yards
  • 2h 10m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Only MAJOR problem was my wetsuit coming unzipped (all the way) about 1/2 way through the race. Someone zipped me up right before the race and apparently didn't do it right. I tried twice to flip on my back and zip it myself but it was just too hard so I struggled throught the last 1/2 of the course with water surging in and out of the back of my suit. I do think it effected my swim time, but despite this I had none of the usual panic attacks or apprehension at the start. I was calm, my stroke was smooth and felt confident. I know after this race my first IM must be in a lake or still water. I do so much better w/ woorying about waves and jellyfish!Breathing and sighting best ever! My extra swimming training and OWS really made the difference this race. i can only see my swimmimg imrpoving as I continue to train. I had the most improvement in this sport on this race.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure my wetsuit is properly closed and latched shut tight! Other than that one think it was my best swim ever!
Transition 1
  • 03m 46s
Comments:

Overall not bad transition. I forgot my PAM spray so my wetsuit was struggling w/ me a bit, but overall not bad. No problem w/ neck rash as I had my new rash guard shirt underneath the suit and slapped on tons of goop.I was suprised at how many people had already got their bikes even though I was the 2nd wave out. There were lots of fast folks at this race!

Nothing -but I do feel ready to transition to clipless next season!
Bike
  • 3h 45m 52s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.88 mile/hr
Comments:

The unexpected suprise was the torrential rains that started about 1/4 of the way into the bike course. Looked like it would be a drizzle but became full downpour that pierced your face like needles when going fast downhill. Was shivering for about the first mile from being wet and cold. Probably rode a bit more cautiously due to the rain. I really had only ever riden once before on my bike in this kind of down pour and people were slipping and sliding like crazy, so I didn't want to be one of them and slowed to an average pace of 15 mph. Saw so many flat tires along the way, I was so greatful not to have that bad luck come my way. Overall the bike was OK considering the weather and while I felt my performance for my training and condition was solid, I still have alot to improve on with my bike training.

Nothing much unless I could have stopped the rain :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Nothing much here - just happy to be of the wet bike seat and ready to run. I was running strong off the bike until some race official yelled at me to slow down till my legs came back...WTF lady my legs were back! Anyway got the bike in the rack quick change and because I was already in running shoes (although they were soaking wet)I was off in a flash and felt very strong!

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 20m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

The first loop it was still pouring so my shoes and socks got even more soaked cause you couldn't avoid the puddles in certain areas and just had to wade through them. I kept my long sleeve bike top on the first loop cause I was still cold and didn't think stripping it off made much sense. By the second loop the rain subsided and I took of the top down to my tri top, when circling transition (which worked out well) cause at that point it was so wet it was like extra weight. I felt exceptionally strong at the start of the run and decided to attempt running Murder Hill which I did without too much struggle, i was careful to lean forward take small steps and take my time. by the second loop I was a little more tired (legs not cardio) but I knew by that point I was within my goal of a sub 7 hour race so that motivated me to run it the second loop too. I never walked any portioi of this half marathon! I was very proud of that!I was concerned due to my lingering PF from last season and lack of training this season i would suffer on this run -I was so surprised by my performance here. My foot did start to give me problems at mile 10 but not bad enough to really effect anything. At mile 6 I looped the transition ares and saw my husband who looked at me with such suprise he said "You look great honey! You got this!" I answered "Yep, I got this" I knew at that point there was no way I wasn't going to finish, it was just a matter of whether I hit my goal time or not. I declaired a goal time of 6:52 here on BT Friday but said I'd be thrilled with anything under 7 hours, so as I approached the end of the race I was feverishly doing the math and at 1.5 miles out I knew I was within a few minutes of making it under 7 hours so I pushed,HARD and made that dream my reality, it was simply amazing. The best part was my hsband running up to me saying "oh you missed by 1 minute (because the (clock read 7:01)and explaining to him that that clock started with the first wave and I was in the second wave so that meant I was in the 6:50's somewhere. We both started jumping up and down and crying like idiots.

Nothing really -I am still not 100% on this foot and know it will be a while before I can really push my running pace, so for now this will have to be and I'm OK with that.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked from transition to the car rode back to the hotel room took an ice bath then a hot bath and had a beautiful long awaited glass of wine! Hubby gave me a full massage fed me post race snacks and I took a nap before going out to celebrate with a lobster dinner -YUMMY!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Duh -how bout the weather -thank you mr. weatherman (partly cloudy and sunny -right!), perhaps a 1/2 open wetsuit for 1/2 the swim and as always my fussy PF injury that I may always have to deal with. But even with all of these issues I felt very proud of my race!

Event comments:

Overall this race was very well managed and directed. The volunteers were organized helpful and friendly. It's a small little town but they really come together for this event. Road support was solid, couldn't believe all the locals out helping bikers on the route. Aid stations were great stocked with water, heed, coke and gels and the course is simply beautiful. I hope eventually they do a full IM here -if they did I would definetly go back! I had a ball!

Last updated: 2007-12-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
46:04:00 | 2112 yards | 2h 10m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 354/401
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Wave was at 6:44AM -Triangle course path -very well marked w/ buoys and canoes keeping everyone on course. Distance looked much closed from the shore, but this was without a doubt a much better swim than the hudson.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:46
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:45:52 | 56 miles | 14.88 mile/hr
Overall: 377/401
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Course had many more hills than I expected. I knew there was one people supposedly "walked up" but there were several throughout. I never walked my bike though.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:20:04 | 13.1 miles | 10m 41s  min/mile
Overall: 303/401
Performance: Good
Course: So this was the portion of the race that scared me the most based on other peoples RR's the infamous Murder Hill which I had driven up the day before and I have to admit did not feel quite as intimdated as I expected, but I knew sitting in the car was not the best place to assess the situation. Overall the run course was fairly flat except for that hill and some smaller hills (the pitts) in the back portion of Murder Hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-06 3:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Subject: MightyMan Montauk

2008-10-06 3:22 PM
in reply to: #1721564

User image

Subject: RE: MightyMan Montauk

Wow!  Great race report.  Way to perservere and make your goal!!  Sounds like your wetsuit split open somewhere at the bottom and slowly opened up.

I have a few words for the weatherman myself!  Hopefully next year will finally be sunny! 

2008-10-06 4:08 PM

User image

Colorado
Awesome race!  Congratulations, HIM
2008-10-06 5:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
Great job on Sunday, you have a lot to be proud of!! Not only did you meet your time goal, but you got through the swim with a wetsuit that was trying to make an escape!! Congratulations.
2008-10-06 5:25 PM
in reply to: #1721966

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
great job! You finished your first HIM... that's and accomplishment to be proud of.
2008-10-06 7:20 PM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY
If your third tri is a HIM, is IM next?

Nice work out there, especially on the swim. If you've had panic attacks during training in OWS and got through a real problem with ease in a HIM swim, I'd say your fears should be put to rest. You are a swimmer!

Good job. I did NYC and this as well. Perhaps the next race in common there can be a BT meet and greet. Congrats on your first HIM.

2008-10-06 7:53 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
You did it! Congratulations! You finished a tough course on an even tougher day. I wonder what you'll do if you ever have an easy race?
2008-10-11 3:05 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Congratulations!!  Great job out there .
2008-10-11 4:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
great report .. i've had that problem with the wetsuit too.. but glad you preservered and great job !
2008-10-14 8:08 AM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
I'm a little behind and finally reading your report - what a great race, Michelle! You must be incredibly proud to have  beat your goal in such challenging conditions. After this, all other races will feel easy in comparison
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MightyMan Montauk Rss Feed