General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 13m 42s
Overall Rank = 293/1929
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 50/306
Pre-race routine:

Left the hotel at 530 to pick up payne and head to the race site. The traffic was a mess, so it took us a while to get parked. We got on a bus and finally got to transition to set up our gear. Hung out with bird and hogans, payne and valentz before getting the wetsuit on and going over to the start.
Event warmup:

Nothing, we were running late and I was pretty relaxed, so I figured I would take the first 200M easy and get warmed up then. Ate a GU and drank some water before getting in then worked my way up to the front on the inside.
Swim
  • 25m 12s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 18s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started at an easy pace and felt really good. there were a lot of people everywhere and I was passing people at a pretty good clip, so I would draft a little then move on, draft a little and move on. Focused on my form and pull and tried to stay relaxed. This was the easiest effort (feeling wise) I have had in a swim. I've heard a lot of people saying the course was 100-200M short, but I think it was more than that. Maybe 1600M tops. My goal was 34 min., when I got out and saw 25 on my watch, I though my watch was messed up. I heard bird yelling to me that I had a great swim and I felt good as I ran up, so I just forgot about it and focused on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

Ran into transition and stripped off the wetsuit. Threw on helmet, stuck sunglasses in my mouth, and grabbed my bike. Started running and saw Teecris getting finishing up with his T1, thought about yelling for him to pick it up, but being the positive, friendly racer I am, I didn't want to ruin any positive swim vibe he had going. Ran out, jumped on bike and took off.

nothing
Bike
  • 2h 34m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.81 mile/hr
Comments:

Out of T1, I could not get into my shoes, it took me about a mile before I had them on. Finally got feet in and took off. My goal for the ride was 2:30:00 and I felt with the course and conditions, this was doable. The first 10 miles was fast, I felt good and was passing everybody. At about mile 4 a guy passed me and he was moving at a pretty good speed, so I paced off him until we hit the hills, where he would drop back. Took a GU 15 min in and an enduroshark at the hour mark. Sipped on water and Gu2O (had 400 calories mixed in each bottle, total of 2 bottles) throughout the ride. As I began to sip on water and Gu2O, I felt like I couldn't take that much and it was sitting in my belly, I think this was the start of the problems I would have later. I was keeping my watts between 230 and 250, except on the hills where I tried to keep them below 400 on short climbs and below 350 on longer climbs. I managed this well and felt as though I was on track to hit my goal. By mile 50, I had consumed a total of 2 enduroshark tabs, 3 GU, only 32 ozs. of water and 3/4 of a 400 calorie bottle of Gu2O. I went through the water station and picked up a water, dumped it in the aero drink and stood up to stretch. AH OOOOH, both quads cramped a little. I sat back down and increased my cadence, but was nervous about what this was going to mean. I had 6 miles left and a couple of climbs, so I decided to take it easy and spin and not push it up those hills to the end. I made it to the dismount and quads were cramping. I didn't fly off for fear I seize up and wreck, so I came to a complete stopped and took it easy getting off the bike.

hydrate, fuel, prerace fuel??? I'm kinda guessing right now, but the bike fueling plan didn't work so well.
Transition 2
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

T2 I took it easy, sat down and tried to stretch a little as I put on socks. I knew I was in trouble, but was hoping that I would just run it out.

nothing
Run
  • 2h 09m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Mentally this was the toughest run I have ever done. I was on the verge of DNF, my quads were seizing up on me and it looked like I had tumors bulging from my quads. Coming out of T2, bird started her relay run and she ran next to me. She was super positive and tells me I did great on the swim and bike and I'm going to kill my goal. I just grimace and I tell her I am cramping up bad. We get out of the park and on the pavement and I have to stop, sit down, and try and stretch. I get up and walk about 200 yards and start running again. As soon as I hit the hill, massive cramp in quads. I stop and walk 200 yards, start running again... you get the picture. I was hoping this would eventually work it's way out, but no such luck. mile 3.5 to 4.5, I was able to run just about the whole thing, and my pace was good when I was running, I just couldn't stop cramping. At quadzilla bird went on and I took it easy going up. This was pretty much the end for me. My lower back, (kidneys) started aching and I knew I was dehydrated. each water station I would drink as much as I could and move on. I got over to the last turnaround and saw Jenny, she was looking good and she went by me at about mile 7, I told her to finish strong and she would break 5. I got back to the park and heard fitz yelling my name. I retooled my goal in my head and accepted a 5:15 as the mark. I had 3 miles to go and needed to do it in 35 min to get there. My last 3 were 11, 12, and 11. I was never more glad to be done. I walked out of the finish, saw bird and Jenny, waved and went straight to the med tent. They did vitals and gave me an IV. After the bag of fluid, I felt much better. I had a ton of salt all over my face. Shortly after I arrive, in comes Teecris, with a very similar run story. Pretty funny.

I have to figure out the hydration thing. I lose 4-6 lbs of water weight during 2 hour workouts. I took salt tabs, (which I am not sure those are the right thing for me) but clearly I did not hydrate correctly. I've never had this happen to me, so I have a little work to do. Longhorn 70.3 2009 redemption.
Post race
Warm down:

Med tent, IV, Fluids, Food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

dehydration

Event comments:

I loved the event. The parking CF was bad but the event was great. Love the course and will do this again for sure.

Last updated: 2008-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:12 | 1931 meters | 01m 18s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/306
Overall: 184/1929
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot sleeveless
Course: Counter clockwise triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:32
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
02:34:05 | 56 miles | 21.81 mile/hr
Overall: 135/1929
AVG WATTS 241
Wind: Some
Course: All over the outskirts of Austin
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:09:54 | 13.1 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 709/1929
Performance: Bad
Course: hilly double loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-10-06 11:25 PM

User image

Subject: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

2008-10-07 7:02 AM
in reply to: #1723069

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Subject: RE: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron
Awesome race.  Killer bike split.  Sorry about the dehydration problem.  They say you can train your body to absorb more liquid so I try to work on that!
2008-10-07 8:48 AM

User image

Veteran

It's very freaky that we had such a similar experience and that damn same run split streak stays alive (FTL this time).  The stand up to stretch and immediately cramp thing wigged me out.  You fought thru it and that has got to feel better than the possible DNF.  Glad you put that out of your mind and worked it around the run course.  I think we even high fived on the run which is a major development in itself :

Great job out there Toad.  I'm in for the '09 redemption race. 

2008-10-07 11:01 AM

User image

Veteran

Oh no!  It looks like we have to do this again in 09.  Ok- I'm in too!  For having the cramping issues that you had, I am not sure how you did the run pace you did!  Good job for fighting it. Your swim and bike amaze me.  Good job FASTTOAD! 

2008-10-07 4:04 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Ordinary athletes don't run a 5:13 for a half ironman!  You are FAST!

Seriously, AWESOME race despite the run troubles...I'd kill for that time!

2008-10-10 1:40 PM

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Tremendous swim. Masters is working. I think w/my wetsuit I was swimming about 1:20/M and I barely beat you. Your run sounds exactly like mine at Boulder. I think the fact that it wasn't that hot on the bike might have fooled some people, who are heat-adjusted, into taking too little liquid. I was sweating profusely and had to take six bottles of gatorade on the bike which ended up being enough. You should come to Boulder next year and we'll both go sub-5. The course is much easier and even if it's hot, you'll excel because it will be so dry. I don't think the 5k elevation would have much negative effect on you if any.

2008-10-10 1:43 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Yep. Time to change the handle to "Faster than the Ordinary Athlete".  Even with the run troubles, your time was great.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed