General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll San Jose Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'n' Roll San Jose Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Jose, California
United States
Elite Racing Inc.
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 19m 11s
Overall Rank = 5266/9563
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 432/908
Pre-race routine:

I stayed at my brother's for the weekend, so I got up and put on my stuff that I'd laid out the night before. I didn't eat anything, although I probably should have. jcnipper and I drove about 30 minutes from Redwood City and only made one slight navigational error, but overall we got there and parked with plenty of time to walk to the start area, use the porta-potties, and mingle until we got in our race corrals.

Did anyone else see the porta-potty rocking violently before some guy came out and scampered away? It was interesting...
Event warmup:

No real warmup, just walking from HP Pavilion, to gear check, etc.
Run
  • 2h 19m 11s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall, I really liked this race and had fun, although I struggled mentally and physically. The course was flat and shaded, and the weather cooperated beautifully. I started off maybe a little fast, but really wanted to beat my 2:13:48 PR, so I was trying to stay around a 10:00 to account for slowness in the water stops, etc. I saw my brother, SIL, and nephew cheering for me just before mile 1, which was fun. I was on track for about 10k when continued soreness in my hip creeped in a little and my HR continued to be high. I gave in to myself, and took a short walk break somewhere around 7 miles. Well, that was a slippery slope and one walk break lead to more longer ones after I realized I wasn't going to be able to hold the pace needed for a PR. I had GU gels around 5 miles and 10 miles, which helped with the energy. I probably should have had one sooner since I hadn't eaten breakfast. Either way, I did finish the last bit strong and was thrilled when at 13, jcnipper jumped back in the race and ran the last 0.1 with me. That always makes me happy. :-)
What would you do differently?:

The night before the race I took my boyfriend, jcnipper, out for a nice dinner to celebrate his 30th birthday. I had a couple glasses of wine, which probably didn't help the hydration aspect and my HR, but as he said, he only turns 30 once. There will be more races, so I wouldn't actually change that at all. I probably would have eaten breakfast though, and maybe had a gel earlier since I hadn't had any caffeine either. Not sure what else I could have done to prevent the crash.
Post race
Warm down:

I wandered through the finish area getting drinks and snacks. We then headed to the beer tent, fortunately had our IDs and sat in the grass and nursed my beer. It was a great atmosphere and the weather was so nice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Uh, maybe the wine, and probably the nagging hip/butt pain. Hopefully I can get rid of it before San Antonio.

Event comments:

I thought this was a nice showing by Elite. I've done all of their races this year except for San Diego, and they seemed to have it down pretty well here. The porta-potty lines were shorter than ever and there were staggered water stops on each side of the street, which helped congestion. As mentioned above, the kids could have used a little more training, but they did ok. I'd really like to do this race again, maybe with less wine first.

Last updated: 2008-07-05 12:00 AM
Running
02:19:11 | 13.1 miles | 10m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 432/908
Overall: 5266/9563
Performance: Average
The splits aren't coming up on the website, but I think they were approximately 5k = 10:13 pace, 10k = 10:16 pace and it got ugly from there for a final pace of 10:37. Haven't uploaded Garmin yet to see the HR trends, but it was avg. 174, max 192. It was high the whole time, which was part of the struggle.
Course: The course was shaded, flat, and very nice. The water stops were placed ok, although some of the kids needed more training...like the one I looked at, said, "water", and he moved to hand it to the guy behind me...
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-07 11:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Subject: Rock 'n' Roll San Jose Half Marathon

2008-10-07 11:13 AM
in reply to: #1724063

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Rock 'n' Roll San Jose Half Marathon
You did great baby!  :-)
2008-10-10 9:47 AM
in reply to: #1724063

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
Subject: RE: Rock 'n' Roll San Jose Half Marathon
Great Job!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll San Jose Half Marathon Rss Feed