General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 55m 13s
Overall Rank = 606/2300
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 157/305
Pre-race routine:

Two mini whole wheat bagels with peanut butter and a bottle of gatorade. Walked from the carpark to the race site arriving with an hour to spare before transition closed. Got set up in transition and took in the sunrise!
Event warmup:

The walk from the car... 1 mile. No swim.
Swim
  • 29m 31s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

Huge relief to have the wetsuit. Felt quietly peaceful. Stayed on the inside so breathing to my right kept me close to the pack. Swam out of most trouble and focused on relaxing, reaching and gliding. Consciously had fun. The sub 30 swim was 6min faster than expected - even with a short course this was my best swim ever. The sun helped with sighting.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 03m 48s
Comments:

To use a British term - I pratted around. The run up to transition was fine but the suit didn't come off quickly. Then it was difficult putting a dry tri top on a wet body. Trotted out with the bike and then struggled getting my feet into the shoes (took 100yds).

Wear tri top under wetsuit.
Bike
  • 2h 56m 21s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Riding the course 12 days before the event gave me confidence. Even though my bike computer had died the week of the race (and subsequently removed) I was prepared to ride on 'feel'. It was liberating. The first 20 miles were just a hoot - I was still thrilled with the swim, felt good, nothing hurt and could visualise the rest of the course. Miles 20-42 were just OK and I was looking forward to getting onto the main road for a flat 8 miles before the last section, knowing that the road surface was smooth. My low back started to ache during the second half of the ride. 119.1mph was really good for me, my goal was to break 3 hours. My training rides in N Houston of 50 miles were just over 20mph but they are flat.

Prepare for the back tightness somehow....?
Transition 2
  • 03m 31s
Comments:

Dismount line came at the top of a little hill so was unprepared. Got out of left shoe and had to get out of right shoe with bike stationary. Took the time for socks and also used porta potty.

Feet out sooner
Run
  • 2h 22m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Coming off the bike I thought a sub 10 min pace could get me close to a 5.40 time - a full 20mins inside my goal.... However, my back was killing me. I ran 1.5 miles before first walk break and started to use the ice cold sponges to ease the pain. What can I say - I tried to run down the down hill and flats but sure felt like I was walking a lot. I maintained the sub 10 min pace thru 5 miles, then quadzilla, then the demoralising treck out for loop 2. Hearing my wife and kids cheer for me made all the difference.

I didn't do any brick workouts... there's your answer.
Post race
Warm down:

Got food and painfully sat on a chair for 10 mins. Packed up and walked to the car - another mile. Actually this helped loosen me up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training time on the bike. Weight (195lbs). Lack of bricks.

Event comments:

Lots of folks have noted the parking and Keith gave a great response. My observation was that the bus drivers were crazy dangerous, driving far too fast down the road pre dawn with lots (100's) of folks walking and then again later when stragglers were still out there.

It was a great day. Thanks to all for sharing. Our family bought a black lab from a farm on the way home :)

Last updated: 2008-10-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:31 | 2112 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 118/305
Overall: 628/2300
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:48
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
02:56:21 | 56 miles | 19.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/305
Overall: 0/2300
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:31
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:22:00 | 13.1 miles | 10m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 166/305
Overall: 1010/2300
Performance: Below average
Course: Hilly
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %4% es
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-10-07 3:36 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

2008-10-07 3:42 PM
in reply to: #1724961

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron
Congrats on a great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed