General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 44m 50s
Overall Rank = 84/1929
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/219
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0330 and had the usual breakfast bagel with peanut butter a bowl of oatmeal and a cup of coffee. Packed everything up and left the house at about 0445. Drove the 30 min to decker lake and arrived at around 0515. Stood in line waiting for the bus to transition. Made it to transition got body marked the got my corral set up. Filled water bottles, and then hit the portas. Around 0710 they announced that the start was gonna be pushed back some due to the busses and athletes just arriving. Grabbed the wetsuit and headed dwon towrds the lake.
Event warmup:

Ran for around 10 min nice and steady just to get the HR up, other than that no swim or bike WU.
Swim
  • 20m 11s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

Decided the night before that if it was wetsuit legal why not go ahed and wear the wetsuit and save some of the legs for later in the day. There were a lot of waves ahead of my age group so I found my family and talked with them for a while as the other waves were starting. Got into the wetsuit and popped a Gu and a cup of water, then I saw my wave stating to form up so I headed in. Hit the water and it was cooler than I expected especially after last years bath water temp. Started out on the far left and just stayed there. The buoys were very easy to sight as they were huge. The first bit of the swim was fine but as it went on the course got pretty crowded and there was much weaving in and out and trying to avoid getting kicked. It was good that they changed the dirction and we only had to deal with the sun for a little bit until the first turn after that it was pretty much out of sight. The rest of the swim was pretty uneventful.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Long run form the lake to transition, got to the bike and got the wetsuit off and got going. Transition was pretty crowded and I had to dodge a few folks here and there and right at the end of my row was a tree that had to be ducked under. Coming out to the mount line there were a lot of people getting on, got on and got going but did not get in my shoes until I made the turn into the expo center becasue of the number of people on the course.

Move a little faster, overall not too bad.
Bike
  • 2h 35m 2s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.67 mile/hr
Comments:

The start of the bike I was really suprised at the number of people on the course and thought oh it will get better as the ride gors on there is 56 miles to spread out on. Well as the ride went on I was agin suprised that it really did not get any less crowded. Keith was not kidding when he said in the race brief that some of the roads had some pretty deep crcks in them. About an hour into the ride I came around a corner and a ldy in fornt of me put her back wheel in one of those cracks came very close to biting it. She somehow avoided wiping but in the process lost her bottles on her rear hydration cages which I had to dodge. As I passed I asked in she was okay and she said yeah close call. The ride went pretty well there were some streches where there was a pretty stiff headwind but then you would make a turn and be sailing beause the wind was at your back. There were quite a few little groups that formed out on the course and it was hard to pass at times due to road conditions forcing folks to the left. The alst few miles of the ride dropped to a lower gear and started to spin a little to get the legs ready to run. The last hill wasn't too bad and it got my HR up alittle heading into T2.

Maybe take some more calories on the bike. 600 cals of infinit and 200 cal gel, plus 80 oz of water. Brough two salt tabs but did not take them.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Came into the dismount line and there were a lot of people again, plus I waited just a little too long to get my fett out of my shoes so that slowed me down a bit. I did not get a good moving jump off the bike and actually stopped and dismounted. When I got into transition ducked the tree again and then ran past my spot... oops.

Get my feet out of my shoes sooner and get good rolling leap off the bike. And not run by my rack spot.
Run
  • 1h 45m 46s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Hit the run and just started out steady. i told myself I am not going to blow this like last year. The first thing I noticed was that the conditions were a lot different, it was hot but it was overcast and there was nice breeze out on the course. Just kept plugging away at this run and felt really good, slowed just a little through every other aid station for some water. Made it up qudzilla the first time it was slow but steady and when I got to the top the legs felt good, ran by transition and started out on the second loop. I thought to myself I need to take in a gel, but for some reason did not do it. Made it back from the expo cneter and back into the park and right around mile ten I started to feel it a little and the legs started to slow down. Also felt the quads a hammys start to cramp a little. But I told my self just keep running you are almost there. Hit quadzilla the second time and oh did it burn but I made it up without walking even though it was pretty slow. Got to the top and picked it up a little more. Made it through the last little bit and made the final right hand turn to head to the finish line, hit the chute and had no idea waht my time was, but I knew that my second loop of the run was 11 min slower than the first. Got my medal, water bottle and cold towel.

Take in soome more nutrtion early in the run. The only thing I took in was water and that ended up costing me towards the end of the run. However this year was much better than last, and I improved my run by 25 min and did not have to walk at all so I am very pleased.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked aroundf met up with the fam and ate some food. When I finally got my results I was very pleased and this race is a PR at this distance by almost 31 min.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrtion was much better than last year but I still have some fine tuning to do.

Event comments:

Once again Keith and the folks at endorfun did a great job with this race. Everything was top notch, and I look forwrd to racing this for years to come.

Last updated: 2008-02-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:11 | 1931 meters | 01m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/219
Overall: 25/1929
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix john
Course: Counter clockwise rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:35:02 | 56 miles | 21.67 mile/hr
Overall: 145/1929
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 56 mile loop
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:45:46 | 13.1 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Overall: 151/1929
Performance: Average
Course: Two Looper with a killa hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-10-08 12:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

2008-10-08 8:11 AM
in reply to: #1726108

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron
Nice job rob! Great PR and solid all around. I wish i could have done this race but my move changed my training a the little storm (ike) caused a little havic! Keep it up!
2008-10-08 9:00 AM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
great job at longhorn and way to exercise those demons from last year. enjoy the off season and i will see you on the courses next year!
2008-10-08 9:16 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Awesome fast race!! I knew you were going to be fast at this one after your other race performances this year!  Sounds like lots of us missed our transition spot at some point in the day--must've been contagious!! Congrats and great job!
2008-10-08 9:16 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Smokin' fast as usual with stellar splits.

Always a very competitive AG.

Good job!
2008-10-08 11:22 PM

User image

Veteran
The Colony, TX
Sub 5 hrs? I can't even fathom that. Awesome race and killer splits across the board. Congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed