Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-10-12 9:07 AM
in reply to: #1735185

User image

Tyler,
Subject: RE: Almost Died
DaveyG - 2008-10-11 1:26 PM

I attended a clinic today for a triathlon I'm doing in 2 weeks.  I did the same clinic two weeks ago and it went really well.  During that clinic, I was the third swimmer out of the water and felt that the swim was, by far, the easiest part.  I was not so fortunate today. 

There is a high wind advisory in the area today with gusts in the forcast of over 50 knots.  I thought this might pose a challenge on the ride, but didn't consider the OWS implications.  Upon getting into the water, I was immediately shocked by how much colder it was than last time.  It felt very much like ice water to me.  As soon as it hit my ear drums, I suffered from equilibrium issues.   A strong swimmer, I powered ahead with the lead pack until I got out into the open... where the waves were.

The relentless waves combined with the equilibrium issues I was having made me feel like I had just consumed a case of vodka.  I found myself completely disoriented as I was continually battered by waves.  The best way I can explain this is that it was like being in a washing machine.

I had come to understand that I could no longer determine up from down.  Every time I went to catch a breath, I was greeting by a wave, filling my mouth with water instead of air.  I was getting air about every 8-10 strokes.  I tried floating on my back, but kept getting shoved around by waves and still couldn't get air.  I started hyperventilating and then panicked.

Once the panic came I knew I was completely screwed.  As much as I have learned here at BT about not panicking, I couldn't help it, and that was about to be the end of me.  I put my hand up and yelled for help... no one.  I looked around and found nothing, and I was way too far from shore to get there myself.  I was sure I was about to go under.  As a matter of fact, I have never in my life been so sure of something as I was certain that I was about 10 seconds away from drowning.  I had pretty much resigned myself to my fate. 

Then a woman yelled out "Who needs help?".  She was probably 20 years older than I and admittedly a slow swimmer.  She wasn't going to be able to physically rescue me.  She immediately started talking to me, asked my name and promised to swim with me.  What she did is calm me down.  She got me out of my hyperventilation and got my mind out of panic.  A few minutes later, a kayak showed up and I hung on the back for 30 seconds then made a beeline for the exit.

I'm convinced that woman saved my life.  I was in such a frenzy that I was dooming myself to drowning.  I'll be forever grateful to that woman for using her mind to rescue me even though there was nothing she could physically do.

That was an experience I'll never forget, and will go down as one of my all time greatest learning experiences.  I'm sure that it will never happen again.  As sit in my chair, still shaking and scared to death, I'm grateful for the experience.

I learned some very, very valuable lessons today.  First, I learned that people are good.  I'm so grateful for that woman's help that I'm not sure how I'll ever be able to see anything but the good in everyone.  Second, I learned that panic is doom, and that I was dooming myself to drowning.  There is no reason I should have been at risk of drowning, but I forced myself toward a very dangerous path.

I also learned that wearing earplugs in really cold water is a really good idea.  I should have also slowed WAY, WAY down during the first half.  Two weeks ago, I tackled the first half with trepidation and turned on the gas during the last half, after I got comfortable.  This was a sound strategy.  I got cocky and tried the opposite today and found myself without the energy I needed when things started getting rough.

The most important thing I'm taking out of this, and what I hope everyone with the potential to find themselves in my situation understands is, never, ever, ever panic.  It's the worst thing you could possibly do.  Just before you panic you'll come to a fork in the road.  One direction is zen, and survival.  The other path is chaos a shortcut to doom.

I have read many stories about people who needed help during races, and should not be in the water.  I would internally judge them as being weak and I was wrong.  As an accomplished lap swimmer in outstanding shape, I now understand that success at open water swimming relies as much, if not more, on state of mind and experience as it does on fitness.

I don't think I'm being overly dramatic about my experience.  I'm not sure anyone who has not been there could completely understand.  This was much more than a failed swim; it was an experience that I'll never foget.  I hope my story will help other new triathletes to avoid the same fate.

Dave

great advice, but you didn't drink vodka you would have never known

2008-10-12 2:36 PM

I know what you send through DavyG - I almost drowned in a lake when I was 18 one time.  Had too much to drink, it was 12:00 at night and a friend and I turned over a canoe in the middle of a lake, tried to swim to shore, it was cold out etc....  I panicked about halfway, my jeans got stuck on my feet, didn't know what to do.  My friend who was a good swimmer tried to save but I was flailing around and he couldn't get to me, so he swam to shore to get help.

After he left I actually went under and was on my down.  Something ocurred to me that I could do the breast stroke the rest of the way, so I calmed myself down, did the breast stroke to shore and passed out.

My friend had gone back and gotten a boat - they were about to call the police when they saw me.  It was by far the scariest day of my life - I still have nightmares about it.

I think your comments about not panicking is key - I panicked at first, but then calmed down and that's what saved me. 

2008-10-12 9:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Would like to point out that for most of us reading this thread, the most valuable part of DaveyG's story is the approach the woman who helped him took. If you come across a swimmer who's started to panic in OWS, follow her example and use your head and voice to handle the situation.

Stay safely clear, get the attention of a lifeguard/official/passer by in a boat and attempt to communicate with the person in trouble to keep them calm till help arrives. Unless you've had lots of training, practice and experience, it will likely turn out bad if you get close enough for them to get their hands on you.

2008-10-12 10:07 PM
in reply to: #1737550

Expert
Southeast
2008-10-12
wingsfan - 2008-10-12 10:25 PM

Would like to point out that for most of us reading this thread, the most valuable part of DaveyG's story is the approach the woman who helped him took. If you come across a swimmer who's started to panic in OWS, follow her example and use your head and voice to handle the situation.

Stay safely clear, get the attention of a lifeguard/official/passer by in a boat and attempt to communicate with the person in trouble to keep them calm till help arrives. Unless you've had lots of training, practice and experience, it will likely turn out bad if you get close enough for them to get their hands on you.

Just want to say X10 to this. I'm NOT experienced in OWS (only a few), but have many years of difficult rock climbing (still do it casually, and much easier routes) and many (10 or so) times have been in a situation where somebody was panicking and had to be calmed down. This cannot be done up close, because the panicked person will grab you. I've seen it happen, and the worst time I saw it, both grabber and grabee ended up with seriously and permanently broken bodies. Help them from afar. It might seem cruel and contrary to nature, but it is best for you AND them. I've helped from afar around 10 times, always successfully. I've seen 'help' given up close a few times, never with good results, and once with disastrous results.

Edited by mdickson68 2008-10-12 10:09 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Almost Died Rss Feed  

of 2