Hightstown-East Windsor YMCA
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 30m 9s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F20-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate a luna bar, heating pad while I drove over.
Event warmup:

Not much, since I got there with only 15 minutes to spare (they ended up starting late anyway). I stretched some, but not as much as I normally do.
Run
  • 30m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

It was ok. I haven't worked out since the Hightstown tri two weeks ago, so I wasn't expecting much. I really signed up for fun, to do a race with Elizabeth, who recently started to run to train for a half-marathon in January. I wanted her to get some actual race experience. We ended up running a nice amount of it together, which was fun. It wasn't a fast 5K for me, but it was pretty consistent with the way I've been running lately.
What would you do differently?:

Training is good. But I think I'm going to stop running for a few months to let my knees and IT bands heal. I also might want to look into stabilizing knee supports for when I have to run on pavement. That might be contributing to the inflammation.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit. Not too much, though, because Elizabeth's leg hurt more when she walked on it. At least I'm not alone in the injury department.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. Although I didn't feel out of shape, I was not mentally into it. My brain doesn't like running right now, so I have a hard time keeping myself going at the pace I want to.

Event comments:

This was the first time they've run the race, so there were some hangups. The course was marked with chalk on the street as well as signs, but the race leaders still apparently managed to go off course (I think that's their fault more than the race organizers). The race started late, mainly because many participants thought that registration, not the race, was at 8:30. But it was still a nice, low-key local event. I would definitely consider doing it again next year.

Last updated: 2008-10-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:09 | 03.11 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Around residential streets. Some small hills. One section at the end was the same as the bike course from the Hightstown sprint tri.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No