General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New registration process for IM events Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-11 8:13 PM

User image

Master
Subject: New registration process for IM events

not sure how long the time delay between reg and final sign up will be but I imagine it would allow people to drop out and open up more spots rather than waiting for race weekend to find out if ther are no shows.

http://www.nasports.com/news/fullstory.php?storyid=806

New Onsite Registration Procedures for North America Sports Races
Author: staff    October 10, 2008

Due to the tremendous growth of onsite registration, North America Sports will be implementing new onsite registration procedures. These new procedures will launch at Ford Ironman Florida and will be as follows:

•     Each athlete will fill out a form that will include their first & last name, birthdate, email address and phone number. This form will also include instructions on how the registration process will work. You will need to bring your photo ID and a credit card for payment, no checks or cash will be accepted.
•     Laptop computers will be used by our volunteers to take the prospective athlete’s contact and credit card information on-site. The volunteer will enter in the prospective athlete’s information directly into Active. They will then get the athlete’s credit card information and charge them the race entry fee.
•     The prospective athlete will receive a copy of the form they filled out as a receipt, which will outline when and how to complete the registration process. They will also receive a reminder via email.
•     After receiving the confirmation email the athlete will have a spot reserved for them in the event. However, the participant will still need to go back to Active.com during a specified timeframe to complete their online registration. Any athlete that does not follow this procedure will not be considered registered for the event.
•     The athlete will follow the same on-line procedure as before. They will access the Ford Ironman Florida event via a specific registration link, select their name from the athlete drop down bar and enter in their unique password. However, the online entry will not have a payment associated with it as they have already paid the entry fee.
•     The athlete will receive a set amount of time (1-2 weeks) to let them complete the registration.
This system will ensure fairness to all athletes wishing to sign up for NA Sports races. Under the previous system a number of certificates distributed at on-site registration were not redeemed and this created a situation requiring NA Sports to reopen on-line entries. People who attempted to enter on-line immediately after it opened and were closed out may not be aware of the additional spots available at a later date. This should no longer be the case going forward.

This new procedure allows the prospective athlete’s information to be put directly into the Active.com database so that it is accurate and has no chance of getting misplaced. It may take a little longer in the beginning so we ask that you be patient with our volunteers and staff.

2008-10-11 8:37 PM
in reply to: #1735995

User image

Expert
Mississippi
Subject: RE: New registration process for IM events

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you so much for posting this!  I probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise and I'll be attempting to register for IM onsite.  Thanks again!

2008-10-12 5:02 AM

User image

Expert
Thanks! I'm going to volunteer at IMFL just so I can sign up onsite for 2009, so hopefully this works out well!
2008-10-14 10:22 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

I'm very pleased about this too, as I suspect it will allow for more on-line signups. I once "signed up" for IMFL in person even though I was 50/50 on whether I wanted to do it the next year.  I would have never done that if it was going to cost me $500.

So if you pay your money and then don't complete the registration in 2 weeks, do you get any money back?????

I'm guessing there will be less spots handed out overall, since in theory the dropout rate will be much lower since people have handed over the $$$.

As mentioned above... thank you thank you thank you, but for different reasons.

2008-10-14 2:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
So does this mean that for me to enter an IM I would have to go to the race and sign up the year before? Not that my fatazz will ever do one, but still a little confused.
2008-10-14 3:10 PM
in reply to: #1742193

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

No, there will still (normally) be online sign up available except the uber-popular events like Lake Placid and Canada which usually sell out on site now.

This just means that if you go to sign up on site, you pay at the same time.  It will (hopefully) cut down on the "Let me get a voucher just in case I want to do it" crowd.

As I mentioned over in the irondistance forum ... I'm all for this policy change.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New registration process for IM events Rss Feed