Midwest Sports Events
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 33m 16s
Overall Rank = 343/444
Age Group = F 20-24
Age Group Rank = 6/9
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 5:20, got dressed, and double checked my gear. It was around this time that I realized my hip flexors and several other muscles in my body were rather sore from the yoga and pilates from yesterday. I was not sure how it was going to affect my performance. Ate a bagel with peanut butter and an apple juice around 5:30. Loaded my bike and doubled checked to make sure there was still air in the tires. Did some other stuff around the house and then got ready to go. On the way up the road, the check engine light came on and the family and I backtracked home to get a second car so we wouldn't get stuck if the car decided to die. It gave me a little bit of pre-race panic because you don't want to have to worry about things like this. Got to Lambeau, parked, got the bike and bag out then went to go stand in line to pick up packet. It took forever, then chip pickup and body marking; again a line and it took forever. Went to go set up my transition area, then got into the bathroom line that was like LONG. It took well over 15 minutes; not enough potties!!!!!
Event warmup:

Had to walk to the start line way on the other side of the parking lot so I considered that my warm-up.
Run
  • 28m 18s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

The race started off in wave of 50 at the two minute mark, so I was wave 3 and watched the first two waves go off. I didn't get too far up because I knew there would be a wild sprint off the line. As soon as the gun went off, I started off, Mom and Dad taking pictures, cheering me on. I knew I started off fast but I wasn't sure just how fast because I didn't have my Garmin on. There was a water stop around .5 mile and I didn't grab anything there. When I hit the mile 1 marker, my watch said around 8:30 so I slowed it down a bit. There was a big hill around 1.5 miles and I was forced to walk up that but as soon as I got to the top, I kept going. My spin buddy from am spin caught up to me just past the hill and we talked for a few minutes before she continued on. The waterstop repeated at mile 2 and I grabbed some water there and did a bit of walking before started up again. I was well on pace for a great run and made my way around Lambeau Field to the transition area.
What would you do differently?:

Again, I went out way too fast... but I really don't think that can be helped... if anything I just need to work on slowing down. I should have taken some gatorade at the waterstop not water because I needed the calories later on. I pushed about as hard as I could handle, but still missed moving up an age group rank by about 25 seconds. I was also having a lot of problems with tight calfs and just a lack of energy in my legs.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

This was a pretty good transition even though I was one of the slowest in my age group. I had to get out of my socks and then get into my bike shoes, put the helmet on and put the sunglasses on. They were fogged of course.

I think I need to get bike shoes that only have one strap not three and practice, practice, practice like usual.
Bike
  • 1h 52m 1s
  • 32 miles
  • 17.14 mile/hr
Comments:

It is really nice to have the police officers stop traffic. Got to the mount line and got going. The first road was rather bumpy and I just tried to get up to speed and find a comfortable pace. Hit my first set of train tracks around mile 1 with the first big turn. I was getting passed by a lot of people, a lot of people! Kept going, pushing at as fast as comfortable. Around a turn, probably around mile 3, my bike pump wiggled loose and I had to stop to pick it up because I was afraid if I left it, I was going to need it. Kept going hard, crossed the DePere bridge and left down towards Wrightstown. Felt the first bit of breeze from the south and knew that was going to become a challenge as the miles continued on. Went through some of the most beautiful trees and colors I have ever seen. Some trees framed the road and it would have made great pictures if I had a camera, however, I had a race to ride. Went down a few roads that had a hard headwind and a few that were in rather bad shape. It was a passing fest between everyone and there was a lot of drafting going on even though it wasn't suppose to be legal. Around half way to Wrightstown, I just began to hurt. Different areas of my body depending on how I was sitting on the bike were just aching. I realized that I wasn't consuming enough of calories so I increased that, but the wind was causing problems as well. Finally got to Wrightstown, had a gel, and conquered the biggest hill of the race, the bridge across the river in Wrightstown. Changed off my water waterbottle for a new bottle of gatorade and started drinking that immediately. Got outside of town and just started rocking it. My average up to that point was around 17.0 mph or so. A very nice woman caught up to me and we road side by side for a bunch of miles just talking, keeping each other at a good pace. Thanks Chris for the company! Got back to DePere, kept drinking the gatorade and just kept going. I wasn't sure where I was on the course because I actually didn't change my computer to distance. Finally I got to the place where the course overlapped and just kept on powering away. I wasn't honestly sure when I got to the end if my legs were going to handle another mile, but I gave it my all and just hoped for the best.

This one is hard... I was just hurting the whole ride no matter was position I was in. My hands were going numb and well I just was stuck. I didn't take in enough calories early enough and that hurt me. I also noticed that a lot of the people passing me were riding very nice bikes with aerobars and triathlon bikes. I need to make some bike decisions.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

I rubbed the bike weird down my leg when I was jumping off because there were a few people dismounting with me. Ran with the bike unlike many others. Then I had to take the helmet off, put on my socks, put on my shoes and get going again. My parents were all around snapping pictures.

Not much... I wish I could run without socks... but oh well.
Run
  • 10m 2s
  • 1 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Just a single mile... started running out of transition and was able to run till the hill out of the parking lot where I let myself walk a bit and get some gatorade and drink that down. Continued running but was forced to walk again but only for a small distance. Then I ran again and just kept running just trying to turn my feet over time and again. I was getting close and the finish was near so I tried to pick it up a bit and got myself across that finish line as fast as possible! Mom and Dad were going nuts when they saw me cross!

Try not to walk, but again, this was one very painful race for me.
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed some water, filled out a pre-race survey to get a goody bag, grabbed some water and found my parents. Walk around a bit to try and cool down the legs. The food line was horribly long so I got my finish time, packed up my transition area and left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

You know this one was really weird... based off my training in the past few weeks you would think I was really ready to go. Granted my times did come in really good, but I thought it would have been a more comfortable race. I think the yoga and pilates from the day before really hurt the comfort level and then you can't help but question if I wasn't hurting would I have been faster. Who knows.

Event comments:

I was rather disappointed with this race. There was 8 port-a-potties for everyone. There was lines everywhere. The race started late. The police were not very friendly. It just didn't seem nearly as put together as it could have been.

Last updated: 2008-08-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:18 | 03 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/9
Overall: 392/444
Performance: Good
When I checked my watch at mile 1, it was around 8:30 or so... way too fast!!
Course: The race start, transition, and finishline are all in the Lambeau Field parking lot. The first leg heads down Barberry Ln into the quiet neighborhoods near Lambeau, eventually circling Lambeau Field then heading back to the transition area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:29
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:52:01 | 32 miles | 17.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 329/444
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Enjoy the beautiful peak colors of the fall season! The bike course follows out on Broadway into DePere and crossing over the bridge and out onto Hwy 32/57. The course follows onto Fox River Drive back to the Hwy then onto a rustic road. The course continues into Wrightstown and follows the river out and back. This is a beautiful course with a few rolling hills. Elevation map is posted! The road conditions were a little bit of smooth and a little bit of rough. There were probably about 8 sets of train tracks.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:10:02 | 01 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 334/444
Performance: Average
Course: The second leg is a loop around Barberry Ln and back into the Lambeau Field parking lot.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-10-12 5:08 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: Green Bay Duathlon

2008-10-12 5:58 PM
in reply to: #1737062

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI
Subject: RE: Green Bay Duathlon

You had a great race, Pam! Especially when you were feeling sore.....those are tough races. Your times look really good to me....despite how you felt & wind issues. Keep your chin up & if it makes you feel any better, you did way better than I would have Smile

2008-10-12 6:11 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
hey nice job!!.. I didnt know any other Bters were going to be there besides Jason and I - would have been cool to meet you
2008-10-12 6:12 PM

User image

Master
Great Job!
2008-10-12 8:17 PM

User image

Regular
Waukesha, Wisconsin

Nice job!  The weather was perfect, and the scenery was so nice.  I agree with you, about the lines of people, the slight lack in organization, and the tremendous amount of drafting!  I sure hope the "one" draft marshal I saw busted a bunch of them.  Again, great job, and now you and I both need to make decisions about taking this to the next level... 

2008-10-13 5:37 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Terrific job out there!  Windy rides are hard, like a hill you can't see but sure as heck feel.  I hate long porta potty lines...when will RD's realize they need more porta potties on race day?  It isn't just the athletes using them...volunteers, spectators...officials....

2008-10-13 11:53 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco

sounds like you did a great job to me!  Racing is always uncomfortable at some level.  Your times seem solid.

How great to have your folks there.  Since they were taking so many pictures, how about posting some for us to enjoy?

2008-10-13 7:21 PM
in reply to: #1738615

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
enginerd - 2008-10-13 11:53 AM

sounds like you did a great job to me! Racing is always uncomfortable at some level. Your times seem solid.

How great to have your folks there. Since they were taking so many pictures, how about posting some for us to enjoy?

The pictures will go up as soon as I pick them up tomorrow!  Thanks for all the comments! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Green Bay Duathlon Rss Feed