IMG
20C / 68F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 17m 32s
Overall Rank = /7700
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had a good night's sleep and was ready to get up when my alarm went off at 5:30. Had some juice and toast with honey and jumped in the car to make my way there. Getting there required a couple of illegal right hand turns due to the roads being closed so early. Oops!
Event warmup:

Parked the car near work and walked the 20mins to the start line. A nice gentle warm up. Took a Gu 15 mins before the 7.00am start and got in line with the other 7000+ competitors. Turns out I was place just next to the 2:20 pacer. I knew I was in the right place!
Run
  • 2h 17m 32s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 06m 31s  min/km
Comments:

I'm stoked! This is fives minute or so off my pb for a half mary. Given my general lack of training and focus I could not be happier with this time. I had moments of feeling really strong and like I was in a great rhythm, I rarely get that! My HR was sky high, but I was running scared. Scared that I'd be passed by the 2:20 pacer. The aim was to stay ahead of her the entire way.

At about 7km to go I'd lost a bit of pace and could see her flag and hear her encouragement of her little group behind me. I was determined to stay in front. I had to dig deep to maintain my pace up St Kilda Rd, but I found myself passing many that had passed me early on. As we got to Fed Square her little group got in front of me, so I tacked myself onto her group. As I passed the cheer squad from my club there was a massive roar. I got in front of the 2:20 pacing group and kickd it up a notch as we entered the MCG. It was pretty awesome to be running on the 'G!

I saw 2:18 on the clock and knew I could go under 2:20. I was so in the zone I didn't hear my boy cheering for me. I clocked in at 2:19, knowing that it took me a little while to get over the mat at the start. I really thought I'd run closer to 2:30.

What would you do differently?:

Consistent training always helps. Use body glide. Five blisters on my right foot and some chafing under my arms where my singlet sits were the points of concern.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with one of the Docs I'd worked with earlier this year. She'd been helping out at the finish line where a guy had collapsed. She'd run a sub 2 for her first half, I was so proud of her!

We got something to drink & eat and our goody bag and said goodbye. It was time to find the boy. 40 minutes later we AMAZINGLY found each other. I wasn't sure he was going to make it, given I knew he'd been to his school reunion the night before. He admitted that when he saw me cross the finish line he got a bit emotional. He said he was really proud.

Later on in the afternoon we headed to Williamstown beach so I could stand in the freezing cold water. My legs felt pretty good after that!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably under easier conditions I could have done slightly better. It was our first hot day of the year. Training conditions never mimicked the hot northerly wind we had.

Apart from that, of course my training could be better, but my running tends to improve over years, not months or weeks!

Event comments:

Awesome event. Melbourne broke the Australian record for the number of people racing a half at one time. Great event to be a part of.

Last updated: 2008-10-12 12:00 AM
Running
02:17:32 | 21.1 kms | 06m 31s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/7700
Performance: Good
HR was sky high! ~175 average.
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-12 9:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Samsung Melbourne Half Marathon

2008-10-13 3:11 AM
in reply to: #1737544

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: RE: Samsung Melbourne Half Marathon

Awesome work beating your PB CAsie!! great work.

how cool is that being part of a record breaking race! thats really cool. 

I think you did a fantastic job considering as you said the training leading in to it!  sometimes I wonder why we train so much and then race.  people seem to have much better races when they do sporadic training.

thats so cool that the boy was there to see you finish!

2008-10-14 1:00 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Well done Casie! Amazing race! Congratulations! Its lovely when it all comes together like that
2008-10-14 7:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane

Great strategy! Next race look for the 2:10 pacer...and let him/her have it!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Samsung Melbourne Half Marathon Rss Feed