Hudson Mohawk Road Runners
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 45m 6s
Overall Rank = 230/536
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 9/30
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6:30a, coffee, oatmeal, then Tom drove me to the start. Met a few women Tom knew who were running the marathon as well and the 5 of us stood around talking, waiting for the race to start. Eventually they called everyone over to the start area. After wishes of good luck we lined up. Several cheers of excitement as the racers watched the clock count down to race start... and we were off!!
Event warmup:

None.
Run
  • 3h 45m 6s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Although I’d been walking rather stiffly on Saturday, I felt pretty good once I got running again. So, I began to pick up the pace and pass people, despite not having warmed up. Did the first 2 miles at 8:40 pace and continued to speed up a bit from there. I enjoyed running on a bike path through forested areas far more than running up residential streets. At every spot where a road intersected the path there were cheering fans. Also lots of little kids out there hi-fiving racers. I made a point of trying to hi-5 as many as I could – including one girl who kept re-appearing further up the course with her Dad. :) At the 10k mark I realized I was only 10 seconds behind my time from Saturday. Definitely going too fast. Slowed up a bit and hit the 10 mile mark with an average pace of 8:20, but was already starting to feel tired.

I realized, I must have spent a lot of time running the numbers in my head. Every couple miles I’d be recalculating what my average pace was. Oh well. The runners had spread out a bit. I was never running alone, but there was plenty of space to move around. Continued to hold an 8:20 pace and hoping I wouldn’t fall apart. I was dreading the last 4 miles as that was where my pace had plummeted the day before. Hit the halfway point in 1:48 flat, 3 minutes behind my time from Saturday. Not bad... but that puts me on pace for another BQ... probably too fast. After 17 or so miles I had slowed down to 8:40 pace. The going was getting tough. Amazingly, my HR wasn’t too high, but my legs just felt tired, and a lovely knot had been forming in my left calf since mile 3... well, really since mile 20.5 on Saturday.

There were a few short, steep downhills as we ran on city streets. Mile 19.5 I passes a Stewarts food mart with a sign advertising “Half Gallon Ice Cream Sale”. Mmmmm... ice cream!! Temps were creeping towards 70 and my stomach was rumbling with hunger. Fooooood!! Ice cream!! That’s what they should have at aid stations... ice cream!! But I kept running. Hit the 20 mile mark and figured that if I held the 9:00 pace I had slowed to, I would finish in 3:45. Not bad, since I’d been thinking I’d run 3:45 on Saturday and 4:00 on Sunday! We were back on the bike path, so the running was nice. Aid stations were 2+ miles apart, and the last several were poorly organized, such that they didn’t have cups ready to hand to runners. WTF? Not happy about that, since I was living off the land – I carried no food or drink with me. Kept running mile marker to mile marker, checking my pace at each. 1 mile to go... woohoooo!! I realized I had been going a bit too easy the last few miles and kicked the pace back up near 8:00 and passed more people. The lack of hills made the last few miles much easier. Hit the 26 mile mark and was running all out, flying towards the finish.

What would you do differently?:

Push a bit harder near the end if it's flat.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished faster than I had planned so Tom was just arriving at the finish area as I crossed the line (no pic!). Hung around after to watch Tom’s friends finish. Then went back to Tom & Karen’s house for a shower, then they took me out for lunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A marathon the day before, perhaps?

Last updated: 2008-09-29 12:00 AM
Running
03:45:06 | 26.2 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/30
Overall: 230/536
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty much flat and fast, with a few short downhills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-10-13 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Mohawk Hudson River Marathon

2008-10-13 8:21 AM
in reply to: #1737973

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Mohawk Hudson River Marathon
2 marathons in 2 days! and the 2nd marathon was crazy fast too! You rock
2008-10-13 8:35 AM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

Amazing...2 Marathons in 2 days....Wauooooo!!!

And

You Rock Dog Pictures, Images and Photos

Edited by velorider62 2008-10-13 8:35 AM
2008-10-13 9:03 AM

User image

Niskayuna, NY

Fantastic Job running 2 marathons in 2 days!!!

2008-10-13 11:16 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
another great race.  Must be nice to know you can pull out a 3:45 marathon on tired legs
2008-10-13 2:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Yeah, you got me with the I'd like to do 4:00 so I said to Karen at about 3:45 that I should walk up to get a good spot for picture and I look up and you are already getting chip removed.

Next time slow it down....geez

Awesome job! I thought it was pretty funny how none of you warmed up at all. I guess your warm up was Hartford!

Take a bow!!!

thanks again for the yummy bread...I heated it for 22 seconds in the micro this AM and wow instant breakfast

2008-10-13 7:23 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Two marathons in two days? 

I read this cause I grew up near there....got hooked when you kept talking about the pace from the day before. 

That amazes me...first that you did the back to back marathons, second that you are do blooming fast!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mohawk Hudson River Marathon Rss Feed