Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Another Great Depression- Why or why not? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-13 4:20 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: Another Great Depression- Why or why not?
Since I'm a bit dense when it comes to these matters... let's discuss if we will see another Great Depression and why or why not.

Here are the top 5 reasons for the Great Depression. Looks like we have #1-#3 happening as we speak.

http://americanhistory.about.com/od/greatdepression/tp/greatdepress...

1. Stock Market Crash of 1929

Many believe erroneously that the stock market crash that occurred on Black Tuesday, October 29, 1929 is one and the same with the Great Depression. In fact, it was one of the major causes that led to the Great Depression. Two months after the original crash in October, stockholders had lost more than $40 billion dollars. Even though the stock market began to regain some of its losses, by the end of 1930, it just was not enough and America truly entered what is called the Great Depression.

2. Bank Failures

Throughout the 1930s over 9,000 banks failed. Bank deposits were uninsured and thus as banks failed people simply lost their savings. Surviving banks, unsure of the economic situation and concerned for their own survival, stopped being as willing to create new loans. This exasperated the situation leading to less and less expenditures.

3. Reduction in Purchasing Across the Board

With the stock market crash and the fears of further economic woes, individuals from all classes stopped purchasing items. This then led to a reduction in the number of items produced and thus a reduction in the workforce. As people lost their jobs, they were unable to keep up with paying for items they had bought through installment plans and their items were repossessed. More and more inventory began to accumulate. The unemployment rate rose above 25% which meant, of course, even less spending to help alleviate the economic situation.

4. American Economic Policy with Europe

As businesses began failing, the government created the Hawley-Smoot Tariff in 1930 to help protect American companies. This charged a high tax for imports thereby leading to less trade between America and foreign countries along with some economic retaliation.

5. Drought Conditions

While not a direct cause of the Great Depression, the drought that occurred in the Mississippi Valley in 1930 was of such proportions that many could not even pay their taxes or other debts and had to sell their farms for no profit to themselves. This was the topic of John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.

2008-10-13 4:36 PM
in reply to: #1739530

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Another Great Depression- Why or why not?

Not that I necessarily believe in the idea that the "Great Depression" is once again upon us, but #2 is very interesting.

Many folks (Even here in CoJ) are fond of pointing out that money in banks is insured (to $100,000 historically and more recently to $250,000 thanks to the Bailout Bill) and so bank failures are a non-issue.

I think that is certainly a valid point but then you consider that personal savings rates were/are at their lowest point just before this all started and much of what is being saved is not in banks, but in the stock market. (401k, Educations Funds, IRA etc.)

Back in 1929, very few individuals were invested directly in the stock market but instead relied on their banks to make the proper investment decisions and provide them with a good rate of return.

Now, much of our money is invested directly (Through Stocks, Bonds and Mutual Funds) directly in the markets and not stashed away in bank accounts.

I wonder how many folks are out there cashing in their investments (Taking huge losses) so that they can move their money into Savings Accounts. (Especially now that they can move so much more into insured accounts)

I was listening to BBC World Service the other day and heard something interesting. Many in the investment community in Europe believe that the main cause of the globalization of this crisis stems directly from the US allowing Lehman Brothers to Fail.

Not sure how much sense that makes, but I did think that was interesting.

Edited by WaterDog66 2008-10-13 4:36 PM
2008-10-13 4:39 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Oh, and #5 is interesting in that this was an unrelated event that shocked the already stressed economy with some very dire consequences.

If our economy is greatly weakened, it is much more vulnerable to greater impact from unexpected things happening. (Drought, Terrorist Attack, Harsh Winter, Energy Crisis etc.)
2008-10-13 4:41 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Well, I wonder if our bank failures will be seen, but due to something different?

Meaning, they won't fail because our money is not insured (because it is), but because of all the bad mortgages that won't get repaid?

We already know that less loans are going to be given out, and what loans are given out won't be as easy to get.
2008-10-13 4:42 PM
in reply to: #1739609

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
WaterDog66 - 2008-10-13 4:39 PM

Oh, and #5 is interesting in that this was an unrelated event that shocked the already stressed economy with some very dire consequences.

If our economy is greatly weakened, it is much more vulnerable to greater impact from unexpected things happening. (Drought, Terrorist Attack, Harsh Winter, Energy Crisis etc.)

I don't think a drought would affect us, but you make a good point about something else happening that would take us down when we are already weak.

2008-10-13 4:55 PM

User image

Runner
I don't see #1 happening right now.  Great Depression the stock market lost about 85%.  I don't think we've even come near that yet.

2008-10-13 4:59 PM

User image

Expert
Barrington Area, IL
WE are not even in a recession but people are talking depression.

It is ridiculous and irresponsible talk that does nothing but scare people with absolutely no facts behind it.

So called leaders who keep echoing that BS are fools.

Are there MAJOR financial issues right now - absolutely! Fear mongering does not help.

The DOW bounced back today - I think if all those great minds thought we were heading for a Depression they would wait for that to buy.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Another Great Depression- Why or why not? Rss Feed