General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Better strength for Aero Position Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-13 8:49 PM

Subject: Better strength for Aero Position

I've been riding a road bike for about a year, very happily, but I've been testing out tri bikes to make the switch.  I've noticed my back gets somewhat sore following the test rides. I haven't decided which bike I like best, but I'd like to get a little more comfortable being in aero position for longer time periods so I'm ready to roll once I get the new bike.

Can anyone recommend a few exercises I can do to improve the strength in my back and make the transition into a more aero position a little easier?     Thanks!

2008-10-13 9:37 PM
in reply to: #1740298

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Better strength for Aero Position
tri2692 - 2008-10-13 9:49 PM

I've been riding a road bike for about a year, very happily, but I've been testing out tri bikes to make the switch.  I've noticed my back gets somewhat sore following the test rides. I haven't decided which bike I like best, but I'd like to get a little more comfortable being in aero position for longer time periods so I'm ready to roll once I get the new bike.

Can anyone recommend a few exercises I can do to improve the strength in my back and make the transition into a more aero position a little easier?     Thanks!

Mostly time in the saddle will get you more ready.

And planks.
2008-10-13 9:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
earth

You can try adding this into your routine (assuming you are doing a total body strength program of some sort). Start on the floor. Then, if you can hold up to 3 min (3 x 1 min with good form), progress to this.... (start small and work up)

Plank - Sagittal Oscillation
Difficulty Level : Highly Advanced
Muscle Group(s) : Core
Modality : Stability
Progressions : Frontal Oscillation
Rotational Oscillation
Benefits :
  • This exercise is an advanced progression and is more proprioceptively challenging.
  • This movement is good for anyone who needs an increase demand for dynamic stability through Lumbo Pelvic Hip complex.
Pre-Requisites :
  • The client must exhibit good CORE strength, and good Inner / Outer unit integration
  • If a “Lower Crossed” type of posture is noted (i.e. excessive lordosis), a proper stretching protocol (i.e. Psoas, Rectus Femoris, Superficial Erector Spinae) must precede “loading” this exercise to ensure ideal lumbar spine lordosis, and ideal stability through the Lumbo Pelvic Hip Complex.
  • Ensure that the client is VERY proficient at a ‘prone plank’ before prescribing this exercise
Preparation :
  • Initiate a thorough dynamic warm up prior to starting this exercise, this engages the nervous system.
  • Prepare for this motion by keeping a lengthened position in the body.
Movement :
  • This movement involves a prone plank with an flexion and extension oscillation (sagittal plane)
  • Assume a prone plank position (for description – see ‘plank – prone’ in the exercise library)
  • Using only a SMALL amplitude of movement, move hips from extension to flexion – as shown
  • Perform desired amount of reps
  • TRAINERS: this exercise is designed for FULL BODY MOTION, if you notice that the client is only moving from the lumbar spine … correct immediately

2008-10-13 11:48 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
My guess is also that time in the saddle will solve your problem, but EVERYONE can benefit from a stronger lower back. Try the good morning exercise. Be sure to keep you back tightly arched during the movement; don't let it round.

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Do-the-Good-Morning-Exercise-23492...
2008-11-07 2:08 PM
in reply to: #1740466

User image

Champion
the colony texas

This one confuses me with the sagittal movement??  and the flexing/extension of pelvis, could someone shed a little more light on it.. are you moving along with the sagittal plane so as your donig the exercise your shoulder are moving left ->right->left or curving your body along your spine

22legs - 2008-10-13 9:39 PM

You can try adding this into your routine (assuming you are doing a total body strength program of some sort). Start on the floor. Then, if you can hold up to 3 min (3 x 1 min with good form), progress to this.... (start small and work up)

Plank - Sagittal Oscillation
Difficulty Level : Highly Advanced
Muscle Group(s) : Core
Modality : Stability
Progressions : Frontal Oscillation
Rotational Oscillation
Benefits :
  • This exercise is an advanced progression and is more proprioceptively challenging.
  • This movement is good for anyone who needs an increase demand for dynamic stability through Lumbo Pelvic Hip complex.
Pre-Requisites :
  • The client must exhibit good CORE strength, and good Inner / Outer unit integration
  • If a “Lower Crossed” type of posture is noted (i.e. excessive lordosis), a proper stretching protocol (i.e. Psoas, Rectus Femoris, Superficial Erector Spinae) must precede “loading” this exercise to ensure ideal lumbar spine lordosis, and ideal stability through the Lumbo Pelvic Hip Complex.
  • Ensure that the client is VERY proficient at a ‘prone plank’ before prescribing this exercise
Preparation :
  • Initiate a thorough dynamic warm up prior to starting this exercise, this engages the nervous system.
  • Prepare for this motion by keeping a lengthened position in the body.
Movement :
  • This movement involves a prone plank with an flexion and extension oscillation (sagittal plane)
  • Assume a prone plank position (for description – see ‘plank – prone’ in the exercise library)
  • Using only a SMALL amplitude of movement, move hips from extension to flexion – as shown
  • Perform desired amount of reps
  • TRAINERS: this exercise is designed for FULL BODY MOTION, if you notice that the client is only moving from the lumbar spine … correct immediately

2008-11-07 5:10 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
tri2692 - 2008-10-13 9:49 PM

Make sure you are fit for the bike.  And then ride it.  Gradually ride it more and more.  Eventually, lots.  You can do some core exercises if you want, but riding is the best and most sure way to become comfortable on the bike.

2008-11-11 8:20 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Dead Lift.
2008-11-15 12:24 PM
in reply to: #1802837

User image

Elite

Leegoocrap - 2008-11-11 9:20 PM Dead Lift.

I was wondering when someone would say that.  DL or Squats... you can't do much better for your lower back (provided one uses good form) and you get the added benefit of really strong legs as well.

bts 

2008-11-24 7:11 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
With the road bike - on flat stretches - put your forearms on the tops -  make it sot hat if there were aero bars your hands would be there but there aren't
2008-11-25 3:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO

Tri,  

Consider flexibility work in conjuction with strengthening -- quite often athletes have flexibility imbalances that result in back pain in the TT position -- especially through the front of the hip region (counterintuitive but tight hip flexors can cause a lot of back pain).  A basic flexibility program done 3x per week for 15 min a pop can offer a lot of relief.  

Also bear in mind that comfort, rather than pain tolerance, should dictate an effective tri position.  

Hope this helps, g

2008-11-25 10:40 PM
in reply to: #1740620

User image

Extreme Veteran
Upstate, SC
MikeTheBear - 2008-10-14 12:48 AM

My guess is also that time in the saddle will solve your problem, but EVERYONE can benefit from a stronger lower back. Try the good morning exercise. Be sure to keep you back tightly arched during the movement; don't let it round.

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Do-the-Good-Morning-Exercise-23492...

X2 I love this exercise.

2008-12-19 11:35 AM

User image

Bloomfield Hills, MI

Dead lift & Squats. Make sure your technique is correct and you'll make huge strides.

Good luck.

2008-12-19 12:12 PM
in reply to: #1825971

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
GordoByrn - 2008-11-25 3:21 PM

Tri,  

Consider flexibility work in conjuction with strengthening -- quite often athletes have flexibility imbalances that result in back pain in the TT position -- especially through the front of the hip region (counterintuitive but tight hip flexors can cause a lot of back pain).  A basic flexibility program done 3x per week for 15 min a pop can offer a lot of relief.  

Also bear in mind that comfort, rather than pain tolerance, should dictate an effective tri position.  

Hope this helps, g

Great advice.  There are several Yoga programs that you can get on DVD that help with imbalances for cyclists, runners, swimmers, golfers, etc.  Each sport will get you into an imbalance in your body.  We need these exercises to help that balance and "even us out".  There is a good article in a recent Runner's World about this phenomenon.

2008-12-31 1:23 PM

User image

New user

Depending on what bike you get you may have several spacers on thehandlebar stem. When I test rode my first cervelo they sent me out on a P3 with no spacers and I felt like I was going to fall forward because my seat was higher than my aero bars. I ended up buying the P2  and when I got fit for it they left the spacers in and told me to take them out gradually as my body adjusted to the aero position. I started w/ abou 3.5 Inches of spacers now I'm down to about 2. So saddle time solved my issues.. I hope by the time the season starts ill be spacerless. 

Just check and see if the bike you are looking at has that as an option. 

2009-01-06 10:31 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
1) Fit
2) Flexibility
3) Core Strength

1) A professional fit bike will make ALL the difference. I had a 20% increase in power and 100% improvement in comfort after a professional fit.
2) Low back, gluteal, hamstring flexibility along with flexibility across the upper back and shoulders is a pre-requisite. Yoga helps with all this
3) Again Yoga does double duty here. Planks are good for rectus abdominus strengthening, but neglects back extension strength and endurance. deadlifts hit the lower back but miss the abs. Just do yoga...a full session including poses like bridge, warrior 3, triagle poses, standing splits, etc, will hit it all.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Better strength for Aero Position Rss Feed