Richmond Multisports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 54s
Overall Rank = 36/218
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/38
Pre-race routine:

Stayed the night at my grandparents' house. They were out of town, so I had the place to myself and got to bed really early. Got up at 6AM, ate some toast and a banana, got dressed, and headed to the race site to pick up my packet and get set up. I felt very calm about this race, compared to the last two.
Event warmup:

Nothing, really. A little light jogging, some stretching, and trying to stay warm. It was chilly outside, so getting in the pool wasn't appealing, and I didn't start until about 8:40, so what was the point?
Swim
  • 08m 4s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

For me, this was a very good swim. The ghost of my pool swim at Reston, also a 50 meter pool, earlier this year wass haunting me. I think I redeemed myself. I was mis-seeded because of a computer error, and though I seeded myself slow, I wouldn't have seeded myself this slow. Oh well. I started off smooth and strong, not caring about anyone else, just focusing on my form and breathing. That seemed to keep me calm and kind of forget that it was a race. I always start out fast and sloppy, so I wanted to be smooth and steady. Goal met. My turns were pretty good, given that I had to watch out for people. I lost count of how many people I passed. Seriously. I was swallowing them up in great gulps, two or three at a time! What a confidence builder! At one point, I was passing a woman and I was in the middle of the lane and the person going in the opposite direction was too far over and our arms collided in the air, bringing us to a sudden, jarring, halt. It hurt. But I kept going and passed the woman I was working on. I got held up a few times because just as I would go to pass someone, they would pass the person in front of me and I would have to wait and get both of them once the passer had passed the passee. Slowed me up a little, but it didn't break my stroke.
What would you do differently?:

Not collide with someone. My arm is bruised. That's about it, since I couldn't fix the computer glitch.
Transition 1
  • 03m 45s
Comments:

Well, it was a bit shocking to run out of the pool area and into the cool morning air. It was a long run around the outside of the building to the transition area. The ground was concrete sidewalk and pavement. A little grass, but not much. And what bothered me about this run was how cold the ground was! My feet hurt from the cold! I had to stop and grab my shoes, pants, and shirt where I had left them outside the pool, and I probably should have pulled my shoes on for the run.

Pulled my shoes on, since I had them. That cold ground hurt!
Bike
  • 42m 26s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I hate my bike. It is evil. It doesn't like me. It tried to get out of doing this race, too, but I wouldn't let it. As soon as I got on the bike and started pedaling, the chain fell off! I coasted over to the side and hopped off to fix it, visions of Naylor's Beach dancing in my head. Now, for someone who knows what they are doing, a loose chain isn't a problem. But I don't know what I'm doing and the last time that happened, it took me a good 10 minutes to fix it. Fortunately, the triathlon gods were smiling down on me and two very nice guys rushed over to help me. They got the chain back on for me and sent me on my merry way. I never got a good look at them, and didn't get the chance to say much to them other than "I don't know what I'm doing" and "thank you." But I appreciate their help more than they will ever know. All in all, it probably cost me about a minute.

Back on the bike, my mechanical problems were done with. Thank goodness. I headed out and began picking people off. Going downhill was fantastic! It was like being in the front seat of Appollo's Chariot at Busch Gardens on a crisp fall day! Okay, my legs were frozen and red, but it was still wonderful! The hills on the backside of the course got me a bit, but I pushed onward and only a few people passed me. I had to break out of aero for the last mile, which saddened me because I was flying. I didn't want cramps on the run, like 3Sports.

Not dropped the chain. Big one there. Real big. Maybe pushed a little harder going up hill, but at the time I thought I was pushing as hard as I could.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Speedy transition! Love biking in my running shoes! Put the bike up and took off!

Not a darn thing!
Run
  • 26m 48s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Since it was a cool day, I didn't feel hot getting off the bike and felt no need to stop for water. Which means I didn't stop. I ran the whole way. I took the first mile easy, settling into a pace and working my legs out. I was following a girl in th Richmond Tri Club for a while, using her as my pacer, until I felt ready to go. Then I opened up a bit and kept going. One corner had quite a few people at it and they were cheering like crazy! That made me pick up the pace, too. I had to slow down to get my arm marked, but never stopped running. As we came around the last few turns back towards the finish line, I picked up the pace a bit more, even though there were no women in my AG group around me. And in a pool swim, how much does that matter anyway? I was racing myself. As we came up on the line, there was a guy and a kid in front of, the guy trying to pass the kid. I was ready to turn on the speed and sprint to the end, but I couldn't get around these two people until we came around the final turn. Like a racehorse, I let loose and flew towards the finish line, long strides gulping up the ground beneath my feet. No, not a pace I can hold for long, but I can do it for 50 yards. Thank you intervals! After I crossed the line, though, it wasn't ground I was sucking up, but air. I really pushed it at the end.

Probably nothing. I'm not willing to push people down to go a little faster. I might could've run a little faster, but I'm happy to have done a run in a tri wiht no cramps anywhere!
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't take much. Sat on a wall to cheer some of my friends towards the finish. Once they finished, I was cold! So I jogged back to transition to put some clothes on! Then I got some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being seeded incorrectly in the swim and the chain falling off my bike. That's about it. I feel like this was a great race! I gave it my all and had fun doing it! But yet, I still had energy left over at the end. It was weird going back to a Sprint after training for an Olympic. Different mind set.

Event comments:

Good race, one I will certainly do again. Things were organized and well put-together. The course was good, too. After the race, the awards ceremony took a bit long, though I know part of it was because it was the last race for RTC of the season. Plus, I always feel like RTC does awards ceremonies in a way to toot their own horn, if that makes any sense.

Last updated: 2008-09-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:04 | 437 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/38
Overall: 46/218
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Pool swim! Snake course through four lanes of a 50 meter pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:26 | 12.43 miles | 17.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/38
Overall: 52/218
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Loop along a main road, into a park and back out, and then through a neighborhood. Big downhill going out, lots of uphills through the neighborhood, and part of the uphill on the mainroad coming back in.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:48 | 03.11 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/38
Overall: 47/218
Performance: Good
Course: A course with a few little hills through a neighborhood.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-14 5:37 PM

User image

Williamsburg
Subject: Richmond Sprint Triathlon

2008-10-15 7:29 AM
in reply to: #1742786

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Richmond Sprint Triathlon
Great finish to tri season! Awesome passing folks like that in the swim!  Bike chains are possessed
2008-10-15 7:50 AM
in reply to: #1742786

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Subject: RE: Richmond Sprint Triathlon
Carrie, way to finish up the season, 4th is a perfect ending.  If that stupid chain would cooperate it would have been better, for sure! Maybe you need to have a link taken out to tighten it up?? Strong training this winter and you could be a force to reckon with!! Not that your not already
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Richmond Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed