Overall Rank = /
Age Group = CLY 225+
Age Group Rank = 7/20
Swim
  • 11m 52s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started second row in the middle slightly left. I got through the waves well and got into a good rhythm. Then a couple of people swim in front of me which I later passed during the short 100 meter swim to the first buoy. I rounded the buoy well and started down the back strait. At this point I had acclimated to cold water and had good swim rhythm. I passed several swimmers on my right and did not notice anyone on my left. This is when I realized that I either swung wide on my turn or was swimming to the left because when sight the second buoy I was far left. I had not gone beyond the lifeguards but, I defiantly swam further than necessary. I then took a diagonal strait line to the second buoy. Because of my position I did not need to turn at the second buoy. I then straitened out and used the pier to sight as I swam for shore. I noticed that I was passing several people from the previous wave as I continued to shore. I was looking back hoping to catch a wave but the surf was not that active. I was able to catch one wave for about 25 meters but it dropped me in thigh high water. I then ran out of the water and started the long 200 meter beach run to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Sight the buoy before I get that far of course.
Transition 1
  • 03m 36s
Comments:

I was able to effetely control my heart rate during the swim but the 200 meter run in the sand caused my heart rate to sky rocket. I was able to get my suit down during the run and was able to remove it quickly once at the bike rack. I rinsed my feet off and put on my helmet and sunglasses. I was a little wobbly and my feet were numb from the cold sand and water which made it difficult to put on my bike shoes. The clydesdale rack was at the run out which meant the bike out was at the other end of the transition area. I sounded like an actual clydesdale as I ran down the transition area in bike shoes.

I need to buy triathlon bike shoes so that I do not have to run in bike shoes.
Bike
  • 29m 47s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.15 mile/hr
Comments:

My heart rate was already high from the run up the beach and immediately climbing up Pier Ave. did not help lowering my heart rate. After topping Pier Ave I coasted to Valley Drive in an attempt to lower my heart rate. I also realized how cold it was going to be on the bike. I took it easy until I reached Ardmore Ave and my heart rate and PE was in acceptable levels. I then started to hammer down Ardmore. Ardmore is fast and I was screaming “on your left” as I picked off riders. The fastest part of the course was just after the Pier Ave. intersection which, is also the narrowest part of the course. I was in aero and going around 28 MPH still screaming and passing people on the left. A rider moved left which caused me to move left, I then hit a cone and yelled a profanity in front of a course marshal. I was convinced that I had just been disqualified which, ruined my performance for the next mile. I then decided that I was going to push on and let the officials work it out. The next two laps were even more crowded than the first as the female and mountain bike racers entered the course. It was so crowded that I was only able to ride aero about ten percent of the lap. I then turned onto Peir Ave. and someone yelled my race number which only furthered my suspension that I had been disqualified. I dismounted my bike fully expecting to be told that I had been disqualified which, never happened.

Not hit a cone and convince myself that I had been disqualified. If I ever have an infraction that could result in disqualification again I will not let if effect my performance.
Transition 2
  • 02m 48s

I need to buy triathlon bike shoes so that I do not have to run in bike shoes.
Run
  • 31m 53s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I could not feel my feet for the first mile due the the cold sand, cold water and well ventilated bike shoes. They finally thawed out and I could feel my toes, not that it helped me run faster. I can only run as fast as my heart rate will allow. In fact, I ran too fast a couple of times and and had to walk in order for my heart rate recover because I could not catch my breath. However, even with the walking my overall pace was my usual run pace. I could have done without the finish line being in the sand as I was dumping sand out of my running shoes for two days after the event.

Do more run training. Run training will be my focus during the winter.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

It was cold! The 200 meter run up the beach was brutal for me. The bike course was too narrow. My biggest problem is that I need to improve my overall running performance.

Event comments:

I am not sure if I will do this race again because of the cold and ridiculously narrow bike course.

Last updated: 2008-09-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:52 | 440 yards | 02m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/20
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: QRoo Ultrafull
Course: 100 meters, right 200 meters, right 100 meters
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:36
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:29:47 | 10 miles | 20.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/20
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Up Pier Ave.then three loops on Valley Drive and Ardmore Ave. with tight turns on each end then back down Pier Ave.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:31:53 | 03 miles | 10m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/20
Performance: Below average
Course: Down the strand up the stairs and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-10-14 6:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakewood, CA
Subject: The Day at the Beach Triathlon

2008-10-14 10:35 PM
in reply to: #1742824

Riverside, CA
Subject: RE: The Day at the Beach Triathlon

Nice report.  I think I was racked next to you (unless there was another guy who yelled in front of the race marshall).  We spoke after the race and I was telling you how you kicked butt in the swim and I sucked!  I was in the regular Clydesdale division

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Day at the Beach Triathlon Rss Feed