Other Resources My Cup of Joe » "If I can do it, anyone can" is BS Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-10-15 11:28 AM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA
Subject: "If I can do it, anyone can" is BS

It has recently occurred to me that the expression "if I can do it, anyone can," is bull. At least when it comes to weight loss.

I was watching a show where someone had lost weight and kept saying "if I can do it, anyone can." In fact, I use to say it all the time when I lost weight.

When I got into running marathons and now into Triathlons, I used to say "if I can do it, anyone can."

You know what? No more.

It is BS. It is disengenious. (sp?)

Why? Because it is hard F-ing work. It was hard work to lose a bunch of weight. It was hard work to keep the weight off. IT was hard work to train the many miles to run those marathons. It is hard work to get to the pool a couple times a week, run AND bike. (and keep down a regular job).

I understand the humility of this expression, meaning that I'm no one special because I did this. But you know what, you are special for having done this and most people don't. Most people take the path of least resistance and opt for the burger and fries over the grilled chicken breast. Most people opt for the nearest parking spot. Most people have more excuses then motivation.

Not everyone can do it and that's why you are special for having done it.

and that concludes today's random thought...  

2008-10-15 11:30 AM
in reply to: #1744230

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: "If I can do it, anyone can" is BS
I see where you are coming from.  I've said it and I usually mean that if I can make it through training and not die, anyone can.
2008-10-15 11:32 AM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
New slogan??

HTFU... If I can do it, anyone can!

Edited by JChristoff 2008-10-15 11:33 AM
2008-10-15 11:34 AM

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois
condorman - 2008-10-15 11:28 AM

It has recently occurred to me that the expression "if I can do it, anyone can," is bull. At least when it comes to weight loss.

I was watching a show where someone had lost weight and kept saying "if I can do it, anyone can." In fact, I use to say it all the time when I lost weight.

When I got into running marathons and now into Triathlons, I used to say "if I can do it, anyone can."

You know what? No more.

It is BS. It is disengenious. (sp?)

Why? Because it is hard F-ing work. It was hard work to lose a bunch of weight. It was hard work to keep the weight off. IT was hard work to train the many miles to run those marathons. It is hard work to get to the pool a couple times a week, run AND bike. (and keep down a regular job).

I understand the humility of this expression, meaning that I'm no one special because I did this. But you know what, you are special for having done this and most people don't. Most people take the path of least resistance and opt for the burger and fries over the grilled chicken breast. Most people opt for the nearest parking spot. Most people have more excuses then motivation.

Not everyone can do it and that's why you are special for having done it.

and that concludes today's random thought...  

I guess I still see all of the above as , "If I can do it anyone can."

The reality however is the same as with most things, the majority of people will take the path of least resistance. 

CAN they do it? YES

WILL they do it? NO

my .02

2008-10-15 11:34 AM

User image

x2.

I was commenting this morning to a friend that most people don't understand this concept. I need to stretch after running. I understand that studies have shown that most people don't necessarily have to do this. I have to.

I like to go to the extremes to prove an argument. Can anybody with hard work and determination become an NFL lineman or NBA center? No, because height and frame are pretty much genetic.

I don't need to do much to manage my weight. My friends and my family do. I get it. It is much harder for them than it is for me. I don't believe it is willpower or habits. I think they are just built differently than I am.
2008-10-15 12:47 PM
in reply to: #1744249

User image

Champion
the colony texas

So it's bad when I tell you "your right you are a loser and can't do it"

2008-10-15 12:55 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-10-15 1:05 PM

Alpharetta, GA

I used to say it all the time, too.  Then my husband asked me to stop saying it - he said I was belittling my accomplishments.  I think the above poster is accurate, anyone can do it but most won't.

I also don't say it anymore because I didn't like the response it solicited.  "Yeah, I guess I could do an ironman.  I know I could do the bike and run, the swim would be the hard part."  This from people who I'm pretty sure never biked over 10 miles or ran more than 3.  For most, the swim is the EASY part.  I got tired of listening to the rhetoric that would follow.

Also, being a woman - and an apparently very feminine looking one at that - I have a hard enough time being taken seriously.  EXAMPLE: I was standing in a line with my husband and wearing my IM finisher shirt (it had the distances and finisher on the back).  Now, at the time I was still in damn good shape.  This man behind me read my shirt, looked at my husband and said "wow, did you do that?" to my hubby.  F-U.  I get this kind of crap all the time, I don't need to bring it on myself!

Andi

EDIT: The shirt I was wearing was a small and fit perfectly - it was not oversized so as to be mistaken for me wearing my hubby's shirt.

Edited by Anditrigirl 2008-10-15 1:09 PM
2008-10-15 1:10 PM

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I agree, I do not think just anyone can do it. Physically, maybe, but triathlons are just as much mental strength as anything else. I think Triathletes are very competetive and we are the ones that buck up when we are told we can't do something.

So I do think anyone could train enough to complete a race, but not everyone can compete in a race (and I do not mean podium compete, I mean compete against theirselves compete..you dig?)

2008-10-15 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1744527

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Anditrigirl - 2008-10-15 2:05 PM

Also, being a woman - and an apparently very feminine looking one at that - I have a hard enough time being taken seriously.  EXAMPLE: I was standing in a line with my husband and wearing my IM finisher shirt (it had the distances and finisher on the back).  Now, at the time I was still in damn good shape.  This man behind me read my shirt, looked at my husband and said "wow, did you do that?" to my hubby.  F-U.  I get this kind of crap all the time, I don't need to bring it on myself!

Andi

EDIT: The shirt I was wearing was a small and fit perfectly - it was not oversized so as to be mistaken for me wearing my hubby's shirt.

Pictures are clearly called for....

2008-10-15 1:51 PM

DC Metro

I've lost a lot of weight and honestly do believe that If I can do it, anyone can.  It does take determination and mental toughness which we all have hidden inside of us, whether we know it or not.

Just because people can do it, doesn't mean they will or realize that they can.  We all have the ability within us to do it though.

2008-10-15 4:16 PM
in reply to: #1744672

I still agree with the original poster. I hate the saying "If I can do it, anyone can".

Not everyone can lose weight, but maybe most people can. Not everyone can physically do a triathlon but most people can. It is not my business to guess who is in which bunch. I also don't think we should belittle those that do or insult those that don't by using a cliche.

2008-10-15 4:38 PM
in reply to: #1745122

DC Metro

eberulf - 2008-10-15 5:16 PM I still agree with the original poster. I hate the saying "If I can do it, anyone can". Not everyone can lose weight, but maybe most people can. Not everyone can physically do a triathlon but most people can. It is not my business to guess who is in which bunch. I also don't think we should belittle those that do or insult those that don't by using a cliche.

I don't think it is belittling at all.  I would also disagree that not everyone can lose weight.  Everyone can lose weight.  Some people have medical issues that make it incredibly hard but that doesn't mean they can't.  There are also often medications for those with medical issues.  (I have a medical issue which makes it very difficult to lose weight myself)

I've also seen/read stories of paraplegics doing triathlons.  Now that isn't to say  that everyone can do a triathlon. 

I still hold that people can do things they don't think they can do, they just haven't found it within themselves to be able to do it. 

Edited by linanil 2008-10-15 4:39 PM
2008-10-15 4:42 PM

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

I believe it is true.  But there IS the big case of HTFU that has to take place.

As long as someone is physically able to do what they are out to pursue, it can be done.  The difference between those that do and those that don't becomes a mental struggle that is won or lost.

That is what BUDS and Ranger school are all about in the military.  HTFU or get out.

2008-10-17 8:28 AM
in reply to: #1745122

eberulf - 2008-10-15 3:16 PM
Not everyone can lose weight, but maybe most people can.

while I agree that not just anyone can become a pro football player, I believe that anyone can lose weight. Losing weight requires one to consume less energy than they use. Physically, this can be accomplished by anyone. I'm not arguing about HTFU, will power, dedication etc... But as a physical argument "If I can then anyone can" is true.

I also don't think we should belittle those that do or insult those that don't by using a cliche.

I see your point here, but I think the phrase is typically not used in a derogatory manner, e.g. "Cmon' lazy a$$ - I did it so you if you don't you are pathetic."

Also - I think if you believe the phrase to be true it should be demonstrated in your actions not words.
2008-10-17 8:49 AM

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Disengenious?  Sure.  BS?  No way. 

I can, I did.  It was a choice for me. 

You can.  Whether you do is a choice for you. 

When I lost weight (35#) 4 years ago, I had a lot of people ask me how I did it.  I told them it was a secret plan "eat less, exercise more." 

2008-10-17 4:30 PM
in reply to: #1749289

Champion
Northridge, California
McFuzz - 2008-10-17 6:49 AM

Disengenious?  Sure.  BS?  No way. 

I can, I did.  It was a choice for me. 

You can.  Whether you do is a choice for you. 

When I lost weight (35#) 4 years ago, I had a lot of people ask me how I did it.  I told them it was a secret plan "eat less, exercise more." 

Yup. Hell, I told Alex Trebek on camera on JEOPARDY! about my fancy-schmancy high-tech oh-so-expensive approach to losing 75 lbs: "Eat less. Eat better. Exercise every day."

When I look at my friends who are struggling with weight loss, in every single case A) there is a failure of self-discipline (they are still drinking more alcohol than they should or not cutting out sweets or not getting up off the damn couch and at least walking 20-30 minutes as a starting point) and B) they are making one or more excuses that enable their failure ("My genetics are bad," "I work too many hours," "I have too much stress in my life," etc.). And the failure leads to more low self-esteem/self-image, which leads to more self-medicating through food, which leads to...oh, well...

(And don't get me started on the amount of time spent complaining about their weight issues on their blogs and forums instead of spending that time exercising.)

It's hard...but it isn't actually impossible...in other words it can be done by pretty much everyone. It just doesn't happen as quickly as some people want to believe (especially in the United States of Don't-Tell-Me-I-Can't-Have-Something-Right-This-Minute-I-Have-A-Credit-Card). It wasn't some sort of superhuman effort for me to lose 75 lbs: To begin with I just stopped eating ice cream, upped my % of whole grains, and started walking 20-30 min. EVERY day and built from there. But the bottom line was that I was willing to make PERMANENT small changes to my lifestyle and I committed to weightloss for as long as it took (which turned out to be 20 months for my original goal of 61 lbs and 3 years to reach 75 lbs). Most people I've seen fail at self-development just give up (and self-sabotage unintentionally along the way). I see it in blogs on this site and it breaks my heart sometimes.
2008-10-17 4:43 PM

DC Metro

You know I'm always amazed at the disappointed look people get when you tell them you improved your eating habits and exercised.   People seem to think its a big secret, but its not.  I wouldn't say its easy and there are a lot of mental struggles along with physical struggles.

As I was running along with my husband this morning, he told me he was proud of me because he remembered when hiking was difficult for me but here I am running.  I was easily the fattest kid in high school at 300 lbs.  I am pretty sure I was the fattest kid in college when I graduated at 330 lbs.  Of course after college, I started to pile on more weight and that didn't help.  I would've definitely been voted the least likely to start a running program with aspirations of eventually running a marathon.  I struggled with my weight from the age of 9 to 29.  Up, down, up, up, down, etc.  Now I weigh what I probably weighed in the 5th grade, maybe 4th but yet I'm still an obese adult.  I struggle with losing the next 50 lbs but I've lost nearly 200 so its ok.  I know given time, dedication, patience, hard work, etc I can do it because its not impossible and others have done it, so I know I can too.

Edited by linanil 2008-10-17 4:45 PM
2008-10-17 5:12 PM

Champion
Calgary
Yeah, I try not to tell it to people anymore. And really, people don't want to hear it, it just makes them feel bad.
2008-10-17 5:36 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts

I think it is arrogant to assume that anybody can.

Having a medical condition that makes weight loss and child conception damn near impossible, I can say that it is not easy nor always possible to lose weight.

That is why I run marathons and am looking to join my husband in triathlons. To manage my weight as best I can and make sure that everything else stays as healthy as possible.  I do watch what I eat and run 40 to 50 miles a week, but struggle to lose and keep weight off.  I think I am putting forth the effort and I resent the people that don't jog a tenth of a mile yet through the blessing of genetics look like a supermodel and look down their nose at me.

I truly believe in the old saying of walk a mile in my shoes before you judge me. 

2008-10-17 6:12 PM
in reply to: #1750884

DC Metro
SGriepsma - 2008-10-17 6:36 PM

I think it is arrogant to assume that anybody can.

Having a medical condition that makes weight loss and child conception damn near impossible, I can say that it is not easy nor always possible to lose weight.

That is why I run marathons and am looking to join my husband in triathlons. To manage my weight as best I can and make sure that everything else stays as healthy as possible.  I do watch what I eat and run 40 to 50 miles a week, but struggle to lose and keep weight off.  I think I am putting forth the effort and I resent the people that don't jog a tenth of a mile yet through the blessing of genetics look like a supermodel and look down their nose at me.

I truly believe in the old saying of walk a mile in my shoes before you judge me. 

I don't think anyone is judging you.  I would think saying 'no, you can't do it' would be more judging you.  I have PCOS, which sounds like it may be what you have or similar.  Makes weight loss difficult along with other things like having children. 

I think you can do it.  Doesn't mean its easy but you can.

2008-10-17 6:46 PM

Master
Portland, Oregon

Sometimes "If I can do it anyone can" is more of a response to the other person's comments/whining/complaints. I lost 50#. Yeah, it was hard, yeah, I made permanent changes in my diet and exercise routine, but it was never anything huge. I certainly didn't wake up one morning and cut every last "bad" food from my diet and instantly become a triathlete. It was all baby steps. Can anyone take baby steps to accomplish a goal? Ummmm..... yeah.

I get so tired of negative/jealous/passive-aggreassive people insisting that I'm somehow superhuman for losing the weight/doing a tri. It is a backhanded compliment at the same time as excusing themselves from even trying what they so clearly want to do. (Usually lose some weight) I'm not superhuman. It was hard work for a while. I gave up quite a number of things for a while, but for most folks without genuine medical issues it is doable. Maybe it takes a single parent of 5 longer than it took me who has more free time, but with focus and a goal and figuring out how to make it work, most people can accomplish what they really want to do.   Excluding the truly unreasonable - obviously no 78 yr old great-gramma is gonna get picked for the NBA draft no matter what her focus is.

Edited by ell-in-or 2008-10-17 6:48 PM
2008-10-17 7:43 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-10-18 9:49 AM

Veteran
Anditrigirl - 2008-10-15 2:05 PM

I used to say it all the time, too.  Then my husband asked me to stop saying it - he said I was belittling my accomplishments.  I think the above poster is accurate, anyone can do it but most won't.

I also don't say it anymore because I didn't like the response it solicited.  "Yeah, I guess I could do an ironman.  I know I could do the bike and run, the swim would be the hard part."  This from people who I'm pretty sure never biked over 10 miles or ran more than 3.  For most, the swim is the EASY part.  I got tired of listening to the rhetoric that would follow.

Andi

OK - So "you've been there, done that and got the t-shirt to prove it" ... what I want to know is, how did your husband answer the question...

When the same hing happened to my wife, I quickly responded (before she got hold of his neck) with "why do you think I'm in line behind her... it's not me just being polite!" The whole line exploded with laughter>

2008-10-18 10:01 AM

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Anditrigirl - 2008-10-15 1:05 PM

Andi

A perfect time for hubby sass:  "The Ironman?  no.  The Ironwoman?  Oh yeah." 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » "If I can do it, anyone can" is BS Rss Feed  

of 2