General Discussion Race Reports! » Douglasville Last Chance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Douglasville Last Chance Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Douglasville, Georgia
United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 01m 44s
Overall Rank = 2/162
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/20
Pre-race routine:

Bowl of cereal at 5:30am, drive to race (get lost first) and drive the bike course. granola bar 1 hour before while setting up transition.
Event warmup:

Run to bathroom a few times.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Since the swim was last, arms were tired and breathing pattern was erratic. Plus since this was a serpentine swim through the pool, no chance for flip turns or rhythm, which was good because I was winded
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Good transition, found googles and put them on before I ran to the pool. Since there was no dismount line for the bike, it was hard to gauge where to jump off.
Bike
  • 35m 30s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.28 mile/hr
Comments:

Slow out of the run and passed probably 10-12 people, the last person by mile 6, never saw another biker after that and found out I was about 5 minutes behind the first place guy. Since the run was first, you could push hard on the bike and not have to worry about saving any legs.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, work a little more on hills during training.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Run to bike transition was good, sweating pretty good so when I put the sunglasses on with the helmut, they immediately fogged up so leaving the Transition was a little dicey, good thing there were a couple of people to follow.

Glasses fogging, not a problem with a regular tri.
Run
  • 22m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Lots of sprinters at the start, just stuck with my pace, at least as best as you can with the addrenaline flowing. At the 1 mile mark, started to pass the sprinters and then settled in for the race, felt good overall and wanted to make sure that the legs would be left for the bike.

Push a little harder?
Post race
Warm down:

water, chatted with fellow finishers.

Event comments:

Definately a great race for inexperienced races given there is a pool swim. The reverse concept strung out the field so the pool wasn't too crowded. I was surprised with my finish time and place thinking that there were a lot more people in front of me on the run. The bike course was challenging but since the downhills were about the same grade as the uphills, you were able to coast at a decent speed for periods of time to rest. Definately a must do next year. Split times would be nice to have.

Last updated: 2008-10-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/162
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Pool swim, serpentine style, up one lane, back the next, no flip turns because of the lane lines. Swim was last event
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:30 | 12 miles | 20.28 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Hilly course with steady grades. Steep at the 1 mile and 6.5-8 mile according to the Garmin watch. The last 2miles was a nice downhill which allowed for some coasting in the 35mph range. Seemed like there was a off camber turn at the end of each downhill that went right into a climb so momentum was hard to build.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:00 | 03.1 miles | 07m 06s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Fairly flat trail run with some ruts, roots and turns. Footing was good and the path was wide enough to not worry about getting boxed in.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-15 11:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: Douglasville Last Chance Triathlon

2008-10-19 8:23 PM
in reply to: #1746172

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Douglasville Last Chance Triathlon

Great race, brother!

Definitely a bunch of sprinters to start it, but they couldn't hang after that first mile...

What do you think of this question? The run is where you win it in a Run-Bike-Swim Tri...

I am not a strong cyclist...in fact, i was on a MTB, but i still placed 17th overall b/c i had a good run...

Good luck next year...

My goal is to beat you...

2008-10-21 9:56 PM
in reply to: #1753003

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: RE: Douglasville Last Chance Triathlon

So the question, on the Run/Bike/Swim, the run is where you win it?  I guess it all depends on the individual since I paced the run instead of full speed like a normal 5K, saving the legs for the bike.  Not sure if that was smart or not but I had plenty of energy going into the bike. Plus there is the motivation of seeing someone in front of you on the bike and feeling good to pass them.  The bike portion is >50% of the race but equipment could be an equalizer there.

So probably this race favored the runners assuming all else is equal. The swim, too short to make a difference.

As far as next year, getting to the starting line is the hardest part.  Plus it's good to have goals! My goal is to have fun, try hard and cross the line with a smile. If you ditch the MTB, I'll have to work on the run just to keep you in sight next year.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Douglasville Last Chance Triathlon Rss Feed