Huntersville, North Carolina
United States
Setup Events
Total Time = 1h 02m 49s
Overall Rank = 43/483
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/40
Pre-race routine:

As usual except to dark to cycle early. Therefore, found out 25 minutes before the race that my rear wheel was slipping and rubbing against the non-drive stay. Took 20 minutes to get this adjusted. Then had to scramble to get transition area finallized and get to swim start. Thankfully all went well from there. Bike worked great on the ride.
Event warmup:

Left leg felt great on the warm up. See above for the bike SNAFU.
Swim
  • 04m 12s
  • 250 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

This race was really all about prep for B2B in 2 weeks. I swam this at a very comfortable pace that I could easily sustain in a 1/2 iron. Time includes a fairly lengthy run to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Temps were low with wind today. Opted to take extra time to don a windproof cycling shirt. This transition could have been aprox. 20-30 seconds faster. Once again, this is a prep race.

If had been priority race would not have taken time to don shirt.
Bike
  • 30m 18s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a solid ride. Did not take the corners very aggressively because roads still damp and did not want to take any chances with injury. It is also a fact that I am not that great at cornering in a race. Still a lot to learn here.

I really rode the ride I wanted to ride in this particular race. Glad the wheel held without slipping!
Transition 2
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

I completely forgot to get on top of my shoes coming into T2. After dismounting took my shoes off and ran with them in my hand to rack the bike. Then took the windproof shirt off (was burning up). Needless to say I could have easily taken a whole minute off my time here.

The obvious
Run
  • 25m 37s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good and smooth coming out of T2. Developed the usual calf tightness for first 1/8 to 1/4 miles. No problems with the hip at all on the run!!!!! Unfortunately, that blasted left knee pain chose to hit me 1/2 mile into the run. I have not had to deal with that problem since Lake Logan. Anyway, decided not to push and just ran a comfortable pace. Pain abated some at about 2 1/2 miles and able to pick up the pace. Honestly thought I had run just under 8 minute miles (had accidently turned off my watch and did not know my actual time). I guess I was moving even slower than I thought. The good news is I was able to finish with a strong last 1/4 mile and a solid sprint at the end. I had plenty of run leg left...and that is the point with the upcoming race.

Put in for a new left knee!
Post race
Warm down:

Usual

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Above

Event comments:

For this being their first year of putting on this event they did an awesome job. Will plan to do it again next year!

Last updated: 2008-10-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:12 | 250 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/40
Overall: 53/483
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Serpentine with single lane traffic. Supper nice pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:04
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:30:18 | 10 miles | 19.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/40
Overall: 19/483
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 10 mile loop with some excellent rollers and short climbs. One road with rough surface...all others pretty smooth.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:41
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:37 | 03.11 miles | 08m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/40
Overall: 108/483
Performance: Average
Course: Nice run with some really good rolling hills. Beautiful neighborhood to run through.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-10-18 5:39 PM

New user

Subject: Take Flight Triathlon 2008

2008-10-20 10:38 AM
in reply to: #1751838

User image

Regular
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Take Flight Triathlon 2008
Congratulations on a great race! It was a really fun fast course...despite the cold! Be thankful you had that shirt on the bike! My bike time suffered from the effects of the cold!
2008-10-20 6:33 PM
in reply to: #1751838

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Take Flight Triathlon 2008

I did the race as a reminder to my body after IM Lousiville that I am supposed to train again & my husband did it as one last hurah b/f beach 2 battleship - needless to say, you guys both beat me!!  You had a solid race & made good decisions out there - that's what will be important in a week and a half - not being fast, but being smart!!  Good luck at B2B!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Take Flight Triathlon 2008 Rss Feed