barely
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 3/infini
Age Group = Clydesdale XT
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

It was a great nnite prior. we finally got to sleep. We were on a inflatable mattress and we were half way to the floor at 12:20. Not very comfortable, but neither was the floor. but slept til 6:00 and moved to Dash's room. His lil bed was more comfortable than either option last nite.

GOOD MORNING_ checked the weather - sub 40's!! and lil wind.

As race organizer I had a great deal of responsibility. I had to make sure we had groceries. Off to Pick n Save at 7:15 - got the goods. I can eat like a king this weekend. i also had to keep trying to get our bandit racer to show up with the first ever Race Volunteer. Jason is the worlds greatest support team.
Event warmup:

I put luke to sleep and then got ready after everyone else was dressed and ready to go. Warmup!?!?!?!?! There is no real way to warm up except - oh yeah - Pee yourself - AHHHHH that works. I set the video camera and off we go - time lapse camera of the swim is hilarious . .
Swim
  • 11m 51s
  • 650 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

C O L D

What else is there to say. I hit the start button and everyone was off. It was cold and tuff to get face under but eventually did. hit my groove quick, but never could catch Scott - he is good. I started behind everyone and wanted to make sure they were surviving - they were so i took off for turnaround buoy.

Hit the turnaround and swam in. I passed Jeanne on her way out, so i swam past her and then turned for a lil watch on her and let Josh go. After mayber 15 secs, I realized she was in a good groove and would have no problem today. So I turned it in and set me sites on Josh. I sprinted to catch him and realized quickly he cannot swim straight. So I set me course home and sprinted in. I kept it strong for quite awhile. I saw Scott land and just kept powering to the land. I finally go there and checked time and video'd Josh and Jeanne finishing up.

Scott was pinky and shaky but good.

T1 here we come
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really, maybe not reswim 15-20s of the course. Maybe start with everyone instead from shore. Maybe drive a boat! Or catch josh and pull off his swim cap
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Mandatory 30 min warm up pre ride - we all survived the swim and ventured back to home base. we almost had enuff time to cook eggs, but settled on drinking beer instead. Our new sponsor - Corona - definitely was not expecting this.

have another beer
Bike
  • 1h 14m 33s
  • 21.11 miles
  • 16.99 mile/hr
Comments:

As always a great ride. We launched from the garage/T1. It was a comfortable pace heading out. Nothing hard really. The group stayed together - hit each area with different leaders. Josh pulled ahead multiple times as a car tried to pass.

We came up on the Ridge rd turn faster than I thought. I yelled "Left Here" - Looked back and jeanne replied "CAR!!!" I m glad she was drinking - really observant that one. Good thing the car turned into its driveway and we turned to the hill. It was a solid climb. king of the Mountain went to Josh with Scott grabbing the second. Finally my slow self hit the top of the hill and Jeanne yells "DOG" I almost was flipped by a large puppy. Whewe - again really glad she drank before we departed.

We rolled along to cross Hwy 23 and Jeanne burst into the lead to take the helicopter. 6 miles in and the first ever woman participant grabs the helcopter. She held a solid lead along Ridge Rd. The peloton caught up and moved thru a few gravel spots. The pack broke up when Pissy Wellington (mutri) took a relief. He wasted no time to catch up to teh group paused at the next turn.

After the next turn, random riders were spotted. Josh and Scott took it upon themselves to catch them - really big of them to pass a couple in their 70's! They missed the original turn and added a few extra miles into the mix. We finally hit Kettle Moraine Scenic Dr for the return trip. The race heated up. Scott and Josh pulled ahead into a high speed no motion race. it was a close contest each time as they coasted ahead at a cadence of ZERO.

The separation closed quickly and at mile 17, Jeanne burst ahead. She took the lead and the chopper again. She created a large margin which required the chase group to pick it up before Glenbulah. Eventually it was neck and neck again.

We hit the final 2 mile sprint zone. Boom - they were off. It was a dash to the finish. the lead changed hands multiple times. Me - Scott and Josh pulled the lead on the final climb with .6 to go.

Our average for the stretch was 25 mph. It was very close and tight. Scott eventually fell back about 10 seconds and Josh was up on me just under that. i hammered it to catch him. With the final turn in he crossed the line, but as RD I decided to change the time line to a point i cross first. Very Sneaky Pete of me. So really he was fastest bike, but he will win the run anyway

Judge the final sprint better i could have gone faster, but let up a few times, but it was my first time riding in two weeks after the freak leg problems.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Hit home with a Sneaky Pete and as RD calle dgarage end of Bike - thus providing a Sneaky 1st finish, josh really beat eme back but had to do it.

WE got in and placed bikes in their spots, went in to change to runners, have a BEER, and get ready to run.

open the beer earlier so it could be flat
Run
  • 16m 35s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Again the group was together. Originally it was goning to be a 3 mile run, but we decided with a beer in gut, 2 is sufficient. So we chose Golf Course road. Nice scenic and winding road. We headed out past a lot of golfers in there golfing finest. Three men in black, one woman in pink. It was a comfortable run to the turn around - we actually were areund a 9:15m/m and laughed to turn it down. Jeanne sprinted to the lead, well the guys actually ran backwards and she WAS in front of us. The looks from the spectators were disbelief - I think we goofed up a few shots after that.

We hit the sign, slapped it and I burst out. I took the lead on the run - I created a nice gap. and as you will see in josh's RR - My plan sucked. he knew I would crash out and have nothing left. Guess what, josh and i have run this way before,and every time this happens, not today.

I kept up the torrid pace and crushed the field, oh wait, wake up. I died, I felt those two laughing behind me around 1/3 mile back. So i showed a pair of donkai ears. and quickly they passed me into the lead. I tried to hang with them as best as I could. Not shabby, I crossed the line and was still able to function.

Jeanne continued thru the whole run just behind the pack, She was held up with a side stitch. Beer can hit some people a lil funny. It was a tuff stretch, but she pulled it together to garner the hallowed Frozen Cup!!

Hold up before pushing it. Wait til the final 1/4 mile and THEN sprint to see If I could possibly beat anyone
Post race
Warm down:

Walked it off - need HR to drop after the last mile, but did not feel like death ws settign upon me like last year.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough Beer before the Bike, and having Beer before the run - it needed to be flat, not so frothy.

Event comments:

It was a great day. Cold Water, Cold Beer, Cold blooded competition. In the end, the season ends with the most fun someone can imagine. Good evening to all and hope to see more added next year. And don't forget the beer!!!!

Last updated: 2008-10-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:51 | 650 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 2/infini
Performance: Good
Suit: Of Course!!!!!!!
Course: Out and Back to the buoy by the weeds - the other buoys were pulled earlier this week so had to swim to the corner.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:14:33 | 21.11 miles | 16.99 mile/hr
Overall: 1/infini
Performance:
split 19.1 miles @ 16.4 2 mile sprint @ 25.0 mph 117 avg - 176 max
Wind: Little
Course: Out Ridge road and up the hill - 1/2 mile + climb of 140 feet - great climb. Follow ridge to 67 turn west and head back on Kettle Moraine Drive to Glenbulah and then to A and Sprint finish for 2 miles
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:16:35 | 02 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Overall: 3/infini
Performance: Good
1 mile 9:35 142-166 HR 1 mile 6:59 174-179 HR
Course: Out and Back on Golf Course Road - nice rollers , especially hill coming back sheesh
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-10-18 9:24 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Subject: Frozen Man

2008-10-18 10:44 PM
in reply to: #1752136

User image

Master
Elm Grove
Subject: RE: Frozen Man
Great  RR.  I hope to get mine posted after my ride tomorrow after church.
2008-10-18 11:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte NC
haha awesome write up! it was fun and your burst of lighting speed lasted longer than i thought it would! scott goes, "boy it sure looks like his legs slowed down but hes so damn tall we cant make up any ground on him" dont worry though, it was just that you are 7-10 kilos more than everyone and thus you whither away in the kona-esque heat!
2008-10-19 11:40 AM
in reply to: #1752277

User image

Master
piece o heaven
mutri - 2008-10-18 11:32 PM

haha awesome write up! it was fun and your burst of lighting speed lasted longer than i thought it would! scott goes, "boy it sure looks like his legs slowed down but hes so damn tall we cant make up any ground on him" dont worry though, it was just that you are 7-10 kilos more than everyone and thus you whither away in the kona-esque heat!

That heat was brutal!!! man at alomost 50, I could not hold it any longer
2008-10-19 9:08 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Most excellent report, Mr. Dental Donk!  Now I'm kicking myself for missing this.  Does this mean that there will NOT be a Nov. 18th Extra Frozen Man?
2008-10-20 8:34 AM

User image

Expert
Madison
Great report - very detailed!  I especially enjoyed the fact that Corona is the official unofficial sponsor.  Nice job!

2008-10-20 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
I see a future in directing triathlons.  Sounds like it was a blast.  Wish I coulda been there.  Thanks for sharing though.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Frozen Man Rss Feed