General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Tri Series Race 1: Raby Bay Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gatorade Tri Series Race 1: Raby Bay - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Raby Bay, Queensland
Australia
USM Events
24C / 75F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 02m 58s
Overall Rank = 480/1247
Age Group = 25-29 Female
Age Group Rank = 17/37
Pre-race routine:

Woke up. PB and banana on toast... and a whole stack of IXL bars throughout the morning. Got to the event, picked an OK spot in transition. Said hello to everyone I knew. Watched the kids races
Event warmup:

Running around with my camera getting photos of the kids races. HA HA HA
Swim
  • 08m 13s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had my earplugs in for the race. I tested them in the waves before making sure I could hear the hooter. And I could. So I wore them.

Anna and Greer from my club were in the same wave. GOOOOOO VISION!!!!

We're off and it was the most BIFFO I'd experienced in a swim to date. That being said I gave as good as I got. An elbow to the head. FUN! I'm glad we vision girls spread out a bit. :)

The biff continued until the first buoy and then the ladies to the left and right of me who were wedging me in suddenly veered away. WOOO! i had space to myself.

I sighted well and used the Boats in the canal as a guide.

Rounding the last buoy before the U turn I could feel a bit of pull from the canal. Wasn't strong enough to slow us down though. The group had thinned out to a line at this stage.

I caught "scody Girl's" tail. She had started beside me and I was determined to beat her into transition so I put some more effort into my pull coming into the exit.

I'm not sneezing at a 16th position! That was a GREAT swim today. I did everything right!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I did everything within my capacity and really did swim at race pace. I couldn't have done any better in the water if I had tried.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Tim included with BIKE
I came out of the water and felt pretty good actually. The vision crew were taking photos and I was trying to pull a pose for james - but ended up blowing a kiss - That photo I'm sending to Tim ha ha ha.
Overtook someone on the run into the bike.
Spotted Greer in transition, yelled some encouragement as I clipped up my helmet, unracked my bike and took off. Looked at my watch and had only been in there 45seconds -1:00 by the time I got on the bike. WTF! Bloody FLYING transition...
Spot my parents as i run to the mount line. They were cheering me on! I waved as I ran out.
No flying leap... This girl can't jump. I don't think I'll have it down pact before noosa...

Probably learn how to jump. Can't get the freaking leg over the back tyre and jump at the same time
Bike
  • 33m 40s
  • 15 kms
  • 26.73 km/hr
Comments:

So I'm on the bike and freaking stuffing around with my shoes - Greer goes flying past me! I get in my shoes and I'm off. I yell out to Shandell who's marshalling at the first corner... But this distracts me from the first hill. Shit. i forgot all about that one.
Took the hill in totally the wrong gear, changed down gears and stood up to try and keep cadence above 70.
Over the hill. Ha ha ha.
Now this wasn't like the enticers at all. In the enticers I could overtake almost the entire field. not at this level. It was all pretty much equal.
I somehow get to greer before the first corner.
Onto the main straight near the ormiston train station. Redland "city" council need to resurface the road. it was no where near as smooth as this time last year.
On the main straight I could smell burning rubber. Was it me? Are my brakes rubbing? Is there something wrong with my tyres?? After 20seconds the smell dissappeared...
Take my first drink on the first lap of the flats and open a gu on the way back. Downed half.
After the hot dog turn (got up out of the saddle to get speed back up before getting back into aero bars) I could smell the burnt rubber smell again. I looked to my right and there's a burnt out car. Wave of relief floods me as I realise it's not my bike! Then I shake my head... bogans...
1st turn round the roundabout. Spot my parents. They're fantastic cheering me on! Looked at my clock and cadence - 95 and 0:09:45 - So far so good! i'm on target.
Settled into the second lap and did much better on the hill.
Another drink before the turn around and blitzed back again.
Last lap - kept getting caught between girls on mountain bikes in front and guys with disc wheels coming up behind. AAAAARGH!!! Frustrating!!!
I was still on my time though when I got back to the start...
Only thing was i forgot to undo my shoes as i came into dismount. D'OH! No skating today. Stop get off and freaking trot in my cleats!

REMEMBER -
The hill
Undo my freaking shoes on the last straight...
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Time included with bike.
So I'm trotting along. All is going good. I get to my stuff and rack my bike only to knock my left knee with my fork as i lifted the bike onto the rack. OUCH!!!
Didn't worry to much about it at the time - but i'm bruised there now.
Flung the helmet off, ripped the shoes on and took off. Was faster than I thought. (OLD SHOES today with SILK STRAPPING TAPE over the worn material aroung the heel to stop blisters)
Saw the vision guys as I ran down the shoot and clicked my watch on the timing mats

Be a little more careful racking my precious bike...
Run
  • 21m 3s
  • 4 kms
  • 05m 16s  min/km
Comments:

So I'm out on the run and my left leg feels twingy. So I slow it down - take it easy. "NOOSA is more important" I tell myself as I feel what feels like a brick velcroed to my right calf/shin impact on each footstrike.
I kept looking over my shoulder - Greer was going to catch me soon... I knew it! She is the better runner!
At the first turnaround my leg felt remarkably better... So I lifted my legs a bit higher and ran with a little more OOMPH on the way back.
HI-FIVED Nat as she went out onto her second lap... and hi fived Greer as I went out onto mine...
Opened the gu I'd stuffed under my bra strap and downed half before the first water stand. Downed some water and tipped the rest over my head... The heat of the morning sun was starting to burn and my right arm was starting to feel it.
As I rounded the turn around for the last time I started to increase my pace. Hadn't stopped looking for Greer though... She was further back... Could I actually be making time here?? On the run?? What the??
I know my heart rate was up as I came back to the finish. I stumbled over the line - ha ha ha... caught my breath as someone took off my timer but at least I didn't feel totally dead.
My body wanted to give that run more, I can feel it! I just need to get my right leg to carry it there...

Nothing much. I'm glad I wore the old run shoes and not the new ones! My pace was Maddy paced so I wasn't wrecked but I wasn't "Emma snowsill" either. I am happy with it. A middle of the pack run is freaking fantastic for me! Considering in the enticers I'd have an OK swim, a top 5 ride and a bottom of the table run - This is a REALLY good result.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching, gatorade, water, watermelon...LOTS of walking LOTS of catching up with people I know from highschool.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My right leg. he he he. But at least when I settled into a rythum it went okay. I guess the next goal at this distance would be to finish this distance in under an hour. But at least I wiped almost 15mins off my LAST time at this distance. Hee hee hee.

Event comments:

To be quite honest - I almost classified this as TOO EASY - I'm sure Coach Cath would be onto that like a shot. In a way - it was almost too easy. I know the course well, I know most of the volunteers on first name basis due to the fact I grew up in the area, and even though I picked a more challenging category and distance it wasn't that much of a stretch from the longer enticers. I'm a MOP'er now! and in this race I was consistant in my positions, there wasn't a big descripancy.

USM put on a great show as always. And VISION had a great day as a team!!! We achieved a LOT!

Last updated: 2008-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:13 | 400 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 16/37
Overall: 433/1247
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 21C / 71F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:33:40 | 15 kms | 26.73 km/hr
Age Group: 15/37
Overall: 440/1247
3 laps of the usual 5km raby circuit
Wind: None
Course: 5km out to ormiston and back
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:03 | 04 kms | 05m 16s  min/km
Age Group: 19/37
Overall: 537/1247
Course: 2 x 2km laps of the usual route out masthead drive.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-10-19 5:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD
Subject: Gatorade Tri Series Race 1: Raby Bay

2008-10-19 5:52 PM
in reply to: #1752339

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria
Subject: RE: Gatorade Tri Series Race 1: Raby Bay
Great race Maddy. Was that a 15 min pb? Fantastic. Love the "Biffo" in the swim, good on ya.
2008-10-19 7:09 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Way to go!!! Im sure feeling like Emma Snowsill is just around the corner...

So have you mentioned 'too easy' to the coach yet... sounds like there will be some pretty ambitious goals by the end of the season!

2008-10-19 8:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne

Nice job on the first race for the season. Can't wait to see what your Coach has in store for you!

2008-10-21 5:03 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Awesome race Maddy! Bring on Noosa!!!

2008-10-21 2:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

Thanks Guys.    Yeah - I'm waiting for my coach to mention that one back to me. 

I'm sure I won't be saying that about Noosa!  ha ha!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Tri Series Race 1: Raby Bay Rss Feed