BBSC Endurance Sports
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 21m
Overall Rank = 375/449
Age Group = Athena 40+
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

5am: Ate a banana, a Protein Powerbar and a cup of coffee. Drank a bunch of water. Had a Gu at 7:20 right before I got in the water to warm up.

Was going to warm up on the bike and stretch, but got too caught up in the social aspect. They had all 200 LA TriClubbers rack together, so it was really fun chatting with everyone; fun, nervous, excited energy everywhere. Couldn't run warm up cuz being a point to point race, my shoes were up at T2. It was dark til 7am, so I didn't feel like venturing out to do a bike warm up either. So I sorta stood around til it was time to do the swim warm up and had to strip down to race suit.
Event warmup:

I totally forgot to stretch...the main reason I usually stretch is because I always get a stitch in my ankles as I run down the beach. But I discovered that this was a stand-in-water start, so no running necessary. But I did go down and get in the water about 30 mins prior to the start. It was LOVELY! No salt, no seaweed, no waves, no sharks to worry about! And it was crystal clear, just beautiful. I prob swam the race distance during the time I was waiting for my wave to que up. I just paddled around a bit, then swam out for 5 mins or so, then paddled around, swam back, etc, etc. Then I swam over to where my group was getting lined up, just about 5 mins before the start.
Swim
  • 17m 21s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was standing in the water and after having been told they'd announce the course to us before the start, and had my back to the course, talking to people, and all of a sudden the gun went off! No "ready, set, go"--nothing! Bang! So I had to collect myself and get moving. I was in the front on the inside, and next thing I knew, Gailg was climbing up over me!!! Ha! (As she later said, better her than someone else, I suppose!)

I was scrambling to get going, and my heart rate and breathing were immediately out of control. I wanted to stay at the front, but thought this was setting a bad tone for the day, and I wanted to feel more comfortable, so I gave myself permission to slow down and collect myself. Then I got into a nice groove--long easy strokes, 3 strokes to 1 breath. Just like a training swim (as evidenced by the training swim pace I raced!)

It was a lovely swim, but certainly not a race swim for me. I really enjoyed it!
What would you do differently?:

Uh, pay attention?
Transition 1
  • 05m 41s
Comments:

This transition was L-O-N-G!!! It was an uphill run on pavement, and my little tootsies were KILLING me, between being cold and kinda swollen for some reason, oh, god, I was in agony running up there. If you could call it running! I stopped about 5 times to stand on other people's towels that were near the chute. Once I got up there tho, I saw about 5 of the people on my rack, so that was comforting to know I hadn't lost a ton of time. They were all on their butts trying to pull off their wetsuits. Me, I just ran in, pulled on my socks and cycling shoes, donned my helmet and glasses, and off I went. (I am glad of my decision to abandon my wetsuit for good. Just not necessary!) Oh, and I ate a gel/gu packet.

The bike mount was on an uphill, and being out of breath and out of sorts, it was hard to get clipped in. Fortunately, there was alot of room, so I rode sideways a bit, flat, just to get myself in. Going up hill while trying to clip in is difficult.

I have to get some crocs or something, to leave at the bottom of transition runs like this. Had the same problem in San Diego both times.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 19s
  • 12 miles
  • 9.08 mile/hr
Comments:

OK, water was beind me, mountains ahead... time to recalibrate the brain and prepare for the next task at hand.

Looking at last year's results, I knew that I had to keep my average bike pace at 9-11mph in order to get on the podium, and that no matter how slow my run was (within reason), I could get on the podium as long as I kept to 9-11mph. Knowing that the first 4 miles was rolling, I planned on getting my ave mph up as far as possible, so as it slipped on the climb, I'd have room.

The rollers were great, got up to 25 mph several times for several good stretches. There were some short steepish climbs on these rollers, but I was devoted to getting up and over them as fast as possible so I'd have room to take it easy on the big climbs at the end.

By the time I got to the base of the climb, I was at 11.6 mph average. So only time would tell if I'd get to the top above 9.

Strangely, surprisingly, I didn't suffer at all on the big climb. It just wasn't as bad as it seemed in the car. I'd say it was roughly equivalent to Amalfi, which I climbed thrice weekly for months prior to the race. So I was good to go on the climb.

Got to the top at 9.6 or something like that, and knew I had done it! Was so pleased to have a plan and make it happen!

Nothing. I was good with this. Prob could have given it a bit more on the climb, but I kept saving it, thinking it was going to get horrible any minute.
Transition 2
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

Another long transition chute, but it went fine. Ran in--so excited about the bike. Saw Macca run in RIGHT in front of me; he was racing for our team, so he was racked in our area. It was a boost to have him there. Gave the ego a little kick.

I don't even remember taking off my cycling shoes! I just remember running out of the T2 so happy and excited. And I ate another gu/gel packet.

Probably do alot more bike/run bricks in the 2 months leading up to the race. I was REALLY lazy about it this time.
Run
  • 38m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

It was 9am by now and it was starting to get warm; almost hot actually.

I set off and got about a half mile in, and started to feel like I didn't want to run at all. It wasn't a bonk, just my legs were not feeling it after that climb. I couldn't believe it, but for the first time ever: I walked in a race! I let myself walk about 5 times, for about 30 secs each, and I stopped dead on both of the 2 water stations. I was a little disappointed, but still felt that with my bike ride, I was ok overall.

I'm still kinda disappointed at this slow pace, especially knowing how fast I've been running lately at home.

Not really sure. I think it's just a matter of fitness level.
Post race
Warm down:

They had ice cold bottles of water at the finish, and I just sat down in the finish area and chugged it...the whole thing. They also had ice cold wet towels, so I toweled my head, face and neck. THAT was refreshing!

Then I went and had a free massage...that felt good too!

Other than that, no warm down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being overweight!!!

Event comments:

I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed this race, considering how long I've been worried about it!

The LA Tri Club ended up winning the National Championship title, and it was really fun to not only participate but be able to contribute to the point count with a podium finish!

Last updated: 2008-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:21 | 820 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 244/449
Performance: Average
Suit: No
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:19:19 | 12 miles | 9.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 385/449
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Rolling for first 4 miles, with several long downhills, which was nice. Then 4 miles of climbing, with the last mile being the steepest.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:38:36 | 03.11 miles | 12m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 397/449
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-10-19 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA
Subject: Pumpkinman Triathlon

2008-10-19 2:10 PM
in reply to: #1752424

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD
Subject: RE: Pumpkinman Triathlon

Wow, you did so awesome!  What a great finish to a great triathlon season. 

Laurie

2008-10-19 10:12 PM

User image

Appleton, Wisconsin
Nicely done on the bike- and swim for that matter.  I know you've mentioned your breathing every stroke during a race, sounds like you got that worked out.  You did great!
2008-10-19 10:42 PM

User image

I didn't know you were going to be out there!   Congrats on the podium finish!!!!!!  way to go!!
2008-10-20 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA

A podium finish...first place for LATC...and a Macca sighting...what a trifecta! You rocked it girl! You had a training plan and a racing plan and really stuck to it. What a way to go out at the end of the season! I'm so proud of you!

2008-10-20 12:44 PM

User image

Expert
Awesome job! Congrats on a great race and your podium finish!

2008-10-20 3:50 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita

Great Job on a tough course .  And podium finish too Wow !

You 'll have to bring in the hardware for a show and tell     

2008-10-20 4:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am so excited for you!!! Great, great job! 
2008-10-21 1:24 PM

User image

Dana's on the podium!
2008-10-21 7:38 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

You Rock!

2008-10-21 7:45 PM

User image

Melon Presser

SUPER CONGRATS on the podium finish, being part of Nationals, and helping L.A. Tri in the points! YOU ROCK!!!

Great job getting through a nasty T1, and then such a sweet reward in T2 I am so jealous!

2008-10-22 6:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio
Great race!!  Congrats!  Looks like all of you hill climbing work paid off, woohoo!
2008-10-22 2:07 PM

User image

Regular
What a great job, I love how you approached everything logically, knowing exactly where you needed to be, sounds like your hard work paid off, you totally rocked the hilly course!  Congrats again, way to score those podium points!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pumpkinman Triathlon Rss Feed