Run Wichita
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 26m 41s
Overall Rank = 22/94
Age Group = F20-29
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

This race didn't start till 9:45 a.m. so I got to sleep in a little. Toasted a bagel (could only eat half for some reason) and drove to Old Town where they would bus us to the starting line. Stood around for 40 minutes shivering, then finally boarded the bus. Even after all of this, I was still 30 minutes early so I did a few jogs around the park while I waited. Stretched a little. Talked to a Vice President at my company who was there with his 10-year-old son doing his (the son's) first 5K. They had a strategy plan and everything, how cute! I noted that the VP was checking his Blackberry at the start line (come on!!).
Event warmup:

Since this race is in memory of a local cardiologist and his wife who tragically died in plane crash earlier this year, it was a special race. The brother of the deceased cardiologist gave a little speech beforehand, it was really moving. There were a lot of local nurses there, and classmates of the guy's neice and nephews there all supporting the family.

There was no countdown or anything, so the foghorn kind of caught me off guard. I was very near the front, so I just started running. My goal was under 27:00, as my previous 5K PR was 28:10.
Run
  • 26m 41s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Mile 1: 8:20
Mile 2: 8:36
Mile 3: 8:47
0.1: :51

Started strong! Was a little worried I'd went out too fast but just kept telling myself "this is a race! and it's only 3 miles!" Hit the first mile feeling all right - heart rate was high but I knew I just had to push it. Played rabbit with a 12-year-old boy between miles 1 and 2. Finally passed him for good. Dang kids ;)

At the aid station I saw one of my sister's friends volunteering - that was cool. Didn't take any water or anything because I didn't want to slow down. When we popped out onto Douglas Street, I saw my friend (whose sister was at the aid station) running by herself - she lives in KC but I knew she was in town for the weekend. Said hi to her and just kept trucking down Douglas.

Turned into Old Town and tried to book it, but these were brick streets. I had to run on the edge where there was a little cement strip to keep from tripping. Came into Old Town Square and finished strong! WOOT!
What would you do differently?:

Just push harder.
I set a PR by about a minute and a half so I'd say I did pretty good!
Post race
Warm down:

Water and Gatorade, walked around. Waited for Tom to be bussed in from his Marathon Relay. Found Tom and watched him get a massage. Headed to the 5K awards ceremony.

When they got to my AG, they announced 3rd place and 2nd place, then the guy got distracted and handed out an award they'd missed from a kids AG. Then he went right onto the next AG awards! I didn't think I'd won the age group, but went up to him afterwards to ask who had gotten first place. IT WAS ME!!! Holy crap I'd won my age group! I've never won anything in my life! Realized later that there were only 3, but still. I was pretty proud of that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Speed work.

Event comments:

For the first year of this race, it was great! The 5K route is the last 5K of the Wichita Marathon, and the last mile is the Bajaj Memorial Mile, in honor/memory of a local couple active in the running and triathlon community, who tragically died in a plane crash earlier this year. Wonderful race course and organization!

Last updated: 2008-10-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:41 | 03.1 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 22/94
Performance: Good
Course: From Linwood Park out to Douglas and into beautiful Old Town Wichita.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-19 7:34 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: Wesley Family 5K

2008-10-20 10:09 AM
in reply to: #1752941

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: Wesley Family 5K

congrats on the big trophy...

you going back to defend your title next year?

2008-10-21 2:01 PM
in reply to: #1752941

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Wesley Family 5K

YAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!  You brought home some hardware!!!!!!

Seeeeee, the battle with that little kid was what helped!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wesley Family 5K Rss Feed