Women's 5K Classic
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 35m 41s
Overall Rank = 940/1377
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 116/166
Pre-race routine:

Canned chunk light tuna, orange and grape juice for breakfast at 7 a.m. Hey, it worked. I was pretty well-hydrated and used the porta-potties twice before the race started at 9:45.
Event warmup:

Group warmup, walking.
Run
  • 35m 41s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I planned on walking small portions of the first mile, but only walked a very short segment. I just felt all this ENERGY! There was a bit of a head wind, and I tried to get behind other runners when I could.

The 2nd mile downhill portion is hard on my knees because of my weight, but I just let go and flew down the hill. I passed so many women on this segment.

I settled into a good pace on the third mile, but I just wanted to stop. I was getting really tired and wanted to take a walking break. But I saw that I might be able to go below 36 minutes and set a PR, so I kept going. I just kept thinking about possibly setting a PR and keeping my pace.

The is a large race and there were very many women (5,500 registered for various divisions). I did a great job of dodging the crowd and only ran into problems in the finishing stretch. Women who went out too hard were walking, but they weren't only walking on the right-hand side, they were all across the course. I said "excuse me," and "on your left," but they were oblivious. This is a race, people! One woman just stopped dead on the finish line and I thought I would run into her, but I narrowly missed.
What would you do differently?:

Possibly find a better line to run at the finish line.
Post race
Warm down:

Does collapsing count?

j/k. I did stretch, though.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crowd at finish line.

Event comments:

This is a new PR for me!

Previous PR was 36:39 and previous PR for this race (different course) was 38:25.

They only had one gluten-free post-race snack. No bananas.

(PS - KS beat me by 10 seconds! I am thrilled we are about the same speed because it gives me a training partner.)

Last updated: 2008-09-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:35:41 | 03.11 miles | 11m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/166
Overall: 0/1377
Performance:
173 average, 191 max
Course: Entire first mile is a hill, first gradual then 2 steeper portions. 2nd mile is mostly downhill, with one hill. Finally the third mile is flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes