presented by Plano Cylcing and Fitness
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 43s
Overall Rank = 21/409
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/48
Pre-race routine:

Only was woken up one time the night before because of a crying infant so I got a decent night sleep. Even though the race had a 9:30 start I wanted to get there early and chear on some of the kids racing earlier and get my transition set up so I got there at around 6:30. My tri club was a race sponsor so we got special racking which was nice since the other racks were packed.
Event warmup:

Swam 400m mostly at an easy pace but did do 100 hard in about 1:30. Then just stood around and talked and stretched some.
Swim
  • 04m 54s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

My goal was to go sub 5:00 which I accomplished but had a few things that could have made my time even faster that I will have to do next weekend. They started us about every 5 seconds and when it was my turn they said to make sure you hear your chip which I didn't so I stood there for about 5 seconds trying to get it to active and then just took off an hoped I missed it. 1st 50 went fine, did not catch anyone but was gaining. I did catch 1 person the next 50 and set my eyes on the next. I technically got to the wall before the girl I was passing but she was on the inside so I had to wait a few seconds for her to go so that cost me. I caught her right after that though. I think my first 100m was around 1:30 when I caught a glimpse of the clock. I took from 200-250 a little easy to keep my heart rate in check but the last 50 I went all out. I was on a guys heels nearing the ladder but had to wait a few more seconds for him to get up the ladder and then I had difficulties finding the steps so more wasted seconds. Swim ranking might be off though because only 250 people are listed with swim times so there must have been a problem since the people all have slow T1 times.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure my chip works, be more agressive at the walls and learn to climb a ladder. I probably cost my self 10-15 seconds easy.
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

7th overall - 3rd AG

Good transition but a long run from the pool but the same run everyone had to do. Helmet on, glass on, race belt on. Pretty simple and probably my best T1 placing. Only problem is because swim times were messed up as mentioned above, my T1 ranking might be off.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 40m 15s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 20.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Left T1 and had to wait a few minutes to find a suitable place to get into my shoes. Well, there was a slight incline so I slowed down quite a bit but finally got into them both. At that point I realized I did not start my Garmin so I would not have an accurate time but no big deal. Just took to picking off some people. The course was really well marked with lots of cones but around mile 4 the cones curved apparnently to direct cars but I thought I was suppose to go that way too. Realized pretty quickly I was not so I made a u turn and got back on course. Cost my self some time but probably only 30seconds to a minute. Went back to picking off people when ever possible. There were a few time where the bike lane they had set up got extremely narrow I thought and had problems passing a few people. My main goal was to just keep my HR down and have a good run which I think I accomplished. Last mile I took it easy to get my HR down so my time did go down some but think my run benefited because of this. Plus I was not physically passed by anyone on the bike course

Know the course better and work on speed intervals and not endurance as much for sprints.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

7th overall - 2nd AG. Helmet off, shoes on grab visor and go.

Nothing. These splits were updated for everyone so I had a great transition I think.
Run
  • 22m 54s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I have been running alot lately but no fast so I did not come in expecting anything great. Immediately off the bike I felt great and was able to pick off a few people. I did get passed pretty quickly by number 199 so he started a good distance behind me (I was 161) so he was flying. I started to slow down so I wouldn't blow up at the end which I could feel coming on so I think I paced well Considering I was only off my 5K pr by :54. Just tried to run a steady race. The last mile was on soft grass which I did not expect so that hurt me some but not too much. Near the end I saw someone approacing but did not realize it was Andy and he caught me right before the finish but I knew he started in front of me so I had him beat.

Nothing really maybe work on speed.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked the .5 miles back to my bike to put on some clothes which was about it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to do more interval training and have not swam much since the baby was born. I would bet if I did not make the few mistake I made I could have placed in my AG and close to top 10 overall.

Event comments:

For a first year race this was a great race. They were able to swithc the pool to 1 lane direction and 50 meters which was a plus. The transition was pretty far from the finish so for specators it definately sucked but no big deal. The mistake I made on the bike was mainly my fault but it was confusing. They had a band at the end in an ampitheatre that was pretty cool but they played so loud that it was tought to talk.

Last updated: 2008-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:54 | 300 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/48
Overall: 13/409
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 300m pool swim. 1 way traffic in 50 meter pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:43
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:40:15 | 13.5 miles | 20.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/48
Overall: 32/409
Avg 165, Max 178
Wind: Some
Course: The bike course was great. One large loop with some hills but nothing crazy and a head wind the first half a nice tailwind coming back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:54 | 03.1 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/48
Overall: 37/409
Performance: Average
Avg 178 - Max 185
Course: One loop course around the Pool Complex.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-20 10:38 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: Blackland Triathlon

2008-10-20 2:05 PM
in reply to: #1753874

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Blackland Triathlon
Nice race.  Even with a couple mistakes, you were flying.  Hope to meet you one of these times.
2008-10-20 2:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, Texas
Ken, good race.  You didn't make mistakes; you were just giving other athletes a chance.  Also your bike speed is blazin' (00:01:43 | 13.5 miles | 471.84 mile/hr ).  I'm pretty sure it's a typo but we can dream Cool.
2008-10-20 2:56 PM
in reply to: #1754660

User image

Champion
Butler
tmueller - 2008-10-20 2:22 PM Ken, good race.  You didn't make mistakes; you were just giving other athletes a chance.  Also your bike speed is blazin' (00:01:43 | 13.5 miles | 471.84 mile/hr ).  I'm pretty sure it's a typo but we can dream Cool.
Thanks for catching that.  That was my T1 time.  Fixed it now.
2008-10-20 3:58 PM

User image

Regular
Plano, Texas

WOO HOO. Great race. You were flying coming out of the pool! You should be proud of your swim progression. Sounds like you had a good game plan and stuck to it, confusing course aside.

And I agree about the band: Great cover band, but way too loud.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Blackland Triathlon Rss Feed