Big Peach Running Company
54F / 12C
Overcast
Total Time = 33m 49s
Overall Rank = 25/696
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/39
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 5:45 am, jumped in the shower, dressed, and out the door. It was about a 20 minute drive or so to the start. Once I got there and parked, my brother called to see where I was. Fun thing was he was parked about 50 meters down. I flashed my car light at him, and then we headed to check in.
Event warmup:

Where we parked to the start was about half a mile. So, we jogged down there, checked in, then jogged back. About the time we got back we saw our buddy Scott who was racing with us. At that point we parked his car, I grabbed my race belt, and took Derek's car back to the start. I basically ran around for a bit more, then off to the start line.
Run
  • 33m 49s
  • 5 miles
  • 06m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I learned from my first Half Mary that that clock starts when the gun goes off. So, if you are in the back there is an extra 30 seconds to a minute added to your time before you cross the start line (e.g. no chips, even with chips this happens). This was not happening to me today. I lined up about two lines deep, right behind the really fast people. BANG the gun goes off, and away we go. They needed to add a little distance to the race so we started off going up hill around the turn-about, then back down to Johnson Ferry. It worked out great, because I ran to go pee one last time before the start and ended up getting back to the line right before the start; however, Derek and Scott were lined up on the right side and I was lined up on the left. Well, the round-about was a turn to the left, so I took off and run in the curb area. You know, that one foot area between the pavement and the actual curb. Well, I was able to come out the gate flying, passing tons of people and keeping up with the lead group for about half a mile. That really kept me out of the traffic. Thus, no bobbing and weaving for me. Woo-Hoo!!

I was talking to a fellow triathlete before the start, and she was going over the course. Basically, I had no idea where I was going, but she did say that the final turn was on Johnson Ferry and from there it was about a mile to the finish. My game plan was to come out swinging, then sit down in cruse control, and when I got back to Johnson Ferry hit the nitrous.

It was a very nice run. I spent time looking at the huge house along the race course, laughing at one car that was getting completely yelled at by a police officer that was trying to cut between the racers (up front we were spread out about every 50 meters, so I guess they thought no harm no foul). Nonetheless, that car got an earful of lip from the police officer. He was NOT happy about it.

Well, I was running and I thought I had to be closing in on the four mile marker, or Johnson Ferry but I had not seen a mile marker. As I passed the next road sign I looked up only to realize I was already on Johnson Ferry. DOH!!! Time to punch it. The one guy in front of me was about 100 feet, and kept looking back. I was able to close on him to around 25 feet but ran out of room.
What would you do differently?:

I think we ended up running 1.5-2 miles before the race. Perhaps that took a bit of fire out of the legs. Or, I just need to HTFU and hammer the entire 5 miles.

Do my homework, and study the course.
Post race
Warm down:

I was about to walk to the post-race activity area, but then turned to go cheer on the finish line. My favorte part of a race.

Derek came in at the 38:02 7:32/mile minute mark, which is great for him. I am so impressed with him going sub 8 minute/miles. That is wonderful! His speed is definitely picking up here recently, so I need to get some training tips from him.

I believe Scott came in at the 41:42 mark. Both had strong races!!!

Event comments:

Of course, I have to make everyone stay around through awards. They were able to raise $13,000 for MDA (Muscular Dystrophy Association). This was my first charity race, and it make me feel so good to be able to help.

They started with the high AG awards, and worked their way down. So, it was a while before they got to the 25-29 AG. Low and behold, I took 2nd place in my AG. WOO-HOO!!!

17th out of 305 males overall, and 25th out of 696 overall.

Thanks to all the volunteers, police, and individuals that put on this race! Great race!

Last updated: 2008-10-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:33:49 | 05 miles | 06m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/39
Overall: 0/696
Performance: Good
Course: As the race director stated, gental rolling hills around East Cobb.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-10-20 11:58 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: Fall Five Miler

2008-10-21 11:51 PM
in reply to: #1754150

Subject: RE: Fall Five Miler

Congrats on your spectacular performance at the Fall Five Miler!  Thanks so much for participating!

This is K2 (Karen) with Big Peach Running Co.  I was the MC at the warm up area, and did the post race awards.  Your race report was awesome!

When we planned this race we hoped to donate $8,000 to $10,000 to MDA.  We never expected such a fantastic response to an inaugural race, but thanks to many generous sponsors and 823 registered participants, we wrote that big fat $13k check!

Thanks also for sticking around for the awards ceremony.  I reversed the usual order because the older runners rarely have anyone around to cheer for them by the time their finishing times are announced.  Just wanted to do something a little different.

We will have our 4th annual 5K road race at our Atlanta store in May.  Hope to see you there.

Also coming up on Nov. 1 is the kick off to the ING Georgia Marathon and Half Marathon clinic series we hold at Big Peach. If any of you tri-folks are planning to run that race, please come join us.  Please sign up for our newsletter at www.bigpeachrunningco.com to learn all the details.

Glad to be part of your forum!

Best,

K2 (Karen Kaye)

Director Community Relations Big Peach Running Co.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fall Five Miler Rss Feed