75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 01m 21s
Overall Rank = 17/165
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/25
Pre-race routine:

(135th out of 530 male and female)
Stayed at my friend Fran's house in her daughter's room for the weekend. I got to sleep on PINK minnie Mouse sheets and pillows!!! WOOHOO! How girly! Got up to coffee, getting stuff together, had some granola cereal, banana and soy milk. Then put everything into the car. Fran and the kids will catch up with me later (so they could sleep in another 45 minutes!)

Got my chip, set up my transition area, checked with the ref as to how the course was going to go, etc.

Event warmup:

Short bike ride, sizing up exiting transition w/ bike and start of ride, then going towards the last 1/4 mile or so and biking back into transition so I'd know where I'm going and when to get out of the shoes. Then just a little jog, some stretching, etc. Shortly before my wave, did a little warmup swim.
Swim
  • 09m 28s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm surprised the time wasn't as fast as I thought it would be. I thought I was doing pretty good. Felt fine, shoulder wasn't giving me any trouble, AND I was able to avoid any elbows.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I made sure to stay far to the left of everyone so my left shoulder wouldn't get hurt, but that also kept me from being near anyone to draft.
Transition 1
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

I may not be back to my old self in the swim, bike, and run, but MAN, I still got it on the transitions! Fastest female T1 in my age group, 2nd fastest of ALL females!! WHOOHOO!!!

Nothing. I was happy.
Bike
  • 31m 57s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.78 mile/hr
Comments:

There were WAYYYY too many U-turns. Besides just regular corners (which there were also a lot of), there were 5 full u-turns in there. It was also WAYYY too crowded. 530 finishers in the triathlon alone, but there was also a duathlon going on at the same time. It was CONSTANT passing, switching positions, SCARY during all the U-turns and other corners. DEFINITELY keeps the reflexes sharp!

Practice corners and U-turns more. That's a weakness of mine even when I'm in shape, but I'll never do well on this course with all the turns without practice.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

As I said, I still got it going on in the transitions!!! 3rd overall female T2, and 1st T2 in my age group! (Honestly, this is the only race director that actually even shows rankings for the transitions!)

Nothing.
Run
  • 19m 10s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm just happy to be able to run 2.5 miles now nonstop. Had a tough time with a side stitch I began feeling a little bit in the first mile, but by the end of the 2nd mile it was REALLY rearing it's ugly head! Couldn't get rid of it so I just suffered until the finish.

The worst part of that was that only about 20 meters or so from the finish, a woman in my age group passed me! I could see she had good energy and I was just WIPED, plus was dealing with the stitch, so I just had to let her go. AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

I think I'm going to have to revamp my nutrition. I got a stitch in the race last week as well, and there are only 2 things that could've caused it, since I've never had that problem. Either my body just isn't used to going so hard anymore (cuz it's been so long since I races) or now that I'm on this new low sodium diet it's messing with my electrolytes a bit. I'm just going to have to wing it and figure it out on my own.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking LOTS, stretching, showered at the park's hose (yes, I still bring my shampoo and soap and a change of clothes!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Out of shape. Not worried about it.

Event comments:

I was just thrilled to be out there, when it gets down to it. I got to see old friends that I haven't seen since we moved over 1 1/2 years ago, I got a real cheering section coming with me that I don't usually get (thanks SOOOO much Fran, Kenny, Megan, Marissa and Renzo!!!), and it felt good just to be moving again, which I wasn't sure would ever happen!

Oh, and Fran, thanks AGAIN for letting me stay at the Hotel FranandKen!

Last updated: 2008-10-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:28 | 437 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/25
Overall: 23/165
Performance: Good
Suit: tri-bra and tri-shorts
Course: Starting at far side of lake, swim across to other end and exit at the pseudo-beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:51
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:31:57 | 10 miles | 18.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/25
Overall: 32/165
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: This was an odd one. Starting in Tradewinds park, going out onto neighborhood roads (lots of U-turns) and back into the park to finish.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:10 | 02.5 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/25
Overall: 30/165
Mile 1: 7:48 Mile 2: 7:45 Mile 2.5)3:37
Course: Out along the road towards the exit to the park, then U-turn back in (story of the day!) and along the path around the lake, then thru the trees and then back onto the road until the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-10-20 3:26 PM

, Alabama
Subject: Race The Troops Triathlon

2008-10-20 4:59 PM
in reply to: #1754821

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Race The Troops Triathlon

um....your math doesn't add up to 20/25 in your age group...TYPO?????

You are a total superhero!!!!   A natural to be going that fast when you have been injured in so many different parts!  I'm sooooo happy to be reading Sharon race reports   You have no idea   Congrats, woman....you da bomb!!!

2008-10-20 8:13 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
AWESOME JOB SHARON...hardware again..you always get hardware...If you are disappointed with 7:40s I'm gonna come up and pummel you!!! Geez o pee you are fast.
2008-10-21 10:52 AM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

Awesome Race Sharon!!!

It was me the woman that surprised/passed you...LOL

Sorry about the side stitch...but...even all the circunstances Excellent Race!!!

2008-10-21 11:37 AM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
snikpos - 2008-10-21 12:14 PM

I guess you must be Leonora!???  Nice to have met you.  Did you know my name before the race?  (I'm so bad with names, I'm sorry if I should've known you!!)

Awesome job with that finishing kick!  I think I saw smoke coming from your shoes when you sprinted past me!!!  You'll have to come up here to Jacksonville next season and race once or twice...NO U-TURNS!!!

Sharon O.

Hey Sharon...

Thanks!!! It was an excellent Race...and...I knew that was my day...LOL...

I knew your name...I have raced with you in many occasions...but...not lately...and before the Race...I knew that you will be in the tops or leading....I was not sure till I saw you in the last yards in the run...LOL

I will take that invitation very seriously...LOL....

Thanks again....Leonora

2008-10-25 10:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Very cool to be reading Sharon race reports again!  Congrats on the placing as well!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Race The Troops Triathlon Rss Feed