General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Dog Encounter Caution Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-21 2:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
Subject: New Dog Encounter Caution
This morning, on Old Metcalf road about 3/4 of a mile north of True Value Hardware store in Louisburg, I encountered 3 dogs from one of the yards on the east side of the road. One of the three was a Rotweiler that actualy chased me for about a 1/4 of a mile. It is fat, so it could not catch me and I do ride fast and even faster when chased. I got away and had to turn around at some point to head back to Olathe. Pepper spray was ready but on the way back no encounter.
Guys and girls beware, pay attention. It surprised me big time as I ride there frequently and this spot was never a problem. I will note down the house number and will call the Sheriff and will report these people.
Be carefull out there. And yes, I am a dog owner and animal lover.

2008-10-22 12:30 PM
in reply to: #1757108

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overland Park, Kansas
Subject: RE: New Dog Encounter Caution

Thanks for the heads up, I ride that route from time to time.

If we get enough bad dog/owner addresses maybe we can get a discount on dog removal services

2008-10-22 12:42 PM
in reply to: #1759322

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
I would actualy sign up for owner removal and I would do it for free. It's never a dog, it is always the owner, at least in my text book.
There were some other trouble spots around and you kind a know and expect, but the danger comes from the uknown, you don't pay attention, the next thing the dog is to close for any kind of recovery..........
This Rotweiler that chased me could have gotten runover by a car behind me, lucky dog , no doubt.
2008-11-28 4:00 PM

User image

New user
I see a lot of riders on 199th ST and wonder if anyone else has had a run in with this dog. There's a farm between Antioch & Switzer (I think the exact street is Benson???) that has a Hell Hound. Brown mut with a thich jaw (looks like he may have some pitbull in him) We've had numerous encounters. The first one was the most terrifying because I was taken by surprise. He came out from under the fence like a bullett, growling, barking, frothing, . . .

I peddled for my life as he ran along side me. I quickly realized that I was topped out and he was topped out. This was going to come down to endurance or a hill. Luckily it was a down hill and I was able to escape.

Next weekend I was ready. My water bottle was out and in position. I heard the bark and he came a speeding brown blur with teeth. Target Acquired. As he snorted along side me at top speed while I actually slowed down. "Steady . . . steady . . . not yet . . . steady . . . NOW!!!!"

I blasted him right in the face and watched him roll while glancing over my shoulder.

"Remember Who Did This To You!!!!!!!!" I yelled as I peddled home, victorious.

Anyone else know the dog of which I speak??? I never saw him again after that.
2008-11-28 4:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
No, never seen that one, but I have my pepper spray ready and I will sure make it memorable for that bustard or any other. If I have to choose between the hospital for myself or hurting the dog, the choice is easy.
2008-12-02 11:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
ugh, I hate reading about chasing dogs, but I'm happy to have the heads up for where to expect them. This latest one sounds nasty! I think I'll avoid that area in the future. The only regular chasers I have ridden past are the white one on the north side of 199th between I-35 & Edgerton I think (didn't see him the last few times, though, maybe finally hit by a car?), and the one that got me on Lackman between 191st & 183rd (but he was always behind the partial fence before). Amazingly enough, those owners have since acquired more dogs - I haven't ridden past since my accident, but Dave's seen at least two new dogs there. Ridiculous.

My new strategy with dogs is to always be on the lookout, and when I see one coming, I just get off the bike and walk past. I think most are not vicious, and just want to chase, and if they are vicious enough to bite me when I'm walking by, then they would have gotten me on the bike for sure (I'm not that fast!) and it would have been even worse. My dad was bitten by a GSD on his bike a couple years ago - it was really nasty. I went for a ride with him in Springfield this fall, and there were 13 loose dogs. The ones that chased Dave (riding a little ahead of us) just looked dumbfounded when we walked by. It might mess up my pace a little in the short term to stop & walk, but to me, the long-term consequences of an accident just aren't worth it. Been there, done that.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Dog Encounter Caution Rss Feed