runners choice
7C / 45F
Sunny
Total Time = 19m 8s
Overall Rank = 6/179
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early to have oatmeal,coffee and shower then drove to my friends house because it was his turn to drive. He wasn't ready yet (as usual), waited...we left his house..got lost on the way there and barley made it in time to register. Did a really quick warm-up and a couple strides and it was start time.
Event warmup:

I wanted to get in a good warmup since it was pretty cold out but time didn't allow so I just jogged about 2k with some strides at the end and a little bit of stretching.
Run
  • 19m 8s
  • 5 kms
  • 03m 50s  min/km
Comments:

This was a last minute decision to do this race since I have a 10k planned this Sunday, but I figured it's one more chance to get a 5k PR before the seasons over so why not. I didn't get a great warmup so I wasn't sure what to expect. I lined up in the second row and when the horn went off I pressed start on my Garmin and it said database full!!! so I just had to go by my current pace and couldn't get lap avg's or km splits. I started off a bit too fast but not as fast as usual, so many people went out blazing fast including all the little kids but I slowed up a bit untill I was just under goal pace. The 2nd km was a little more hilly and notice that I slowed up a bit more then I wanted so I picked it back up to goal pace..pstarted to pass most of the people theat went out way too fast..at the turn around a did a quick surge to make up the few seconds i lost slowing to turn, then got in a good groove, at 3k I was feeling good and staying nice and relaxed so I picked up some more and started picking off the people in front of me (not many becasue right now I was in 8th place according to my buddy who yelled it out to me as he was headin to the turn around). Passed a younger guy and he didn't even try to keep up...1k to go and still feeling pretty strong, came up on an older guy who sounded like he was having an orgasm everytime he exhaled and passed him with relative ease. I was starting to get a little tired now and it was hard to see where the finish was since the road was winding so much, finally I turned a corner and could see the crowd of people so I gave her al I had left and saw the clock in the low 19's as I crossed the finish line! (my previous PR was 19:41, so this was quite a nice suprise to see 19:08!
What would you do differently?:

warm up a bit more and maybe not slow down in the 2nd km, I felt pretty good at the end so i think I could have pushed the pace a little bit more. Sub 19 is definatley doable, unfortunatley I gotta wait untill next spring.
Post race
Warm down:

after I crossed the finish line and talked to an old friend I got stung by a bee in the leg(wtf?). and then went for a slow easy jog to cooldown.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of a good warm-up

Event comments:

Pretty small race, but it was well organized and I'd gladly do it again. I do wish the clock was easier to see as your running towards the finish line, if I could have seen it better from further back I might have been able to get sub 19.

Last updated: 2008-10-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:08 | 05 kms | 03m 50s  min/km
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 6/179
Performance: Good
Garmin database full! arrrggg!
Course: Out n back. The course was pretty flat but a couple rolling hill at the end of the first km/start of the second. It was on a traffic free paved road. The road was really windy so it was hard to see too far down the road in front of you.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-21 7:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Pinery Provincial Park Road Race

2008-10-25 8:27 AM
in reply to: #1757841

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Pinery Provincial Park Road Race
Good race report.  Sounds liked you did well. Good luck on your race this weekend!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinery Provincial Park Road Race Rss Feed