United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 39m 32s
Overall Rank = 87/1587
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 18/155
Pre-race routine:

Got there and made the trek form the domain to the IBM campus, walked around and found the porta potties but there was a line, so I woited with everyone else. Ended up waiting almost 20 min and by that time it was 5 min before race start, so much for a warm up.
Event warmup:

Standing in line for the portas!
Run
  • 39m 32s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

This race was pretty crowde and when I got to the start line it was already pretty packed, listened to Gov Perry and then weseled my way in as close to the fornt as I could. The gun went off and it was slow to get started. The first little bit it was dodging folks left and right and I think because of this I took it out a little to fast. My goal was to break 40 min and try to neg split the 5K's. The first half felt pretty good and I hit the 5K at just over 19:00. At this poiynt I just wanted to keep steady and it was going well, at about 4.5 miles there was a small incline and this is where my legs stared to tighten up. The last 1.2 miles went by in a blur and the legs were feeling it now. Turned the last corner and decided to finish strong but not a dead sprint. Saw the 39:23 and was pleased with the effort.
What would you do differently?:

Well racing right after my 12 hour shift at work definitely took a toll as did the lack of warm up before the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around got some free stuff and made the long walk back to the domain to drive home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Working 12hrs before racing (not much I can do about that) and not warming up better.

Event comments:

Good race however it seemed to me like they could have used more porta potties. Good selection of food post race!

Last updated: 2008-10-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:39:32 | 06.2 miles | 06m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/155
Overall: 87/1587
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty flat route around the domain and the IBM campus
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-10-22 2:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: IBM Uptown Classic 10K

2008-10-25 8:22 AM
in reply to: #1758335

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: IBM Uptown Classic 10K
Wow, sounds like a pretty good result.  Racing after a  12 hour workday, impressive.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » IBM Uptown Classic 10K Rss Feed