General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stupid Stupid Stupid Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-02-27 10:07 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Stupid Stupid Stupid

As much as I hate to admit and type this, there have been others who have bared their souls recently so that others can learn....apparently I didn't. Last night, at 2:30am, yours truly was hauled off in handcuffs. We were celebrating my buddy's 45th birthday at the Blue Gator, and closed the place down. I "thought" was was being a good DD, drinking a beer every hour, and water in between.

This didn't cut it though.I blew a 0.11 and a 0.12 on two different attempts to pass the breathalizer. State law is 0.08 for BAC. After getting pulled over and put in the police car, the cop got into our van and proceeded to scold the 3 passengers since none of them were sober enough to get home. He then pulled our van into some guy's driveway and told them to find their own way home, but none of them are going to drive. While nothing excuses my actions, I can't help but be a little bitter as I sat there watching those in front of me fail the breathalizer with 0.25, 0.28, 0.20.

I am license-less for 30 days...which is going to be extremely interesting given the fact that I travel so regularly and rely on the license to obtain rental cars. I guess I gotta find me an attorney and figure out what to do, but this is new ground for me. Regardless, all you peoples out there - hopefully you can take something away from this and learn something from my own poor choices. The right decision was to call a cab.

Edited by jkbostic 2005-02-27 10:08 AM

2005-02-27 10:12 AM
in reply to: #122970

User image

Veteran
Florida!
Subject: RE: Stupid Stupid Stupid
oof. people underestimate how easy it is to get their BAC over the legal limit. of course, hindsight is 20/20. and it's a hard lesson to learn.

MOST states (don't know anything about IL) have a mechanism by which to get a work-related exception, especially if your occupation requires that you drive. also, if this was your first offense (and it sounds like it was) i'd see if there is a way you can bargain down the suspension by taking a driver's responsibility course or some such. again, i don't know about IL, but i'd be surprised if there wasn't a way around it.

good luck.
2005-02-27 10:22 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
you're obviously already giving yourself a good what-for, so i won't add any on. guess it could have been much worse, so i'm glad you're physically okay, although the stress is probably a doozy. the other folks with a .20+ were driving??? very sad.
2005-02-27 10:32 AM

User image

Jeff,  Life is like that.  Sometimes we have to face challenges we never thought we would be in.  What happened yesterday is over, now face each hurdle as it comes and emerge stronger and wiser.  And thank you for being strong enough to tell us so that we might learn. 
2005-02-27 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Wow, really sorry. As they say, "There but for the grace of God go I ..."
2005-02-27 10:56 AM

User image

Expert
Montreal
Sorry to hear about your situation - it is a drag. Being a non drinker I don't worry about these things much, but there is a product we have here which has some currency in the universities and bars locally http://www.alcotestquebec.com/eng/maybe it will start to become popular in other areas it is a self test for BAC.

2005-02-27 11:01 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Great reminder Jeff....thanks for posting!   And hang in there.
2005-02-27 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Hey Jeff,Tough position to be in. Being the optimist, I hope that something positive comes out of this. At least the good news is that you didn't hurt anyone, and you and the rest of your group can walk away stronger and smarter from the whole experiance.Good luck,Dennis
2005-02-27 11:33 AM

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.

I can't believe how supportive everyone is of someone getting a dwi.  I figured that this group would be appalled by such a thing but much to my suprise.  Anyway, sorry to hear about your situation, it definatly sucks but look on the bright side, the cops found you unscathed before you and your car found your way into someone elses' lives.

I am impressed that this happened at 2:30am and you posted the story at 9:am.  I'd be asleep until mid-afternoon then wouldn't get out of bed until dinner.  Good luck, sorry to be a jerk.

2005-02-27 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Jeff,

You got a mother so I won't try to fill her shoes. But after reading Welshy's post and watching T.V. commericals, and MADD we all do stupid things like drink and get in our cars. Remember a DD is just that. Someone who is designated to drive not DRINK! You'll be paying plenty for your mistake and I can only hope you learn from it.

That said. We still love you man. You're always welcomed here by us less than perfect folks. Just think now you'll have to buy some really warm cycling stuff and you can bike everywhere. Think how smoking you'll be on the bike leg? Good luck.

2005-02-27 12:38 PM
in reply to: #123011

User image

molto veloce mama
DaveG - 2005-02-27 10:33 AM

I can't believe how supportive everyone is of someone getting a dwi.  I figured that this group would be appalled by such a thing but much to my suprise. 

i don't think anyone is supportive of him getting the dwi (at least i hope not). if jeff had started a thread called 'stupid cops' about getting caughti, he'd probably get a very different response. instead he posted a 'stupid stupid stupid' thread and is taking accountability for his mistake. he's probably being a lot harder on himself than any of us could ever be. like ovetta said, we're not his parents. we all make mistakes. and you are absolutely right, i could have been MUCH worse.

2005-02-27 12:45 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas (Kansas City area)
Hi Jeff -
I must admit, I was pretty upset when I read this... but it sounds like you're trying to make amends and I applaud that, it takes a lot to admit something like that on this site. And I'm glad you didn't hurt anyone else. Not to make you feel any worse (cause I'm sure you feel horrible as it is), but it did remind me of the following thread:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
We all learn from our mistakes (I know I've made my share of them). Good luck with the work situation.
2005-02-27 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Well you are quite a guy to even post your story here...most of us would have been too embarassed or self conscious....In Calif. a DUI now equates to $10K bill when all is said and done.....you can buy a few bikes for that....nobody got hurt, you learned a tough lesson, so move on all the richer for the experience. We all need to come to terms with the reality that there is no middle ground on drinking and driving....when you drive, there can only be zero drinking, not a few, or 1 per hour.....the other thing that scares me is that even when you don't get caught by the cops but you do get into an accident and it ISN't your fault, you still end up massively at fault and liable because you exceeded the limit, imagine if there were casualties, they'd be coming after every asset you own....in fact, you got off cheap, think about what could have happened...the risks are TOO high....
2005-02-27 1:16 PM
in reply to: #123036

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
You just have to count yourself lucky that you're not a lawyer. In most states that I know of, DWI/DUI means automatic disbarment. Goodbye career. I went out for burritos a few years back with a friend who's a CA lawyer. We ordered bottled beers to take home and drink there, but they opened them without asking us. Great - now we can't take them with us because that would be an open container violation, and we can't drink them because that's drinking and driving. We stayed there, drank our beers and our lawyer friend's beer and then went home. For a lawyer, DD means completely, absolutely stone cold sober, and that's what it should mean for everyone else.
2005-02-27 2:36 PM
in reply to: #123039

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
Subject: I agree with CLL....
yep. I don't even have one when I know I'm gonna be driving. I've been ribbed at it before but I take it in stride. Who goes out to a bar and asks for Bottled Water? Just don't do that at a Coyote Ugly place. :-) I've had too many close calls while DUI/DWI in my younger days. Even got arrested for a DWI when I was 17. I kept at this, go out, go dancing, have a few, come home. Geez, how did I get here? Nothing I'd do made me stop getting behind the wheel after a wild evening, till after I had the first kid. Then that was it. No more. NO, I'm not a lawyer.
Yes, it still amazes me how many folks drink and drive. I told my dad he couldn't take the kids to the movies if he was gonna drink that beer and he's like, ....what?
Do most people realize that their health insurance won't cover your medical bills if you're in an accident under the influence? Most ER's do screens on all auto accident victims. I don't know if insurance companies follow the legal limits but just go by if it was there or not.
I have a DD for life... my husband is a recovering alcoholic, 19 years sober. He doesnt mind me having a few, it works out to his advantage in the end, ya know.... ;-)

Hope everything works out for ya.
2005-02-27 4:05 PM
in reply to: #123011

User image

DaveG - 2005-02-27 8:33 AM

I can't believe how supportive everyone is of someone getting a dwi.  I figured that this group would be appalled by such a thing but much to my suprise. 

Autumn said it so well, we are not supporting Jeff for getting a DUI.  I appreciate that he shared his story. Every day too many people take a chance because they only had "a couple" .  It does not take much to reach .08,  a fact few people know or appreciate.  For some, only a drink or two will put them over the limit.  Drinking and driving is stupid as Jeff himself admitted.  If you plan on drinking, don't drive.  If you are the DD, no drinking.

FACT:  Some drivers are impaired without reaching .08 .  Keep that in mind also.  You can still be arrested and convicted of driving while impaired, even if you are not .08 so those cute little strips that supposedly tell you your BAC are really a money-making gimmick, not a safe driving predictor. 

2005-02-27 8:27 PM
in reply to: #123070

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tokyo, Japan
zagagirl - 2005-02-28 6:05 AM

FACT:  Some drivers are impaired without reaching .08 .

Very true.  Actually in Australia, the legal BAC is .05.  When I was living in America I was shocked to discover that the legal BAC was .08.

It took a lot of guts to share that "stupid" mistake with us Jeff and I applaud you for that.  Hopefully it will prevent at least one of us from doing the same.

I hope you can work everything out on the job front.  Like someone said, it's behind you now, time to look forward and move on.  

2005-02-27 8:30 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Several people made similar comments that I happen to disagree with. There is absolutely no reason in my mind that the DD can't have a couple of drinks over the course of a long evening. If you've had enough to eat, are reasonably well hydrated, and really do keep it to a limit, you can be perfectly fine to drive yourself and your stumbling buddies home. Have I ever gotten behind the wheel when I maybe shouldn't have? Probably. And I thank God every day that it's never come back to bite me. But I have also had lovely evenings with friends, a drink or two over dinner, and very soberly driven home.

I very strongly believe in not using the word 'never'. I think it's ludicrous to assume that everyone can't be responsible and so if you are going to DD you shouldn't have any alcohol at all. It's really about making smart decisions with what you put in your body and do with it afterwards. Which makes it more important to know your personal limits and how your body reacts. Everybody's different. Blanket rules don't work. Maybe Jeff made the wrong decision last night. We'll never know because we were not standing there when he got pulled over. Maybe he was perfectly fine to be driving. Just because the breathlizer assigned a number to him doesn't mean he wasn't being responsible (was that a double negative?). Anyway, you get my point.

Just my two cents...
2005-02-27 8:41 PM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
As a prosecutor who has tried literally 100's of DUI's first if you're the DD, don't drink. My experience has been that by the time you even start to feel the effects of the alcohol you are over the limit. A .08 is only 4 drinks for the average person. As far as resolving your case, if you have a totally clean record you may want to approach the DA's office and see what they will offer you to resolve the case up front, prior to your first court date. It might save you some money on an attorney. In Florida we allow first time offenders plea to Willful wanton reckless driving rather than a DUI. You would still have to pay a fine and there are usually mandatory license suspensions and mandatory DUI schools, but at least you won't have a DUI on your drivers record. Most prosecutors reward defendant's for a quick resolution of their cases. the flip side is if you hire a defense attorney that specializes in DUI's you may be able to get an even better deal. Big thing live and learn. The next time you're a DD don't drink.
2005-02-27 8:50 PM
in reply to: #123162

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Yes, let's experiment, just like Russian roulette, "maybe" somebody gets the bullet! Blanket rules actually do work, they would have worked in this instance and every other whereby somebody tried to skirt the fine line and find out at great cost that they ended up on the wrong side of that line. Ask Jeff whether he thinks he "maybe made the wrong decision" Trust us, he would like this one back...
2005-02-27 10:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
They sell breathlizers at the local Eckerd's or CVS. I don't think they cost that much and are small enough to fit in your pocket. Then there is never a question.

2005-02-27 11:19 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
It takes a big person to admit they did something wrong. Thank you for sharing your experience. Maybe it will make someone think twice before getting behind the wheel after a few drinks. Hang in there, it'll all work out.
2005-02-27 11:39 PM

User image

Expert
Utah

Jeff, I am turning over the keyboard to my former sheriff's deputy, prosectuor, now defense attorney husband who has some comments and advice. He has been prosecuting or defending DUI cases for 18 years. My husband says:

"I am glad to hear that your DUI arrest was the result of a traffic stop and not an accident. Unfortunately in my business, some of the worst cases I deal with are the result of someone betting that they can make it home without getting caught and accidentally killing or maiming someone. The real problem with drinking and driving is the selfishness of the act. The drinker places his convenience in having an easy way to get home above the safety of everyone else on the road. Everyone who gets arrested for a DUI leaves the bar honestly thinking that they will make it home just fine and that their driving is not that bad. The problem is that by the time the decision to drive home has been made, the alcohol has already clouded judgment. Most of the people who get caught driving under the influence are good people, they just make bad choices.

As this is a public forum, perhaps I can throw out some rules of thumb for consuming alcohol that can assist you or some of the other people on the board in knowing when it is time to quit. First off, understand that most of the rules of thumb that you hear about are based on a 150 pound man. For someone heavier, alcohol will have a slightly lesser effect; for someone lighter it will be greater. The starting proposition is that you will pick up approximately .02 per dose of alcohol. There is about the same amount of alcohol in a beer as in a shot of whisky. It's just that the beer has a lot more filler giving you all those wonderful carbs and calories. Your body will burn off about 3/4 of that dose of alcohol in one hour. The problem is that 3/4 of a dose is all the alcohol you can burn off each hour irregardless of how much you drink. That means that if you drink four beers over the course of an hour, at the end of the hour you will be at approximately .065. If you drink another beer during the first few minutes of the second hour of drinking, you will find yourself at almost exactly .08, which is the legal limit in most states. To get to that point only required 5 beers over the course of one hour and 15 minutes. As far as ways to slow alcohol absorbtion, nurse your drinks. If you stay with only 1 or 2 drinks per hour, and limit any drinking sessions to a couple of hours you should be able to keep your blood alcohol level low. Consuming food before or during a drinking session also helps as it slows the ability of the body to absorb alcohol. Avoid binge drinking as it quickly spikes the blood alcohol level. The safest program is simply not to drink and drive, or not to drink. Virtually all of the designated drivers I have defended over the years will tell you that if you are the designated driver, you should not drink, period.

As far as defending yourself, get a competent attorney who does substantial DUI defense in the geographic area where you were arrested. Cutting deals on these cases is more a case of who you know than anything else. Usually it is a very good bet to get an alcohol evaluation and start some treatment before you ever talk to a judge or prosecutor. If convicted you will have to do it anyway, and it looks good to come into court penitent and humble. If you do that the judge will often just order you to do what you are already doing. Finally, look at this arrest as a positive in your life. If used as a tool for change it may save your life and the lives of others. Good Luck."

Edited by lifesgreat 2005-02-28 12:07 AM

2005-02-27 11:46 PM
in reply to: #123162

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest

jldicarlo - 2005-02-27 5:30 PM Several people made similar comments that I happen to disagree with. There is absolutely no reason in my mind that the DD can't have a couple of drinks over the course of a long evening. If you've had enough to eat, are reasonably well hydrated, and really do keep it to a limit, you can be perfectly fine to drive yourself and your stumbling buddies home. Have I ever gotten behind the wheel when I maybe shouldn't have? Probably. And I thank God every day that it's never come back to bite me. But I have also had lovely evenings with friends, a drink or two over dinner, and very soberly driven home. I very strongly believe in not using the word 'never'. I think it's ludicrous to assume that everyone can't be responsible and so if you are going to DD you shouldn't have any alcohol at all. It's really about making smart decisions with what you put in your body and do with it afterwards. Which makes it more important to know your personal limits and how your body reacts. Everybody's different. Blanket rules don't work. Maybe Jeff made the wrong decision last night. We'll never know because we were not standing there when he got pulled over. Maybe he was perfectly fine to be driving. Just because the breathlizer assigned a number to him doesn't mean he wasn't being responsible (was that a double negative?). Anyway, you get my point. Just my two cents...

Absolutely not, ever, no, period. No drinking if you are the designated driver. None. It is a reckless and foolish and completely thoughtless risk to take. You're not just risking your life, you are risking MY life and the life of every single person on the road, every pedestrian you pass. You do not have that right. I don't care how well hydrated you are, how far apart you space your drinks, or what your genetics are. Alcohol is a poison. That we choose to ingest it is our own folly, but we can do it responsibly. Responsible means who cares if you're embarassed or you "like the taste", if you're driving you are not EVER drinking. Not one single light beer. Never. All of us use our bodies in a variety of ways every day. We know that on one day our run can be amazing, and two days later for no reason our body chemistry puts us through hell on a shorter run. How your body is going to react to alcohol is different every time you take a drink. You cannot determine if you're going to metabolize the alcohol the same way tonight as you did last night. A variety of situations can impact your body's reaction to the drink.

I appreciate that Jeff shared his story. I think that's very courageous. I think an important lesson is learned here and I hope we all read it and say "I don't want to make this mistake." I think he got off cheap. It could have been SO much worse.

In this case, blanket rules should be the ONLY rule. If you are driving DO NOT DRINK.

Edited by teechur 2005-02-27 11:49 PM
2005-02-28 9:42 AM

User image

Buttercup

Jeff, thanks for the tale of caution. Being a single woman, I am usually my own DD and limit myself to 3 beers per evening out. I think I'll pickup one of those drug-store breathalyzers to keep myself on the right side of the law.

Good luck with the resolution of your case. 

Edited by Renee 2005-02-28 9:46 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stupid Stupid Stupid Rss Feed  

of 2