Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-02-28 9:52 AM
in reply to: #122970

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Stupid Stupid Stupid
Jeff, thanks for the post. Hopefully we can all learn something from your mistake. james

2005-02-28 10:32 AM
in reply to: #123162

User image

A police officer has no magic power.  She can not look at a car going down the road and know "Ah, Ah...that driver is .18 or .23 or .09" .  Something about the way the person was driving drew the attention of the officer. 

Now, lets say, a driver is going a bit over the speed limit (Like no one does that), or swerves a bit while switching the radio station or answering the cellphone or glancing at a buddy in the car.  He gets pulled over for a simple traffic infraction. He hasn't been drinking (officer sees no physical signs like slurred speech, red or water eyes, dialated pupils, there is no odor of alcohol on the breath), the driver may or may not get a speeding ticket or other simple infraction ticket.

Same situation of minor driving infractions, only this time the driver had a beer or two.  (On top of a day of training, light eating, a hard day at work staring at a computer screen maybe).  Officer has seen driving infractions (intentional or unaware, unconcerned, impaired?) sees red eyes, smells Alcohol on breath; proceed to field sobriety tests (Driver performance is  fair or poor), driver registers a .05 on BAC.  Driver gets a speeding ticket PLUS an arrest for criminal DUI. 

Was that risk worth it?  Can you go without a driver license for an extended period of time (if you have kids, explain that one to them)?  Does it matter to you or your current or future employers that you have a DUI on your record?  You're out thousands of dollars (that impacts your family if you have one)? 

I hope people will think about it.  It is a big risk. 

2005-02-28 10:51 AM
in reply to: #123252

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

I have to agree... the designated driver needs to be THE DRIVER... the designated DRINKERS are the DRINKERS... it's sometimes not as fun, but it's definitely the responsible thing to do.... ! **IF** it turns out that the driver WANTS to drink, or drinks anyway, (!?) we make arrangements for a cab... that cab has cost as much as $170.00... and it's happened more than a couple of times... and it's inconvenient because we have to figure out how to get back to our car the next day... but it's still cheaper than a DUI, it's not illegal, and no one gets hurt. Imagine the cab ride from Lincoln Park to Crystal Lake. (YIKES) Yes... it can get costly....

***BUT***

My husband and I figure we had alot of "luck" when we were younger... No DUI, no alcohol related accidents, and no one got hurt or arrested... We're pretty sure our "luck" has about run out and it's time to become responsible. Plus, now there are plenty of OTHER things I'd prefer to sepend my money on... !

I'm bummed you're going to have to spend $10K on an attorney to get you out of this mess... you could have had a really nice bike/personal triathlon coach/a lifetime supply of running shoes...Lord knows what other goodies you could have bought with that money...(!) Good Luck, hope you don't lose your job. (because of the travel/license requirements...)

Whizzzzzz.

2005-02-28 11:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plant City, Florida
it takes a real man to admit when he makes a mistake especially in public....  learn from it and move on....
2005-02-28 2:20 PM
in reply to: #123252

User image

Regular
New New York
[

Absolutely not, ever, no, period. No drinking if you are the designated driver. None. It is a reckless and foolish and completely thoughtless risk to take. You're not just risking your life, you are risking MY life and the life of every single person on the road, every pedestrian you pass. You do not have that right. I don't care how well hydrated you are, how far apart you space your drinks, or what your genetics are. Alcohol is a poison. That we choose to ingest it is our own folly, but we can do it responsibly. Responsible means who cares if you're embarassed or you "like the taste", if you're driving you are not EVER drinking. Not one single light beer. Never. All of us use our bodies in a variety of ways every day. We know that on one day our run can be amazing, and two days later for no reason our body chemistry puts us through hell on a shorter run. How your body is going to react to alcohol is different every time you take a drink. You cannot determine if you're going to metabolize the alcohol the same way tonight as you did last night. A variety of situations can impact your body's reaction to the drink.

I appreciate that Jeff shared his story. I think that's very courageous. I think an important lesson is learned here and I hope we all read it and say "I don't want to make this mistake." I think he got off cheap. It could have been SO much worse.

In this case, blanket rules should be the ONLY rule. If you are driving DO NOT DRINK.

You are wrong and are overreacting to the point of sounding almost hysterical. It is absolutely possible to have 1 or 2 drinks and still be ok to drive. The key is to realize the difference between '1 or 2' and '3 or 4' (or 5 etc). Everybody handles alcohol differently. My wife would probably not be ok to drive after 1 beer. I am comfortable having 1-2 (or more if spaced over an appropriate time span). I always err on the side of caution and usually don't drink anything the last hour to be a little safer. Having "1 single light beer" (as you say) and driving is less dangerous than driving sober while putting lipstick on, or yelling at kids in the back seat, or fiddling with the radio to the point of distraction from the road.

2005-02-28 2:35 PM
in reply to: #123438

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

G8RLA94 - 2005-02-28 9:33 AM it takes a real man to admit when he makes a mistake especially in public....  learn from it and move on....

Amen.

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I think Jeff posted this as a cautionary tale (thanks for that!) and not seeking lectures or debates.

2005-02-28 2:58 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

Thanks for sharing, as everyone else has said, it takes a 'real man/woman' to come out of this saying "I screwed up" as opposed to "The cop screwed me". 

To reitterate, if you plan on driving, Don't Drink...period...CHeck out the total cost of a DWI (insurance, fines, traffic school, transportation issues, possible job impact, lawyer fees, ect) and then compare it to the cost of a cab ride or a phone call to a friend.  I learned this lesson thru a friend, but it very easily could have been me.  I think most of us (I am not speaking for everybody, those to whom this applies can relate) have been VERY lucky, especially in younger years, but eventually the odds will catch up.

Best of luck in your legal proceedings

2005-02-28 3:18 PM

This sport, much like this life, is not about falling down. It's about getting up. Count yourself blessed, be grateful, and move on.
2005-02-28 3:37 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Jeff...it is what it is - You can't change the past, I hope for a speedy resolution in the near term. I'm grateful that it was as benign as it could be for you and those around you for a DUI (no injuries, no other huge issue).

I, for one, thank you for your post. Not to judge it, not to label it, not to debate it, but to offer you support in any way you need it, to help me continue to become a better person, and to help you with the mea culpa part of your journey.

For me - about half the information and direction I get from BT is tri-related, and the other half is continual reinforcement (and the occasional course correction w/support) for a healthy life and how to be a better person- diet, social, behavior, you name it. It's people helping people. And this post, among others, continues to reinforce a very important point that affects us all...directly or indirectly. And due to the subject matter it's hard for people to reach out and say they have an issue or are at risk, but I bet this type of experience applies to many more people than would admit publicly...including me. The reminder is great, thanks for bearing your soul and allowing us to keep learning...

And good luck with the license thing. That blows...no pun intended.Rick

Edited by rkreuser 2005-02-28 3:40 PM
2005-02-28 3:39 PM
in reply to: #123532

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Bender - 2005-02-28 2:20 PM[

You are wrong and are overreacting to the point of sounding almost hysterical. It is absolutely possible to have 1 or 2 drinks and still be ok to drive.

I have to say that I agree with teechur on this one.

We're talking about operating a machine that weighs a couple of tons and goes upwards of 60 miles per hour or more. Why should we allow anyone to drive under the influence of any drug that would impare judgement and coordination.

I think we should also road test drivers every five years or so here in the US. There are a lot of drivers who should not be on the road.

Driving is a privilege and not a right.

I wish I had my friend Sandy back. She was killed by a drunk driver.
I also wish I had my friends Victor and Gary back. They killed themselves by driving under the influence. Thankfully, no one else died with them.

P.S. Jeff, I understand that you were trying to responsibly follow the law and misjudged. I hope it goes well for you, especially in how it may affect your work.

Edited by dontracy 2005-02-28 3:48 PM
2005-02-28 4:41 PM
in reply to: #123535

User image

kimj81 - 2005-02-28 11:35 AM

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I think Jeff posted this as a cautionary tale (thanks for that!) and not seeking lectures or debates.

Sorry if I came across as giving a lecture. 

2005-02-28 5:20 PM
in reply to: #123580

User image

Regular
New New York

We're talking about operating a machine that weighs a couple of tons and goes upwards of 60 miles per hour or more. Why should we allow anyone to drive under the influence of any drug that would impare judgement and coordination.

I agree. What I said was that it is possible to have a drink or two and not be impaired.

I think we should also road test drivers every five years or so here in the US. There are a lot of drivers who should not be on the road.

I agree with that too.

I wish I had my friend Sandy back. She was killed by a drunk driver.
I also wish I had my friends Victor and Gary back. They killed themselves by driving under the influence. Thankfully, no one else died with them.

I'm sorry to hear about your friends and believe me, I abhor drunk drivers as much as anyone (I also have no pity for the OP's situation). I doubt any of your friends were the victim of "one light beer".

2005-02-28 5:25 PM

Master
Colorado

Wow.  To think on Saturday evening I actually drove my wife to dinner, had a glass or two of wine, and drove home- all in the same night!  A few of you need to lighten up- seriously.

Jeff- it takes guts to own up to something like this and accept it for what it is. If nothing else you've shown good character by doing so.

2005-02-28 8:43 PM

Elite Veteran
jkbostic, thanks for sharing a painful mistake you made this weekend. Takes guts.

I'm interested in knowing what happened today, and how it all plays out for you. I think you've been a great poster here and I hope you continue to share your journey with us. I hope it all ends up okay for you.

Edited by lynda 2005-02-28 8:45 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stupid Stupid Stupid Rss Feed  

of 2