General Discussion Classifieds - New and Used Triathlon Gear » WTB tri bike (plus ? on fit) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED
2008-10-22 1:50 PM

User image

Dallas
Subject: WTB tri bike (plus ? on fit)

I got into the sport about a year ago and purchased a specialized allez elite 58 cm.  I used a LBS and didn't really know what I was doing as far as fit, but the guy put me on a 58 and said it was right for me......so I agreed.  Anyway, I'm 6'3" 170 #'s with a long torso and have never really felt right on this bike.  I put some aero bars on it and used it through this season, but I am starting to think that I need a larger frame for my body size.  I have been doing a lot of research online and went to a few LBS around Dallas trying to get a feel for prices and what type of bike I want.  I have been told that I would need a 61 cm on a road bike, but would need to size down to about a 58 cm on a tri bike.  The problem is that I can only afford a used tri bike and the LBS aren't very receptive to me getting locked down on the proper frame size b/c I guess they can tell that I am really not interested in buying new from them.  I feel lost as to whether to go with a 58 or 61.

So, if anyone is looking to sell a tri bike frame 58 or 61, I would love get some info from them.  Also, if someone can share some knowledge about the best way to figure out what frame size to go with based on my body style.  Any help will be appreciated. 

2008-10-22 4:53 PM
in reply to: #1759557

User image

Master
Subject: RE: WTB tri bike (plus ? on fit)
I have a 2008 Felt B12 60cm for sale. I am 6'3" and it fits me perfect.
2008-10-22 5:05 PM
in reply to: #1760154

User image

Dallas
i just pm'd you about sending some pics.
2008-10-24 10:11 AM

I have a 57 Javelin Narni which has a long top tube (should fit you) which has dura ace and should fit you pretty well as I run a short stem due to my short torso :-).

As I just ordered a new bike I am looking to move it at a very attractive price.

-David
2008-10-26 6:38 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I would suggest going to your LBS and being completely up front with them - tell them you would like to PAY them for a fitting, so you can buy a used tri bike elsewhere. If your LBS doesn't have a lot of experience fitting people to tri bikes, look around for one that does. Have them take all your measurements and recommend a frame measurements that would work best for you. My understanding is that the top tube measurement is the most important to fit for a tri bike. You could also try using one of the on-line fit calculators (like this one). Just make sure you have someone help you make the measurements so you get accurate numbers. Good luck!
2008-10-26 10:47 PM
in reply to: #1766286

User image

Dallas

jsnowash - 2008-10-26 6:38 AM I would suggest going to your LBS and being completely up front with them - tell them you would like to PAY them for a fitting, so you can buy a used tri bike elsewhere. If your LBS doesn't have a lot of experience fitting people to tri bikes, look around for one that does. Have them take all your measurements and recommend a frame measurements that would work best for you. My understanding is that the top tube measurement is the most important to fit for a tri bike. You could also try using one of the on-line fit calculators (like this one). Just make sure you have someone help you make the measurements so you get accurate numbers. Good luck!

i am going to head up to the LBS tomorrow and be straight with them.  there's quite a few in the area which do tri bike fits.  thanks for the info.

2008-11-14 6:21 PM
in reply to: #1767097

New user

Ive got a 60cm 2006 B2, built spring of 07 I'd sell. email me if your interested
Sell Gear
CLOSED
General Discussion Classifieds - New and Used Triathlon Gear » WTB tri bike (plus ? on fit) Rss Feed