General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How many bottles to carry on bike during IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-10-24 10:23 AM
in reply to: #1762032

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: RE: How many bottles to carry on bike during IM
Atak Kat - 2008-10-23 1:23 PM

aerodrink (water) + 1 bottle (perpetuem).

and another bottle (perpetuem powder) in the special needs bag. I'll add cold/fresh water to that bottle when I get it so it's not sitting around and getting warm.

-ak-

That was my set-up as well except I carried two 2-1/2 hour bottles of perpetuem since I didn't have any special needs bags at the race I did.  Filled up the aerobottle with water from the course and chucked the empty perpet bottle after I finished it & that system worked great.

2008-10-24 10:51 AM
in reply to: #1763437

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
tritank - 2008-10-24 7:38 AM
Atak Kat - 2008-10-23 3:23 PM

and another bottle (perpetuem powder) in the special needs bag. I'll add cold/fresh water to that bottle when I get it so it's not sitting around and getting warm.

-ak-

X2 I can't stomach gatorade and this way all I need from the course is water. I also have a flask with Hammer gel on my top tube. It would be nice to use what is on the course but if that doesn't work for you...it doesn't work for you.

So what happens when you lose your bottle over a bump, or forget to put something in your special needs bag, or don't stop for it?  You end up having to go course supported by default.

If you can't stomach Gatorade (or whatever a course offers), then I would usually suggest training with it more to build up a tolerance for it.

Of course nutrition can make or break a race, and I certainly wouldn't say that one should not pay attention to it.  What I would say is that people spend far too much time agonizing over exactly what they should eat and when instead of just going with the flow.

Besides, how many people actually get to the marathon and run the whole thing??  How many people either end up eating absolutely nothing on the run or turn it into a smorgasboard??  It is a rare occurence to meet someone who didn't throw their nutrition strategy out the door come the 10 or 15 mile mark of the marathon.

In all the pre-IM talks I went to they always stress how important it is to be flexible on race day.  The key thing they drill into you is "If something isn't working out on race day, change your strategy to find something that will."  That is why I have slowly worked away from the "must eat/drink/breath at this interval" and just go with what works on that day now.

2008-10-24 10:52 AM
in reply to: #1761443

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
I will have three. One aero bottle and two bottles of infinit and then two more in special needs bags.
2008-10-24 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1763967

User image

Extreme Veteran
Daremo - 2008-10-24 11:51 AM

-ak-

X2 I can't stomach gatorade and this way all I need from the course is water. I also have a flask with Hammer gel on my top tube. It would be nice to use what is on the course but if that doesn't work for you...it doesn't work for you.

So what happens when you lose your bottle over a bump, or forget to put something in your special needs bag, or don't stop for it?  You end up having to go course supported by default.

If you can't stomach Gatorade (or whatever a course offers), then I would usually suggest training with it more to build up a tolerance for it.

Of course nutrition can make or break a race, and I certainly wouldn't say that one should not pay attention to it.  What I would say is that people spend far too much time agonizing over exactly what they should eat and when instead of just going with the flow.

Besides, how many people actually get to the marathon and run the whole thing??  How many people either end up eating absolutely nothing on the run or turn it into a smorgasboard??  It is a rare occurence to meet someone who didn't throw their nutrition strategy out the door come the 10 or 15 mile mark of the marathon.

In all the pre-IM talks I went to they always stress how important it is to be flexible on race day.  The key thing they drill into you is "If something isn't working out on race day, change your strategy to find something that will."  That is why I have slowly worked away from the "must eat/drink/breath at this interval" and just go with what works on that day now.

I agree you have to adjust and go with what works that day, and I agree that keeping it simple is best. I think having one bottle in cage and one in special needs bag is pretty simple and pretty secure. Of course things can happen...that's when you adjust. Needing only water from the course, I think, is a pretty safe plan.

Anything over an Oly and Gatorade just doesn't work for me.

2008-10-24 11:31 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Daremo - 2008-10-24 11:51 AM

I'm going to agree and disagree with you on this one Rick.  I agree that you shouldn't rely on a specific interval for your  nutrition.  ie, must have one bottle of X every 60 min exactly.  But you should know, through training, that you will go through a bottle of X about every hour.  That is how you build your nutrition strategy. 

In my case, my primary plan was to carry 3 bottles on Infinit and pick up my special needs with 3 more bottles.  Did I have a back up plan?  YEP!  I had a gel flask onboard in case I didn't get my special needs.  Luckily I didn't have to use it (although I got lucky Nan was able to get me my bottles at special needs). 

I used infinit for the entire race.  In total, I grabbed half a banana (came back up 20 miles later intact) and maybe 2 pretzels and like 6 grapes.  The rest I had with me. 

BUT...as I have been told many times and agree with you...it's never too late to recover and take in nutrition.  If crap hits the fan, adapt.

2008-10-24 2:07 PM

User image

My first IM and my first race of any kind with an aerobottle. For those who use aerobottles, do you pull over to fill up the aerobottle at the aid stations or do you jam the aid station water bottle into the aerobottle and fill up while riding/rolling?

2008-10-24 4:19 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-10-24 10:25 PM
in reply to: #1764540

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

BigPimp - 2008-10-24 2:07 PM My first IM and my first race of any kind with an aerobottle. For those who use aerobottles, do you pull over to fill up the aerobottle at the aid stations or do you jam the aid station water bottle into the aerobottle and fill up while riding/rolling?

Yep.  Just fill it while riding/rolling.  You can fill that thing up at 20mph w/o issue.  Get a bath poofy thing and replace the yellow thing.  Although, I think the new ones come with a black top.  Big fan of the bath poofy.

2008-10-25 8:35 AM

Bob
Binghamton, NY

I have a NeverReach that I start off with 32 oz of water, 1 24 ozbottle in the cage with Gatorade Endurance and another 24 oz bottle with 16 gels diluted with water. I take a hit off the Gel bottle every 20 min, constantly sip on the NeverReach, try to go through 1 bottle of Gatorade every 90 minutes and use Cliff Bars as solid food broken up into 50 cal bites.

2008-10-25 1:55 PM

Master
Royersford, PA
I usually have two bottles of GU2O and change out for two new bottles at special needs. At every IM I've been to there are enough water stations to grab an extra bottle of water or gatorade to make up the gap, if I run out. At Florida special needs is at a good spot to pull off change out your bottles and take a quick break and get going again. Grabing a bottle on the fly can be a challenge, so try and get it early in the station so you can get a second try if you miss. Most stations will have a drop zone on the way in and out to drop your empties.
2008-10-25 7:27 PM

Fully self supported.   Two 3 hour infinit bottles on the two frame cages, one water bottle in rear cage.   That gets me through 6 - 7  hours without any other nutrition or need to stop (I don't start Infinit until 30 minutes in).  I do add a payday, a gel flask and the occasional gatorade pickup just for different flavors or emergency calories.  I will have one extra 2 hour bottle in SN just in case the fit hits the shan on the ride, but I expect not to have to stop for it.

Seems pretty darn simple for me, and I don't have to rely on anyone else for nutrition (save water handoffs)

Bike will get lighter as race progresses, and I don't have to worry about filling an aero bottle on the fly, or making sure the concentrate gets in there, or..... I have a hard enough time concentrating at mile 80 of the bike without adding that.  Only bottle I might  lose is water which is replaced within 10 miles (maybe a long 10 miles....), but that is fixed after the first 1/2 by ditching empty infinit bottle and putting water in the frame cage.

I'm a clyde and not looking to qualify, so any extra weight (within reason) isn't much of an issue for me, but I'd like to see the delta between 3 full bottles vs. 1 bottle + one full aero bottle.  Can't imagine the 3 weighs much more.....  Plus mine is reducing throughout the race, the aero + 1 bottle is constant throughout.

Whatever you do, find what works for you by experimenting and training that way

Edited by ChrisM 2008-10-25 7:35 PM

2008-10-27 11:54 AM

The Natti
Daremo - 2008-10-24 10:51 AM

-ak-

Man, I don't know. I would think that with a little planning you could eliminate most of the possible problems like the random bottle launch or mess up in the Special Needs stations.

Just going with the flow is easy, and it might work sometimes, but it is a huge risk for an A race IMO.

Simple and going with the flow is good, no question. But keeping it simple, planning and execution is better.

2008-10-27 12:09 PM

Veteran
one nutrition, one rinse and keep cool, and one h2o to drink. 3 for me.
2008-10-27 12:11 PM
in reply to: #1764540

Veteran
BigPimp - 2008-10-24 3:07 PM

My first IM and my first race of any kind with an aerobottle. For those who use aerobottles, do you pull over to fill up the aerobottle at the aid stations or do you jam the aid station water bottle into the aerobottle and fill up while riding/rolling?

you NOT HAVE that CHIPS guy as your avie!!!! omg! hahahahaha
2008-10-27 5:26 PM

New user

Aerodrink (water)..will refuel with what they have on course..

1 cage bottle multi-hour perpetuem......but placing one frozen one in special needs (yeah..I know it will melt and warm..but makes me feel good!..i tend nto not drink cold anyways)

I'm slow...so the least weight possible the better....the rest is on my and hips..lol
2008-10-29 9:14 PM

Pasadena, CA

Hi -- I did something slightly unusual at CdA this year.

I worried I'd be very cold getting out of the sub-60 water, so I had a thermos with heated chicken broth and an empty bike bottle in my swim-to-bike bag. As I changed into bike clothing, I asked my volunteer in the changing tent to pour the broth from the Thermos into the bike bottle.

I carried the bottle of hot broth out to my bike, where I also had a throw-away bottle of plain water. I sipped on the broth for the first 10-12 miles, it calmed my stomach and warmed me up. I also had some plain water.

For the rest of the ride, I had plain water in one cage and Gatorade Endurance in the other. I felt like I had plenty of liquid, drinking a bit every ten minutes.

Edited by SeeSharonTri 2008-10-29 9:15 PM

2008-11-03 8:07 AM

Regular
"If you plan on using what they have on course...I wouldn't take any. Keep the cages but start out with nothing."

Thats just plain stupid. The second you get on your bike and get settled, its time to start drinking. The first aid station will be around 10mi, so depending on how fast you ride it could be 30-40 minutes before you are able to get the first round of drinks.

On course at IMKY, I ran out of water twice I believe, and was forced to drink gatorade only. Bleht. Ive still yet to drink gatorade.

If anything take a disposible bottle. ie: cheap water bottle. and leave that on your frame till you hit the first aid station. Now this is only my opinion. Good luck
2008-11-03 11:01 AM
in reply to: #1762032

Nor*Cal
Atak Kat - 2008-10-23 12:23 PM

-ak-

Just a follow-up after IMFL on Saturday, this setup went flawless for me.

It was a nice surprise to find that the water bottles they handed out on the course were cold.

-ak-

2008-11-04 2:46 PM
in reply to: #1761456

Extreme Veteran
I used my PodeumQuest (has two compartments) filled with water and gatorade. Kept the cage empty. At IMFL, I would grab a water, slap it in the cage then grab a gatorade. Fill up the PQ with both bottles and toss 'em. No need to carry extra fluid unless you aren't going to live off the course.
2008-11-04 3:17 PM
in reply to: #1767816

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

infinIT 1 - 2008-10-27 12:54 PM  Man, I don't know. I would think that with a little planning you could eliminate most of the possible problems like the random bottle launch or mess up in the Special Needs stations. Just going with the flow is easy, and it might work sometimes, but it is a huge risk for an A race IMO. Simple and going with the flow is good, no question. But keeping it simple, planning and execution is better.

True true.  Totally agree with that.

But you look at what some people have on the bike and carry out of the changing tent and you just have to shake your head quite often.

Don't worry Mike, its not my intention to dissuade anyone from using your stuff.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How many bottles to carry on bike during IM Rss Feed  

of 2