General Discussion Race Reports! » Dayton River Corridor Classic Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dayton River Corridor Classic Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dayton, Ohio
United States
Keysports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m 51s
Overall Rank = 170/472
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/24
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 6AM and had oatmeal for breakfast. Got dressed and made the 35 minute drive to Welcome Stadium in Dayton. Ate a banana on the way and drank a Diet Coke and some water. Upon arrival at 8am, found Pat on his way out for a 5 mile run prior to the race! He needed an 18 miler this weekend for upcoming marathon. Parked by his car and went in and picked up my number and race packet. Lubed up the nips and toes and got dressed for the race.
Event warmup:

Met up with all the other guys... Wally, Kevin, Todd Sullivan and family and Joe Pickrel. Pat came in about 10 minutes before 9am race start. Did some good stretching and jogged just a bit to get warmed up. Nothing big though.
Run
  • 1h 53m 51s
  • 13.35 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I positioned myself with the other guys in about the middle of the start pack. Was feeling real good right away and started off at a good pace. My intention was to do the first few miles at a bit of a slower pace but the ol' race day adrenaline got the best of me. My race goal was to at least finish under 2 hours which I thought I could do. Next I wanted to break a 9 min/mile. Last I wanted a half mary PR which was previously about 1:56:30. I crushed each goal!!! I have been having some good runs lately and working a lot on my speed. More than anything though, I've just tried to remain "mentally" strong and not quit on myself.

So the first 4 or so miles I remained with all my buds. We were together for the "wrong turn" in Carillon Park but after that I started to pull away. At about mile 4 I found a guy that was running at a pace I could just barely stay at. I stayed just behind him for the next seven miles. I don't think he ever even knew I was behind him. The course itself goes mostly along a paved bike path next to the Great Miami River. It's almost completely flat except one or two small uphills. It is a relatively boring course I guess but not too bad. There were a couple bands that never seemed to be playing when I ran by them and also a belly dancer.

I was keeping track of my splits so I knew I was heading for a PR but the only question was whether I'd gone out too fast and would die towards the end. Around mile 9 is where I started to feel it and had to really concentrate to keep my pace. At mile 10 I took my second gel and I also caught up with my old friend Todd who had gone ahead early on in the race. My first gel was at mile 5. Todd and I stayed together for a half mile or so until I forged on ahead. At the aid station just before mile 12 I walked just briefly. I wanted to finish the race without walking, but in hindsight it was a good idea. I only walked for 10-20 seconds and it really refreshed me for the last mile. Todd had caught back up to me and told me he had nothing left but I should really go for it. So I dug deep and put the hammer down and finished with everything I had left. The final quarter mile is a lap around the track at Welcome Stadium. I saw a couple people up ahead that I wanted to pass so I gave it everything I had. I felt like I was about to throw up my lungs but I made the pass and finished gloriously! 1:53:51 is a great time for me and as it turns out, the wrong turn added and addition .25 miles.

Just some notes for my own memory, I developed a side stitch sometime around mile 8-9 which I had a lot of trouble getting rid of. I drank water at every aid station and gatorade at most which may have led to the side stitch. I never peed the whole race and for along time after. I should've drank more water and less gatorade. I should've known better than to drink gatorade and I should just stick to water in future races. I took gels at miles 5 and 10 and one just before the race start. That was probably enough but maybe I should've taken them at miles 4 and 9. The weather was pretty much perfect, probably in the upper 50's at start time and up to about 70 by the end. I suppose it got a bit hot towards the end but nothing major. For the first time that I can really remember in a race, I was passed by very few people. I passed a good amount myself, not a ton, but a good amount. I think it always helps the psyche to pass people.
What would you do differently?:

I pretty much ran a great race and wouldn't change much. I may have preferred to go out a bit slower and hopefully have had more legs at the end, but who knows. Maybe I would've just been that much slower.
Post race
Warm down:

The best part of this race was the warm down. I did some light stretching and lots of walking around waiting for all the guys to come in. Then I waited to see if I won the free trip to the Disney Marathon which of course I did not. After the race Pat, Kevin, Wally and I found a shady spot and knocked out a few beers and BS'd about the good ol' days. Ahhhh the good ol' days! It sucks growing up!

Event comments:

This is a really good race, my second time doing it. For the price of $40 you get a half marathon with well stocked aid stations, a technical tshirt, a little overnight bag thingy, and a finisher's medal. The course is a simple out and back which I really don't have a problem with. I would recommend it for anyone, especially a first timer or someone like me looking for a good race on a tight budget.

Last updated: 2008-09-30 12:00 AM
Running
01:53:51 | 13.35 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/24
Overall: 170/472
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 8:56, Mile 2 - 8:41, Mile 3 - 8:39, Mile 4 - 9:56 (extra .25 mile), Mile 5 - 8:20, Mile 6 - 8:29, Mile 7 - 8:24, Mile 8 - 8:34, Mile 9 - 8:35, Mile 10 - 8:40, Mile 11 - 8:47, Mile 12 - 8:58, Mile 13.1 - 8:45
Course: Course leaves Welcome Stadium and goes down to and over the Washington St bridge. Turns back down the other side of the river and follows the bikeway down to about the 6 or 7 mile mark when it turns around and comes back. Around mile 3 or 4 there was a section that goes through Carrillon Park. During that part of the course someone made a wrong turn and everyone followed. Supposedly some cones were moved by a park employee accidentally. The first and second place finishers followed the correct route, everyone after went wrong. I was told it added an additional .25 or .30 miles to the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-23 6:40 PM

User image

Liberty Township, Ohio
Subject: Dayton River Corridor Classic Half Marathon

2008-10-25 8:17 AM
in reply to: #1762690

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Dayton River Corridor Classic Half Marathon
Nice race report.  Sounds like you hit your pace right on.  Conratulations on your PB, even with that extra detour, man that must have felt good.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dayton River Corridor Classic Half Marathon Rss Feed