Disney Wide World of Sports
71F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 49m 6s
Overall Rank = 2158/2725
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 160/222
Pre-race routine:

Hung out at the Great Floridan and cheered on the runners.
Event warmup:

Bad traffic to the park, crazy parking situation. Next year, I'll give myself TWO hours to get there from 3 miles away. Finally, got parked, got my contacts in, put on my socks and shoes and hustled.....I should have been there an hour before the start, but I got there with only 5 min to spare!

I missed the 'room key' thing at ASI and the temporary tattoos and such. Darn.
Run
  • 1h 49m 6s
  • 8.08 miles
  • 13m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

Prior to the race, they had a 'bellhop' at the front stage with smoke and music videos. Predictably, they cut in 'Twilight Zone' blurbs too. It was interesting. The fireworks were very much on the lame side.

I started between the 11-13 and the 13-15 pace group...right where I was supposed to be, but got constantly passed for about the first 4 miles. Overall, I ran a very consistent race, just about every split was between 13:30 and 13:40...a little faster at the end :)

Saw some cool costumes. My favorite was a guy with a skeleton shirt & pants and his face painted white. A simple costume, but he'd done it well, with good-fitting clothes and nicely done make-up. I ran for a while with a guy who had an 'Octopus Head'. Hilarious. During the first mile, I worked to catch up to a guy who was dressed as an 80s hair band rocker and suggested he could complete his costume with a tourniquet and a syringe hanging out of his arm! That still cracks me up. There were lots of 'butterflies' out there..with a token Minnie or two.

They had some interesting 'effects' on the course....Studio 54, some girls with dead-baby dolls, and when we ran around the ball field there were 'ghost crowds' cheering!

Between miles 4-6, I was hanging with about the same crowd, passing a few, getting passed by some, but seeing the same people over and over.

We headed back to the park at mile 6 and I started to wonder if I had missed a mile zoning out. Unfortunately, I had not.

About here, I started passing people like crazy. I passed lots of skinny people!! LOTS of skinny people. I suspect that all these people just started off too fast. I felt so proud to be running a slightly faster pace than I started with, instead of walking like so many of the folks around me! Yay me!! Except for the aid stations, I didn't walk at all in this race :)

For the next two miles, we ran around in what seemed like circles, but there were after-party crowds, so that was nice!

Ended up with a NEGATIVE SPLIT!! YAY!
What would you do differently?:

The french fries for dinner were probably not such a good idea.
Post race
Warm down:

In true stingy-disney form, we got served warm water and powerade at the end. And instead of having a feeding trough, we were each handed a bag with 1 banana, 1 muffin, 1 orange slice, 1 butterscotch candy. If you wanted anything else, you had to pay park prices for stuff. Yes, truly magical.

Didn't really hang out afterwards....since I don't like rides, boredom really helped rush in the fatigue.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not running a lot recently due to hip-flexor issue.

Event comments:

Typical Disney race. Not the race to set a PR at, but definitely a good time and something different!

Last updated: 2008-09-13 12:00 AM
Running
01:49:06 | 08.08 miles | 13m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 160/222
Overall: 2158/2725
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3