United States
Marine Corps
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 20m 34s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I arrived in DC on Thursday which was good because I was able to adjust to the temperature difference by doing a Friday morning run in 30-something weather. I stayed with a buddy in Dumfries so I have no comments on the hotels. On race morning, we woke at 4 am, showered, dressed, grabbed the bagel/peanut butter/honey that we'd made the night before and got in the car to go to the Metro. The metro was completely empty at 5:09 and we arrived at the Runner's Village before they were even set-up. There's a long walk from the Metro to the Runner's Village which kinda takes you a little by surprise.

Event warmup:

Tossed our stuff in the trucks and started walking to the start-line around 7:30. Gun sounded for the wheelchair/handcycle participants at 7:50 and for the rest of us at 8:00. Took us 11 minutes to get to the starting kite. We didn't warm-up too much, but we stretched a little-bit, drank water up till the start. Temp at start was about 45 degrees.
Run
  • 5h 20m 34s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I was shooting for 5 hrs for my first marathon and through 13, I was running just over 4:30 pace. But I knew that I'd gone out way too fast. So I started taking it a little slower for the next 3 miles. Started cramping around 17 in my back and really felt dehydrated so I stopped to stretch my back by the Washington Monument and my sister came running out of the crowd. She was taking pics to send to my dad on her Iphone so I got some water from her (an entire Nalgene bottle). Which ended-up cramping my stomach pretty good. But I was hydrated. We talked so long, I got passed by the 5hr pace group. So I figured I'd stick with them until I saw three guys from Team Semper Fi (My charity group) and as I watched, one of the two below-the-knee amputees was drifting back from the other two so I ran with him the rest of the way and let the other two take a little faster pace. We all linked-up at the 20 mile mark and ran together to the end which was awesome. They kept a 12-min pace almost exclusively, stopping to stretch, never walking. As we ran through crowds, they would stop cheering and just watch as these two guys ran past with their Cheetah prosteses. They really had a hard-time running up hills but they kept moving-right-along. The guy I ran with most, Eric "Goo" was a Truck driver who jumped-down from his truck in Afghanistan and walked-back to check on the stuff loaded on his truck when he stepped on an italian-made toe-popper mine. The sound those make is not an explosion, it's more of a thud so he lay there until the convoy started to roll when his a-driver noticed he wasn't back and jumped down to check on him. He lost his lower-leg, but is by far not broken by it. The other guy was Lazko. He was wounded in an IED attack before the vehicles were hardened like they are now. He was the only survivor in his vehicle. The guy running with them was a Gunny who lost 70% of his hearing when a grenade went off in the room he ran into. He covered his face with his forearms so he had schrapnel but the hearing loss forced him out of the corps. As we ran to the finish, the crowd was going nuts! It was awesome. We crossed the line and Eric gave me a big bear hug. I think I may have finished in better time if I ran ahead of them, but there was no way I was leaving them at that point. I set a PR (It's my first Marathon), I beat Katie Holmes 5:30 and I finished. I won't forget those two guys and plan on linking up with them in Miami for the Miami International Triathlon.
What would you do differently?:

Start a little slower. But I am still so glad I got to run with Eric, Laz and Gonzalez
Post race
Warm down:

LOOONG walk to a taxicab because the Metro line was like 3000 people deep.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Going out too fast probably.

Event comments:

Best marathon I've run (only one I've run). The water stations were fine, but it seemed like they had food stations after the water stations every time so you got your food (Gels and Sportbeans) and then had to wait a mile or more for water. Crowds were large and supportive.

Last updated: 2008-07-11 12:00 AM
Running
05:20:34 | 26.2 miles | 12m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: According to Mr. Garmin, it was a little longer than 26.2. I had it at 26.5 which could be attributed to me going to the right-side of the overpass in Rosslyn which appeared to add some distance. They revamped the course to put Hain's Point at mile 13 instead of 18 which by all accounts was a welcome change.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-10-27 7:52 AM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Subject: Marine Corps Marathon

2008-10-27 7:57 AM
in reply to: #1767287

User image

Veteran
Grass Valley
Subject: RE: Marine Corps Marathon
Great job!  It was an awesome race....
2008-10-27 7:58 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Great job out there!  See you at the Miami MAN

Edited by dalessit 2008-10-27 7:59 AM
2008-10-27 12:27 PM

User image

Master
Olney, MD
Great job Matt!   That's awesome you were able to run with those guys!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marine Corps Marathon Rss Feed