General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Days off and stress Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-28 8:32 AM

Subject: Days off and stress
I'm in week three of my first Tri-training. Runs are off to a slow start, as expected. Otherwise, I feel great after every day I work. However, during my off days I have to say I feel like a slob - like it is definitely one step back, both physically and mentally. Anyone else experience this?

Unrelated question. Does anyone notice that their heartrate is at a higher level when they are stressed about something? Spending several hours a week training, my thoughts tend to wander towards stressful things like career, finances, perhaps even an argument at home. I noticed my heartrate at higher than normal levels. How much is natural and how much is troublesome?

2005-02-28 10:17 AM
in reply to: #123325

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Days off and stress
All depends on your personality. If you're the type who likes to completely committ to something (like me) then yes, those days off will eat at you...especially if you're not really doing anything else anyway. I can handle a day off if I'm traveling and there just isn't any way I can fit a decent workout in but if I'm just at home watching TV it's hard not to feel like I'm slacking...even if I NEED the day off. I've only started logging my workouts consistently a few weeks ago but if you check my blog you'll see that I've only taken 1 day completely off recently. I actually consider yesterday my "rest" day...an hour with the swim copach and a 50min light jog to loosen up from Saturday. At this point in the season it's okay since I'm not training intensely but later on I'll need to force myself to take a day of complete rest every 7-10 days.

As for your HR...completely normal for things like stress to elevate it. Even having a tough workout the day before will cause it to be higher. Some more advanced HRMs can monitoring your recovery and overall level of fatigue by comparing your HRs from day to day.
2005-02-28 10:23 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
I'm sure there's someone more experienced with this, but I'll try to answer the question.
Don't feel like you're taking a step back. Your body needs the rest to recover and rebuild it's strength. I probably work out about 4-5 days a week, some work out 6 days and take one day off, and then others who need to do something every day. It's up to you, but don't feel guilty.
As far as heartrate goes, it'll definitely go up when you think of stressful situations, work, doctors appts. (in my case). Example: my normal HR is about 63 BPM. When I go to the doctor's office for a check up or something, my HR goes to about 80 bpm and my blood pressure even elevates slightly. It's your body's natural reaction to stress and it starts producing epinephrine which increases HR. So if you're getting 5-10 bpm increase don't be surprised. Hope this is a little helpful anyway.

Edited by bmax 2005-02-28 10:25 AM
2005-02-28 5:17 PM

I posted this once before. I have had work related stress put my resting HR up above 100bpm and chest pains to boot. I was drinking heavily as well so that didnt help either.
2005-02-28 9:52 PM
in reply to: #123628

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

gypsykorea - 2005-02-28 3:17 PM I posted this once before. I have had work related stress put my resting HR up above 100bpm and chest pains to boot. I was drinking heavily as well so that didnt help either.

If you're RHR is over 100, work stress, drinking or not, you should talk to your doctor about that.  That certainly isn't acceptable, and could possibly be a harbinger of something much worse (might not happen for a while, but the sooner it's addressed, the better).

Stress can and will raise your HR and BP, but it shouldn't be extreme. 

2005-02-28 9:58 PM

I did go to the doctor. I thought I was going to have a heart attack, for real. I was put on blood pressure medicine because of that and my familial tremors. Luckily, as we speak now I do not have that problem anymore. My resting is somewhere in the low 70's and sixties now. I am hoping that improves over the coming years though. It was at the time pretty unnerving as I was having daily chest pains, and during PT my HR from the few times I checked it manually was well into the 200 range. Nothing like thinking you are going to die of a heart attack at the age of 25.

edited to add: That was a few years ago. I dont take blood pressure medicine or anything anymore.

Edited by gypsykorea 2005-02-28 10:02 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Days off and stress Rss Feed