Cherokee Road Runners
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 11m 54s
Overall Rank = 401/625
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 29/39
Pre-race routine:

I had one hammer jel, a couple oatmeal bars, and a half a coke. A little background I had planned to do the full marathon but the whole family picked up a wicked virus about six weeks before. So I missed a week and a half of runs including two long runs. I decided to just do the half, two weeks before I caught a bad chest cold I was on antibiotics till the Wednesday before the race, man I can't get a break.
Event warmup:

The race started at the water tower, it was cold about 39*, since I work at the water co. I went inside the pump station to stay warm until about 5 minutes before the race.
Run
  • 2h 11m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt real good on race day, I carried three jels with me and drank water at every stop. I started out at my usual 10min./pace I figured I would stay at that pace and keep my HR in the high 160's. The course is very flat I basically cruised the whole race, I thought I would struggle because of my cold, but it was not a real factor at all. I missed one water stop towards the end and that caused me to fade some. All and all a good race considering.
What would you do differently?:

This is only my second race ever the first being the spring derby marathon. So I really feel I'm starting to learn more about the race day ins and outs, this race was a real confidence booster. I can't wait for more.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a couple a bananas and drank some water. Walked around some and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not get sick twice in six weeks. Drink a little more, and not miss training runs.

Event comments:

This is a very good race for first time marathoners, and halfs. Very flat and fast.

Last updated: 2008-10-27 12:00 AM
Running
02:11:54 | 13.1 miles | 10m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/39
Overall: 401/625
Performance: Good
avg. HR 165, max. HR 174
Course: Flat along the river.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-10-27 3:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville KY
Subject: Louisville Half-Marathon

2008-10-29 6:24 AM
in reply to: #1768487

User image

Subject: RE: Louisville Half-Marathon
Congrats on another great race! Two big races in one season is a big deal, and I'm looking forward to watching you continue to progress. Enjoy some down time!
2008-10-29 10:11 AM
in reply to: #1768487

User image

Veteran
Surrounded by 6 states
Subject: RE: Louisville Half-Marathon
Way to go Tim, that's awesome.  Way to rebound from all the illness going around.  That's tough to get in the workouts.  Look forward to seeing what it next.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Louisville Half-Marathon Rss Feed