The Red Rock Company
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 11m 33s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 9/38
Pre-race routine:

Woke up in my cozy TENT in the bed of my TRUCK. I really hate early mornings. I used the campground bathroom to shower and get dressed. Then I drove to the race site. It took me forever to get to transition because I kept forgetting stuff in my car. Living out of your car is SO disorganized! I pretty much had my transition set up with less than 5 minutes to spare before they closed transition. Then I wandered off to hit the bathroom then stood around a lot.
Event warmup:

I was supposed to run for 15' and swim a bit. So, I got my wetsuit on up to my waist so I would not have to carry it and jogged around for 15'. I did feel warm at this point! But they wouldn't let anyone in the water early. Instead, I stood around with the BTers and just made sure I was one of the first people from my wave into the water. You had to swim to the start line and tread water for a bit. So, my "swim warmup" was 4' of that.
Swim
  • 20m 32s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

Bleh. I hadn't put my wetsuit on in two years. Thankfully, it still fit. Sort of. Felt pretty dang tight.

I started out well...swimming fairly straight. Then my stupid goggles started leaking. Like, a lot. This is the same pair I wore for the 10k swim without a single leak. WTF? I stopped a few times to try to fix them, but it never worked. So I really couldn't see.

So, they told us to turn left at the second orange buoy. The second orange buoy shows up....and....no one turns. Hunh? Oh...they meant the second LARGE orange buoy. Nice clear directions...obviously.

The goggles were really bad on the return trip. I was pretty ticked. I was happy to finally get out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Tighten up my goggles before the swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Okay, so I get out of the water, get my cap/goggles off...and.....a volunteer f'ing STOPS me and tells me I have to WAIT because the Best of America runners are coming by. WTF??? I'm racing TOO! I probably lost only 10 seconds...but still. NO RACER should EVER have to wait. Completely poor planning on their part. The run course should not have interfered with the swim out.

I finally got to my place and by then I had the wetsuit down around my waist. I quickly got it off and started putting on my bike shoes. My eyes were still a bit blurry from all the water. I got the helmet and glasses on, grabbed the bike and ran. I felt kinda "naked" because all my rides lately I've been carrying so much fuel/water I am used to being weighed down.

7th fastest in AG....

Nothing really...I guess I could go a little faster.
Bike
  • 1h 39m 40s
  • 31.45 miles
  • 18.93 mile/hr
Comments:

Cluster F*ck. That's really it.

This was supposed to be 27 miles...two "loops". One full loop and one "modified" loop. If you read the map, it made perfect sense. The reality was something entirely different.

Starting out, the course was very crowded and full of idiots. I'm talking people that are not in the middle of passing, but riding on the very left hand side of the lane. I was not the only person that noticed this! I had to yell at several people for blocking. I spent probably 5 miles getting through a bottleneck. It felt a little more open after that.

I was told to "redline" so I pushed really hard at first. Eventually I had to back off a little bit so I could sustain. But I still tried to push the whole time.

Right away this course is annoying because just when you get in a rhythm there would be an intersection and you would have to stop to make a turn. Not literally STOP...but stop pedaling and slow down so you could make the corner and then speed up again.

So I finally get to the Charlie Foxtrot intersection. The volunteers are saying "Quarter Iron Second loop left, Half right". Say what? What about Quarter FIRST loop? You would have to be a rockstar to be on your second loop by now! So I sat up and slowed down trying to figure out what was going on. Was I supposed to go left and start the second loop? Hunh? I was about to go left when I saw chalk writing on the ground telling the quarter first loop to go right along with the half guys.

So I turned left but I saw several people trying to figure out WTF was going on. And I predicted that a lot of people would be confused and might have even missed the turn.

So I finished the first loop and started on the second. Turns turns turns. People blocking. Blah Blah Blah. I came up on the Charlie Foxtrot intersection again and I SWEAR they told me to go RIGHT for the quarter and left for the half...which is entirely backwards. I knew better this time and made the left. The chalk on the ground saying quarter second loop go left helped me. :)

Other issues with the bike course. Whoever had coned it off, put the "keep right" signs for the cars IN the bike area. I saw at least three people have to jerk their bikes to avoid hitting them...because if you were riding to the right like you were supposed to, you would hit them if you were not careful. Dangerous. Then the aid station was handing out bottles from both sides of a narrow lane. So there was nowhere to go if you didn't want a bottle but wanted to avoid the chaos. And of course, I was behind a guy who couldn't keep his wheel stable to save his life. He didn't slow down enough to get his bottle and almost wobbled into me. Really, they should have done a LONGER aid station and just been handing out bottles on one side.

I guess the theme was that I was very very afraid of crashing...due to the course, due to the people, due to the signs...everything. I was SCARED.

At this point I was realizing that the course seemed long and began to wonder if I had taken a wrong turn somewhere. I expected to finish the 27 miles in about 1.5 hours. So I eventually switched to distance view on the bike computer and I'd gone over 30 miles already! Hunh????

Pulled into transition at 31.45 miles!

Nutrition was 500 calories of infinit that I drank in the first hour.

Push harder.
Transition 2
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

I'm slow. I ran in my bike shoes. I was one of the first people back on my rack so I had plenty of room but it isn't easy to just throw on.

I lost a lot of time putting on socks...but they are necessary. And I had to tie shoelaces because I've been too lazy to put those non tying ones on. Anyway, not bad....16th fastest in AG.

Move faster?
Run
  • 1h 06m 46s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 10m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

This was pretty good for me! I kept a fairly consistent pace. I walked through aid stations. I felt good the whole time. I probably could have gone a little faster, but I was kinda scared I would die off if I went much faster. I have been doing so much slow running that I have almost forgotten how to run hard.

I had water at every aid station and about 3 miles in I had three clif bloks. I never bonked...so...musta worked!

Push a little harder?
Post race
Warm down:

I walked to transition, packed up my stuff, and got my recovery drink. Then I ran into some friends from Colorado and we went to the food area to eat. Then we sat around in the shade waiting for the awards. I stretched a bit. Then we went and got our stuff out of transition, and went back to our cars.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more run training!

Event comments:

This race was fairly well organized...but had several problems. Having to WAIT after the swim irked me. The poorly placed signs on the bike sucked. The bike course had SO many turns. The whole Charlie Foxtrot with the quarter/half split...that was just awful. Good race, but these are all things that the RD's should have been able to predict and avoid.

Last updated: 2008-10-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:32 | 1000 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/38
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Promotion Sleeveless
Course: Rectangular....head east, turn left three times. Exit where you entered.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:39:40 | 31.45 miles | 18.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/38
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Charlie Foxtrot.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:34
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:06:46 | 06.5 miles | 10m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/38
Performance: Good
Course: One big loop.....
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-27 8:31 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: Soma Quarterman Triathlon

2008-10-27 8:35 PM
in reply to: #1769321

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Soma Quarterman Triathlon
nice race woman!!!!
2008-10-27 11:09 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Jen, It was great meeting you this week. You can thank the city of Tempe for the Charlie Foxtrot. The city is bordered by Phoenix, Mesa and Scottsdale so this is what we get. That T1 time was smokin'
2008-10-27 11:38 PM

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
Wow, I can't believe you had to stop out there!  That stinks!  You are right that no one should have to stop like that !  It was great to meet you!!  You had an awesome race!
2008-10-28 1:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Flagstaff, AZ

Great race.  You are ready for IMAZ!  I promise no one will be stopping for any other racers next month

It was really great to meet you and have some good beer at the pre-race lunch.  See you next month!

2008-10-28 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Great race - I hope you enjoyed your stay here in Arizona! 

2008-10-28 11:32 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome Job Jen  esp on teh run which has been os hard for oyu recently..  Hope the kneewas super
2008-10-28 12:01 PM

Expert
Somewhere over there in Az
That seemed like a very fun course, see if you would have done the half you wouldnt have gotten confused at the turn around. Great Job!!
2008-10-28 12:58 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Awesome job Jen.  Remind me to never do this race.  Sounds like it was just a pain in the .  Ever find out what happened with the bike course.  Was it long? Did you make a wrong turn?
2008-10-28 3:31 PM
in reply to: #1770835

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

parrj - 2008-10-28 11:58 AM Awesome job Jen.  Remind me to never do this race.  Sounds like it was just a pain in the .  Ever find out what happened with the bike course.  Was it long? Did you make a wrong turn?

I talked to a bunch of athletes after the race and pretty much everyone that did the course "correctly" got about 31.5 miles in....so, the course was just plain LONG.

2008-10-28 5:17 PM

Pro
AZ
Way to survive the CF that we like to call SOMA! Nice job out there!

2008-10-28 8:50 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Nice job! Hope you are enjoying your stay in AZ!
2008-10-30 2:51 PM

User image

Oh Jen, you're a rockstar.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Soma Quarterman Triathlon Rss Feed