General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2008-10-28 11:49 AM

User image

Nicholasville, Kentucky
Subject: Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon

2008-10-28 11:49 AM
in reply to: #1770668

User image

Nicholasville, Kentucky
Subject: RE: Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon
Anybody recommend this race for a first half ironman?  Where should we stay?
2008-10-28 8:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI
I'm signed up to make this my 1st HIM. Staying in Stevensville. A lot of the hotels are already booked in Benton Harbor and St Joe.
2008-10-28 9:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
I did it this year and while they had to cancel the swim due to rough swim conditions (some argue the swim should have gone on, I'm not one of them though), the event was very well run and they did about as good as you could to have to go to plan B with approx 2,700 competitors at least signed up.

Having said that, the hotels fill up FAST so if you know you're doing it, shop around and reserve early. The crappy economy may help availability but who knows. We stayed at a hotel out by the highway and it was a dump but at least I had a hotel room. If you are driving in, anything within one to two hours would be a manageable drive. Just be careful with traffic to the event. It's actually better to come from the North because all the main hotels are on the South end of Benton Harbor and the local roads have had challenges in the past. Last year I didn't have problems and haven't heard if others arriving later did.

Lastly, Whirlpool just announced a layoff of 5,000 employees over the next year so an already financially weak area is going to lose a major employer in the area.

It will be interesting to hear the numbers on the '09 event.
2008-10-28 10:26 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Any Lake Michigan tri can be kinda of risky as there's always the chance the swim could be canceled as Steelhead last year or even just down the road Grand Haven's swim has been canceled or shortened big time in the last 3 out of 4 years.

With what's happened at Grand Haven it was real easy to pick another spot for my first HIM as I didn't want to end up doing a DU.  I did Muncie but would consider the Mussleman in NY or Pigman in Iowa over Steelhead any day.  The event is to large and has a lot of room for improvement.  I assume it's popularity is more from being a IM brand event then anything else and that isn't enough for me.  The independant races are ran better, cost less and aren't packed with 2000 + racers.

'JMHO

2008-10-29 10:29 AM
in reply to: #1772244

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
rottieguy - 2008-10-28 11:26 PM

Any Lake Michigan tri can be kinda of risky as there's always the chance the swim could be canceled as Steelhead last year or even just down the road Grand Haven's swim has been canceled or shortened big time in the last 3 out of 4 years.

With what's happened at Grand Haven it was real easy to pick another spot for my first HIM as I didn't want to end up doing a DU.  I did Muncie but would consider the Mussleman in NY or Pigman in Iowa over Steelhead any day.  The event is to large and has a lot of room for improvement.  I assume it's popularity is more from being a IM brand event then anything else and that isn't enough for me.  The independant races are ran better, cost less and aren't packed with 2000 + racers.

'JMHO

I would say my Steelhead experience from the perspective of how the event was run was first class. Have you ever done any 3D events? I've done three and each were a fraction of the size of Steelhead and they had all kinds of problems.....Safety was actually one of them...

2008-10-29 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1772142

User image

Veteran
Hudson, OH
TriMike - 2008-10-28 9:43 PM

Lastly, Whirlpool just announced a layoff of 5,000 employees over the next year so an already financially weak area is going to lose a major employer in the area.

Whirlpool is only laying off 300 people in the St.Joe/BH area. 5000 worldwide with most already done.

The area is not losing a major employer.

Also, next year Harbor Shores will be open and it will be a beautiful area. They are redoing the whole Jean Klock beach area (bathrooms, etc).

I might make it my first 1/2 as well. I live in St Joe now but we are moving to Ohio soon, and I would love to come back for this race.
2008-10-29 8:04 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

TriMike we will agree to disagree.  Comparing 3D events to Steelhead is like comparing a fricken econo car to a Corvette.  Not quite fair, now is it. 

Comparing Steelhead to independent HIM races like the Muncie Endurathon, Mussleman, and Pigman is a more fair comparison and there isn't much of a difference besides that a smaller independent event can be run better then Steelhead at a lower cost and in my case I thought Muncie was a better overall event from the overall course, parking, aid stations, closed bike course, better run course, and easier overall registration process.

2008-10-30 7:44 AM
in reply to: #1774619

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
I brought up 3D because they ran a 70.3 in Tawas this year and based on my experiences with them, among other things, I wouldn't be comfortable doing a 1.2 mile swim wondering if I'm safe....

Since you've done Steelhead and Muncie you're more qualified to compare the two, however as I said, I think it is relevant to compare 3D as a RD to Steelhead's RD because I've done Steelhead and I've done several 3D OLY's and I'm allowed the right to question whether I'd want to do a 3D run 70.3

It sounds like your definition of a well run event is based mainly on the number of participants...
2008-10-30 7:46 AM
in reply to: #1772244

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
rottieguy - 2008-10-28 11:26 PM

The independant races are ran better, cost less and aren't packed with 2000 + racers.

'JMHO

This is where we disagree...
2008-10-30 8:29 AM

User image

Regular
Holland, MI

I'm certainly not the expert on race promoters but I have had a LOT of people shy me away from 3D races.  I'm not saying that I wouldn't participate in one of their events but I've been warned that they are not well run.

As far as the Steelhead 70.3...we do a lot of work in the Benton Harbor/St. Joe area and I think that it's a beautiful place for a HIM.  I registered for next year's race thinking that I wouldn't be able to get into a IM event but then I was able to register for Louisville.  Now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place trying to get rid of my registration spot since the two events are less than a month apart.  I figure even if I don't get rid of it, the money is going to a cool race and I'll try to volunteer so that I can still be involved....kind of off topic...sorry...ANYWAY, bottom line, this is a good area for the race except for the fact that you're going to be fighting the lake conditions for the swim (same thing that happens in Grand Haven). 

2008-10-30 12:01 PM
in reply to: #1775195

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
jboeve - 2008-10-30 9:29 AM

I'm certainly not the expert on race promoters but I have had a LOT of people shy me away from 3D races.  I'm not saying that I wouldn't participate in one of their events but I've been warned that they are not well run.

As far as the Steelhead 70.3...we do a lot of work in the Benton Harbor/St. Joe area and I think that it's a beautiful place for a HIM.  I registered for next year's race thinking that I wouldn't be able to get into a IM event but then I was able to register for Louisville.  Now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place trying to get rid of my registration spot since the two events are less than a month apart.  I figure even if I don't get rid of it, the money is going to a cool race and I'll try to volunteer so that I can still be involved....kind of off topic...sorry...ANYWAY, bottom line, this is a good area for the race except for the fact that you're going to be fighting the lake conditions for the swim (same thing that happens in Grand Haven). 

Like I said, it was a very well run event and I've done enough of them by different promoters so I feel I can weigh in on certain topics. What you've heard about 3D is probably spot on...

And you are right, it's a very beautiful area. I'm originally from the Ludington/Pentwater area so I wasn't familiar too much with Benton Harbor/St. Joe and was impressed.....Except maybe for parts of BH....

2008-11-02 4:11 PM
in reply to: #1770672

User image

Extreme Veteran
I plan to do Steelhead as my first HIM. As it also takes place on my 40th Birthday. What a way to bring in old age.

I have been told that Steelhead will cut off registration at 1800 competitors this year. That should alleviate some of the problems I've been hearing.

Also I will never fault anyone for making safety there prime responsibility.

2009-01-03 6:34 AM
in reply to: #1772142

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN

Lake Michigan can get pretty treacherous depending on the water conditions that change based on wind direction, wind strength, and how long the wind has been blowing.  Around August 1, an onshore breeze will bring surface temperatures to the upper 70's due to the warm surface water that is blown in.  If the wind shifts to offshore, the water temp can be 10 or more °F colder from one day to the next.  The worst conditions are when things rae changing and you get waves from both the NW and SW.  I've been body surfing under these conditions and there are strong rip currents that can be very dangerous.  It's probably worse than ocean conditions becuse the waves are much closer together in the lake and I woud think  support boats would have a very hard time.

Once I was body surfing and found I had been pushed 200 yards down the beach with NW and SW waves and was not able to swim/walk in the water back to my starting point.  I ended up getting out of the water and walking back.

2009-01-03 6:53 AM
in reply to: #1775195

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
jboeve - 2008-10-30 8:29 AM

I registered for next year's race thinking that I wouldn't be able to get into a IM event but then I was able to register for Louisville.  Now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place trying to get rid of my registration spot since the two events are less than a month apart.  I figure even if I don't get rid of it, the money is going to a cool race and I'll try to volunteer so that I can still be involved

Ask if they'll roll your registration over to 2010 if you volunteer this year.  Officially, they don't refund fees or allow transfers, etc. but it doesn't hurt to ask. 

I did Steelhead as my first HIM in 2006 and had a great time.  Granted, it was about 1800 people instead of 2700, but it was still a nice weekend to hang out on the beach, pick some blueberries and tour local vinyards.  We've volunteered the last 2 years. 

2009-01-03 10:45 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
My husband and I are planning on doing Steelhead. If it sells out before we register, we'll probably just do Spirit of Racine instead. We'll likely be waiting for our tax return to get everything set up on this front.

I've heard mixed reviews about the event itself, probably due to the large number of participants last year. But with the cap, hopefully that'll take care of the problem. As far as Lake Michigan goes...it's always a crap shoot if there will be too much chop for the swim. Ultimately last year's decision was made in the best interest of the safety of the participants. You can't fault an organization for that. But for those saying they wouldn't do the event BECAUSE it's lake michigan, it's anybody's guess as to how the water will be on any given day.

2009-01-03 11:00 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
I'm still on the fence about doing this race.  I've also heard a mixed review about the race due to it's size.  The bike course can get really crowded. 
2009-01-06 1:27 PM

User image

Illinois
Steelhead is a great venue. Bike Course is relatively flat and the run has just the one hill. I did it in 2007. I am going back, I love the area. My only complaint was the sandy transition area. It was thick and messy. Did I fail to mention the huge traffic jam in the morning ?

I give it an 8 out of 10
2009-01-09 7:58 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

I did this race last year and I personally wasn't too impressed when compared to other 70.3s or independent HIM. I got over the swim cancellation but the field is sooooo big for the course hence expect LOTS of drafting and just too crowded in general (both run and bike) all the time. I don't know why but the race just didn't have much positives that made it stand up in my memory. When I compare to 1st class races like Timberman, well it just comes very short.

I had fun cuz I met lots of BTers and THAT made the experience worthwile and if I was going to hang out again with the gang I would consider doing it but organization wise I would give it a C+

2009-01-10 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Whooohoooo!!! I just registered!!! OMG!
2009-01-10 9:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Congrats Silverwolf!  You will have a blast at this race!  The run course was changed (I think in '08) so it is actually on the Whirlpool corporate campus.  There are a few minor hills, but there is shade.  And on that day in August, you will want shade!

The bike may be crowded, but not any worse than other large venue events....ie Chicago Triathlon.  A member of my local tri group actually got so aggrevated with all the compliants of drafting (this race and others) that she became a USAT official.  Now she rides on the back of the motorcycle to police the race.  She figured instead of complaining all the time, she was going to make a difference.

So just deal, keep a smile on your face, and you'll have fun!

2009-01-10 12:11 PM
in reply to: #1899396

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Way to go!  Good luck with your training!
2009-01-11 8:37 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Last years run wasn't bad, you'll hit one major hill on your way out to the whirlpool campus, where you'll do two laps.  Just after leaving the campus on your first loop you'll find another decent hill, so you'll hit this twice due to the two lap setup.

I didn't really consider it shaded, thou there is some shade in spots.  I enjoyed the water hose spraying in front of the firehouse, must be the firefighter in me but it was nice to have some cold water to wet the hat down and rinse my face off, as there's a lot of wide open non shaded spots.  Obviously opnions vary.

Hopefully you'll get to swim, and they'll keep the numbers down to help out a little on the bike.  Just don't forget to save some muscle in the legs for the walk back to your car afterwards, it's a good mile or so away from the transistion area, so bring a friend and a good transistion bag to carry your stuff.

It's a beautiful area, hopefully there new beach area restroom will be done by race time.

2009-01-11 9:40 PM
in reply to: #1899433

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
LB22 - 2009-01-10 9:55 AM

Congrats Silverwolf!  You will have a blast at this race!  The run course was changed (I think in '08) so it is actually on the Whirlpool corporate campus.  There are a few minor hills, but there is shade.  And on that day in August, you will want shade!

The bike may be crowded, but not any worse than other large venue events....ie Chicago Triathlon.  A member of my local tri group actually got so aggrevated with all the compliants of drafting (this race and others) that she became a USAT official.  Now she rides on the back of the motorcycle to police the race.  She figured instead of complaining all the time, she was going to make a difference.

So just deal, keep a smile on your face, and you'll have fun!

that's nice but given the size of this particular race they will need much much more officials AND motorcycles (usually the hardest part to find) to have a chance for a clean race, that's of course wishful thinking...
2009-01-14 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI

This'll be my first HIM!  I'm really looking forward to this event and if all goes well I plan on trying a full IM next year.  I'm booked at the Silver Beach Hotel and I think they still have availability if anyone is looking - they're a bit pricey, but I wanted something that was close.  I look forward to meeting up with some fellow BT'ers there.

Coop

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 17