General Discussion Triathlon Talk » dream the impossible HR dream ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-28 12:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, Il
Subject: dream the impossible HR dream ...
I guess I should be happy, but my suspicious side smells a fish:

I went out this morning on my usual jog during which I usually can manage to keep my heart rate under 155, though it does try to overshoot during the long gradual hill on the out part of my out-and-back. I went running on Saturday and had the same ~151 BPM average for my hour run. This morning, though, I thought my HRM was broken. I almost never broke 150, though my times were in line with the last couple weeks of runs. I checked my rate manually near the end of my run when I was waiting for some traffic, and it seemed pretty accurate ... was actually a little higher on my watch then under my fingers.

The only change this morning from my other runs was that I had plain water with me instead of my usual sports drink (cytomax tangy orange ... it rocks!). I checked the drink to make sure it didn't have caffeine in it, and it doesn't seem to.

Anyway, should I be out celebrating at the sudden drop of ~5 bpm or do you think something else is going on?

amanda

2005-02-28 1:30 PM
in reply to: #123482

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: dream the impossible HR dream ...
Could be any of (or a combination of) a few factors. Was it warmer/colder than usual? Were you more/less stressed? Were you more/less rested or just particularly relaxed? Could you possibly be seeing the results of training? Probably impossible to tell unless you give it a couple more workouts to see if you are consistently lower or if it bounces back to what you had expected originally.
2005-02-28 1:36 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Could simply be a breakthrough. Not uncommon to plateau for a while, then all of a sudden have one of those feel-great runs. I had one a few weeks back - my usual 10 mile course - just crushed my PR on it by 6 minutes, and never exceeded my usual HR.

There could alot of different variables - weather, what you ate, how rested you are, etc. But, in general, I'd say congratulations! Don't expect it to be that great on every run, but it's definitely a good sign for things to come.
2005-02-28 1:42 PM
in reply to: #123507

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, Il
Believe me, I have pretty low expectations where my running is concerned. That's why I was sure my watch was wrong!

Everything was the same as my other runs. Same amount of sleep, same clothes, same weather (~20 deg F), and I was even wearing my old shoes since my new ones are giving me trouble. I've known my HR to higher than normal or to have trouble holding a pace, but I just couldn't believe the opposite.

Maybe I'll just relax and enjoy it ... and see if the mircle happens again next run!
2005-03-03 11:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, Il
Weird to reply to myself, but I just had to celebrate somewhere! This morning was the first time I could go run since Monday, and the mircle of mircles happened again. AFter the first half-mile when I was sure all seemed as relaxed as it was on Monday, I tried to find my new place that would put me back up those 4-5 bpm to where I "should" be in zone 2. Odd to have to speed up to stay at the right heart rate instead of slow down! But doing so resulted in shaving off almost 1 minute a mile from my time--all at the same HR as before Monday.

I never thought I'd be so excited just breaking the 15 min/mile threshold.
2005-03-03 11:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eagleville,
Congrats on the break though on your run today. Keep that up and you might get yourself down to a 10 min mile. Can't wait till I have some of these type of break thoughs. Keep up the great work.

Dirk

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » dream the impossible HR dream ... Rss Feed