Keller, Texas
United States
Dallas Athletes
Total Time = 1h 01m 29s
Overall Rank = 16/
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed away from coffee today and went back to cinnamon waffles, PB, Honey and some diet coke. Water and Gatorade on the drive over. For once we were ready on time and had to wait on Buehler (for 20 seconds maybe but....still waited, still waited!!). He and Spruce loaded up and followed us over to Keller
Event warmup:

Swam 100 meters to get loose then stood around talking with everyone. Doc Shock and I were right next to each other in line again this year so we laughed about that and his bike modifications to the jah ride since his bike was still in route from Vegas
Swim
  • 05m 14s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

Hoped to swim this under 5 and coach Murphy agreed it was the goal. Missed it by a tad mostly b/c I seeded myself poorly. I had to pass people on each lap and that is my fault for starting back in the pack. I think I put 5.20 on the sign up form and swam a 5.14 but forgot to fudge it down like everyone else. I should know better by now. Otherwise, I am happy with this. I felt like I went comfortably hard the whole way and was in control but still pushing. No real complaints as I am still improving with each swim.
What would you do differently?:

For what I put into swim trianing I am happy with this. I need to see what Buehler puts for his swim time from now on and then go 10 secs less than him. That's the new plan
Transition 1
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

pretty smooth but Jenny put 6 secs on me here so obviously there is still work to do ;)

I did rubber band my shoes for the first time and did the flying leap for the first time too and it went well.

not much
Bike
  • 32m 42s
  • 12 miles
  • 22.02 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed this as hard as I could the whole way and felt really good the entire time. I got passed by #109 on the second loop and couldn't hang with him. I must have passed him in the pool and I think he had the fastest bike split on the day so I didn't feel as bad about not hanging once I saw the results. This is my 3rd race in Keller and first on my tri bike with the race wheels so this was my best effort here by far.

Why don't they call this a 12.5 mile bike if it really is - every race???

Nothing. So far I've kept improving. Hope I can keep it up and avoid the plateau for a while
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

the very rare T2 slower than T1...

I never decided until standing at my rack whether or not I was going to bring the Garmin on the run. I reached up to get it and couldn't get it out of the clip. Normally I do this as I'm coasting into T2. It's amazing that a mental error can creep into a sprint but it proves that every little detail is important. I did grab my hat and race belt and put those on as I ran. For some reason I always seem to do that in T2 and waste time.

figure out my plan before hand or during the ride at least
Run
  • 22m 5s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

I have not done a hard brick in a while and it showed in the first mile. Legs were very heavy and my form felt way out of whack. I got my legs under me and it turns out my first mile was fastest so maybe I shoulda kept the heavy leg/crazy form going.

I caught friscobob Buehler just before the mile mark and goosed him as I ran by. His response to me is inappropriate for this report but he admitted to enjoying it very much!

I saw Tommy right before the turnaround then saw Craig and Jenny on my way back. My new happy run attitude from Longhorn is still kicking as I said hi to everyone and was very cheery. In return I got nothin from Tommy or Craig!! And Jenny gave me some very useless information :)

I didn't have anyone to pace off of which made it hard to find a groove. I peaked at my Garmin a couple tims as the goal was to go sub 7 on this run. I saw my first 2 mile splits and just couldn't go any harder. I was breathing pretty heavy and was at my limit. Still this was an improvement compared to my others here so no complaints.

New course PR for me but not my goal. So I gotta get it under 7 in March
Post race
Warm down:

Did a little stretching and then cheered for the crew as they all came in - friscobob, moonear, brucedogs, redwing, fitzger and tri-z. I saw TJ and Craig hanging around the finish and we compared notes. Kproudfoot and Dgillen were also milling about. Congrats to Jenny, Ken, friscobob and Craig on the hardware!!

Event comments:

Dallas Athletes puts on fun races and I love that we got some new peeps in on the tri thing. Congrats to Omar and Spruce for very strong efforts. Also big props to cousin Lindsay (pilatestri) on joining us. You're tough girl, and you did great!! Stick with it and keep working with coach Jenny :)

Last updated: 2008-09-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:14 | 300 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:43
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:32:42 | 12 miles | 22.02 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: 6 mile loop with 2 little hills on the back side. Nice smoth road the whole way
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:05 | 03.11 miles | 07m 06s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: out and back on a trail
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-10-28 9:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Monster Triathlon

2008-10-28 10:38 PM
in reply to: #1772112

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Monster Triathlon
Loved reading your report!  So positive and cheerful!  Your run was a huge improvement over last year!  GJT! (and of course the swim and bike were too)
2008-10-29 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great race.  You're speedy and solid in all three sports.  I see a sub 1 hour race coming soon!

Sorry I did respond cheerfully.  I tried to verbally respond once in a race and immediately went into oxygen debt.  Had to walk to recover.  So now the most you'll get from me is a flick of my hand or maybe a thumbs up. 

2008-10-29 8:07 PM

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Great job. Way to take the family honors back from that fast girl.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Monster Triathlon Rss Feed