Dallas Athletes
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 52s
Overall Rank = 239/463
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 17/27
Pre-race routine:

This was my first Triathlon, so there wasn't any routine at all!
Event warmup:

Some light stretching in the transition area, that's it.
Swim
  • 07m 29s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, for a first time experience, it was positive! I really had a blast! I can see now why athletes are drawn to triathlon, and I'm totally hooked. My only regret is I didn't start sooner in the season this year because this was pretty much the last Tri of the season. However, I DID reach my modest goal of COMPLETING a sprint, which I did. Next year, my goals will be a bit more involved. But for now, I will always remember Monster Triathlon 2008 as my first...my baseline.
What would you do differently?:

As I look at these numbers for the first time, I can tell you that it's obvious that my transition times are pretty bad. I had no practice and very little instruction because I missed a critical training session with my team where the coach taught transition techniques. The night before the race I just stood there standing and staring at my bike in the living room THINKING. Just staring at my bike. I got some pointers on-line, looked at some pictures of how to lay everything out on a towel next to your bike in the transition area. Do I dry myself off before I get on my bike? Do I need fuel? How cold is it outside? Sunglasses? Hat? Gloves? AAaaagh!
Transition 1
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

Is this a long T1? :-)

Get a Tri-suit. Try bike shoes already clipped-in technique.
Bike
  • 41m 50s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Wet in some spots from early morning irrigation. Lower back cramped up. Took a few posture breaks by standing up on pedals.

Train harder...more hills...more miles.
Transition 2
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

Tried to put handlebars on rack...oops! It's the SEAT that goes on the rack! Can I wear my race # belt while on the bike? Yes, but don't forget to flip it around to the front for the run.

Make some decisions on what to wear for the run BEFORE the race! Know my fuel and hydration needs. Had 3 GU's in my bike jersey pockets that started bouncing all over the place as soon as I started running, so I stopped before exiting the transition area and removed them. Would prefer to not run in my bike jersey. Either a sleeveless top or shirtless altogether.
Run
  • 28m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs (quads) were really stiff coming off the bike. HR at max (176) for almost the entire run. Tried reducing work load to lower HR but kept getting passed.

Neglected run training because I was too pre-occupied with the swim. Do more speed work at the track.
Post race
Warm down:

Why are the race volunteers so OBSESSED with getting the chip off your ankle the second you cross the finish line?? :-) Just walked it off for a few minutes until my HR got back down then found my wife. Found my team mates and hung out for a little while at the finish line. Team pictures!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inconsistent training schedule due to being self-employed. I know, that's weak, but I could make more intelligent use of training time by doing all 3 disciplines in one session. Will definitely add strength training this winter.

Event comments:

The race itself was well organized and a lot of fun. When we arrived there at 6:15am, it was dark and about 45 degrees outside. All you could see after finding a place to park was a line about 2 blocks long of everyone lining up with their bikes to check in and get body marked. In the background was the theme to the Halloween movie playing on the loudspeakers. I felt like a head of cattle after the marked both my arms and one leg with my race number, and my left leg with my age. All the race coordinators were in halloween costumes, including my coach who was in a Girl Scout outfit. There was a Monty Python guy on the run course, and they even had chalk marked outlines of 'dead bodies' out there too! You couldn't help but grin now and then in spite of the pain of stomach cramps and stiff quads!

My awesome wife, bless her heart, came to the race with me and documented the entire thing as Team Photographer. It says a lot when your wife gets up at 4:30am on a Sunday morning to support her husband. I love you sweetie! You're doing YOUR first Triathlon next year! :-)

Last updated: 2008-09-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:29 | 300 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/27
Overall: 239/463
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Indoor pool set at 50m lengths. Snake swim.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:25
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:50 | 12 miles | 17.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 0/463
Wind: None
Course: Mostly long, straight hills through 4 lane residential.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:58
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:12 | 03.11 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 0/463
Course: Concrete paths meandering through a park. Some residential. Relatively flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-29 10:53 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Monster Triathlon

2008-10-30 7:14 AM
in reply to: #1774915

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
Subject: RE: Monster Triathlon
Congrats on your first race - you finished well - your questions- most do not dry off to ride, they put the helmet on and glasses and go, most will wear a Tri Top - this is the time of year that they will go on sale - Mounting of our bike can be the handles or seat - either or - great job and welcome to the madness.
2008-10-31 8:34 AM

User image

Regular
Erbil
Congrats on your sucessful first race.  Lots to learn and the best way to do that is to race.  Betcha can't wait till next year!
2008-10-31 7:46 PM

User image

Expert
Austin
Great race! Monster was my first race as well. I also completely agree with you about the timing chip people right after the finish line.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Monster Triathlon Rss Feed