General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Age Group National Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

USAT Age Group National Championship - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Portland, Oregon
United States
USAT
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 33m 59s
Overall Rank = 574/892
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 55/62
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30a and fumbled down to bus over to Haag Lake. This race venue seems to be a huge logistical nightmare, but the race director did a great job under the circumstances.
Event warmup:

Ran about a mile, and swam about 10 minutes.
Swim
  • 27m 52s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

Most of the guys at this race swam like human torpedoes. My crappy little swim felt great, but I'm just slow. Learned that the only bouys that matter are the corners, and the rest are just for sighting, which is very cool.
What would you do differently?:

I can probably swim harder in a race like this, but I just wasn't sure.
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

Out of the water, we ran straight up a steep boat dock that one could probably repel down. Moved through transition quickly, but when I jumped on my bike I couldn't get my feet on top of my shoes. So, I nearly crashed into the barrier three times before settling down. Some knucklehead was yelling at me to "get some rubberbands," but what good was that going to do? I'm supposed to stop at 7-freakin'-11 for more rubberbands? This was a horrible start to the bike.

Practice jumping on the damn bike and getting into the shoes. On a course with an immediate climb out of T-1, I should probably skip that adventure altogether.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 7s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.12 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a wacky ride up and down continuous, pretty steep, and long hills. I never really figured out what my pace should be, as I was concerned about blowing up. I think that I should have gone a lot harder on this ride, but that's hindsight.

At one point a 24-year-old girl passed me, then slowed down right in front of me. I stopped pedaling, and heard the motorcycle. I looked back and saw the bike, and got up from my aero-bars. The motorcycle came up and the passenger took my race number. Now, I think that I got the 2:00 penalty for drafting or blocking or something, but in reality the only thing that I may have been doing was leching (as in lecherous). I mean, the girl was really pretty and I was right behind her and, well, I guess I deserve some sort of penalty, but certainly not for drafting or blocking. I didn't bother to even ask what the penalty was about in the race, so I won't know, and really don't care.

Ride a lot harder. If I'm going to be penalized for drafting, I might as well actually draft. May seek counseling, as I probably should pay more attention racing and less attention to women half my age.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Off the bike well, hopped into the bike racks, and put shoes on very quickly.

Powder in shoes would be a good idea.
Run
  • 46m 31s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Managed a very good run, particularly on such a hilly course. I wouldn't have believed that I would run under 7:30's on this course, but I guess that I was so fresh that I made it. Caught Sean who was walking, and walked with him for awhile to see if I could help him out at all. Nothing I could do and he told me to keep going, but this took a bit of time. It was the right thing to do, regardless.

I think that I passed two to four guys in my age group on this run, and I also believe that they are the only guys that I actually beat. So... I must have been the dead last caboose when the run started, and snuck up on a couple of folks.

I think that I could have opened the run up a bit more. Again, I was concerned about the level of effort and the hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out in VIP tent and watched the pros race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't go all out. I just wasn't confident that "balls to the wall" was the best strategy here. So, I got my ass kicked. With this experience, I know that in the future this type of race really just needs to be all out.

Also, I need to train more for speed rather than endurance.

Finally, penalties should be avoided, no matter how cute the butt in front might be.

Event comments:

This was an incredible experience. The overall quality of the athletes at this event was just staggering. I mean, I'm not horrible at triathlon, but I got a pants-down spanking at this event. Also, I don't get this distance at all. It's really short for me, so I'm really not sure what the pace should be in working through it. I guess that the pacing should be "balls to the wall," but I didn't know that going in, and would have been very concerned to push like that. Next time, however, that's just what I'll do.

Very pleased with the slow swim (still, under :30), averaging over 20mph on that crazy course, and under 7:30 m/mile on the run. Had a great time, met some amazing people, and look forward to trying to improve on things.

Last updated: 2008-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:52 | 1500 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/62
Overall: 0/892
Performance: Good
Suit: Ironman Instinct
Course: Clockwise rectangle thing with a departure from the dock (everyone had to have one hand on the dock). This was a very cool start.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:14:07 | 24.85 miles | 20.12 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: Two loops around Haag Lake, with a bonus jaunt down to the entrance facility just to add an additional nasty climb.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:31 | 06.21 miles | 07m 29s  min/mile
Course: Up and down substantial hills the entire way. This is a sick run course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-11-01 4:44 PM

User image

Denver
Subject: USAT Age Group National Championship

2008-11-03 3:28 PM
in reply to: #1780416

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: RE: USAT Age Group National Championship
In Re Counseling: I disagree - If you're not staring at the pretty girls, that's when you need therapy.

Nice work just being at this race!
2008-11-04 9:49 AM
in reply to: #1780416

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: USAT Age Group National Championship
I wouldn't say you got your azz kicked.  You're times are solid...just need to keep prespective...these are the fastest AG guys!  That's a bummer about getting the penalty but at least it was for a babe!  Nice job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Age Group National Championship Rss Feed