United States
53F / 12C
Overcast
Total Time = 10h 00m
Overall Rank = 100/908
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/50
Pre-race routine:

Followe the advice of the Nutrition Forum and eat much better on Friday, got up early Sat. (7:00 AM) had bowl of Muselli and a bananna, (only) 1 cup of coffee. I did NOT drink alot of water. Driving to race, I sipped some Heed.
Event warmup:

Since the parking area is so far from the start, I simply jogged to the package pick up area. I didn't want to spend to much time on my feet, so i did some harder effort pick ups and tried to stretch the butt that's been bothering me. Potty break behind a nearby building and then positioned myself closer to the front of the pack than i usually do. I knew I had to get out into the clear early if i had any chance at all of making my predicted time (1:50)
Run
  • 1h 44m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Race number 888-I figured that either way (upside down v. right side up) I would do OK! Wanted to get a good early start and push the hills a bit. I knew the last big downhill would give me time to recover/regroup for the last flat 2 mile stretch. I would know by then if I was on pace for 1:50.
What would you do differently?:

I got kinda excited at mile 8 because i was really nailing my pace markers. I should have refueled with a gel, but forgot-By the time I was blasting down the hill, I didn't want to lose stride to try and open one up. I was starting to bonk at the bottom, so I choked 1 down for the last 20 min. stretch. Calves started to cramp kinda bad-should have got more electrolytes in me leading up to race day.
Post race
Warm down:

Found GF Betsy and cheered friends.co-workers on. Lunch is usually pretty good, but I didn't have much of an appetite. Saw a woman walk by that looked familiar-realized it was Penny aka ChosenProvidence. Walked over to introduce myself. SHE RAN 13 MILES only 9 DAYS AFTER HER GALL BLADDER WAS REMOVED. Damn! Started to get cooler-so went back to GF house to take shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As usual, I could've/should've put more long runs in. But DAMN, I though i did pretty good. I gave myself a 5/5 for effort level

Event comments:

This is one of the few times were I can say I left NOTHING on the course. At mile 10 my calves started cramping-and I never get cramps-but I kept telling myself "You've never ran this hard before-this is probably normal". WOW! 1:44. I'm really proud of myself and I'm so glad that Betsy was there (16 years married and ex never came to single event). All my friends did well. I really like this race. I am SO stoked for next season.
Post Script: Sunday 11/02-I feel soo bad. I ache in places I've never ached before. Have huge blisters on big toes that I didn't realize, my aching butt cheek is too sore to sit down and I have this sh#t-eating grin on my face. I am really happy in this life of mine right now! Thanks to all the BT family for advice and inspiration. I gotta go for a walk now, my butt is calling me.

Last updated: 2008-11-02 12:00 AM
Running
01:44:41 | 13.1 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/50
Overall: 100/908
Performance: Good
Course: Loop, scenic w/rolling hills. Mostly pavement, but a three mile downhill secment of packed dirt. 1180 ft of total elevation gain/loss.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-11-02 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: Zeitgeist Half Marathon

2008-11-02 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1781497

User image

Nampa, Idaho
Subject: RE: Zeitgeist Half Marathon
That was a TOUGH course and you did fantastic, especially considering those hills. Mile 8? HOLY COW! I had no idea. I ended up having to walk it. My HR was still as high as it was when I was running. Your time is absolutely fantastic!

THanks for the shout out in you RR . I figured I already spent my $40 bucks and I wanted a t-shirt. I knew I could walk it even if it took a long time but figured I"d run it if I could--either way I wanted that shirt! I can't believe you recognized me--salt crusties on my face and all!

I'm already planning on racing this again next year.
2008-11-02 6:15 PM
in reply to: #1781497

Expert
Subject: RE: Zeitgeist Half Marathon
Jeff I'm impressed. Awed. And I have a touch of HM pace envy!! Great job dude!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Zeitgeist Half Marathon Rss Feed