Boise, Idaho
United States
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 30m 36s
Overall Rank = 695/908
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 66/78
Pre-race routine:

Had some simple carbs, banana, oj for breakfast. Listened to some music.
Event warmup:

I basically did some people watching and a little bit of stretching. Went to the bathroom. Nothing too exciting!
Run
  • 2h 30m 36s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to finish. I wasn't sure how far I would be able to run. I just knew I needed to take it easy. The first three miles or so were all uphill. I found someone to chat with and pace off of for the first couple of miles. I walked through the aid station and lost him there. Kept an average of 11 minute mile for the first 8 miles. Started to slow down at the hill at mile 8. I was not prepared for that steep of a hill and walked it. I was wearing my HR monitor and my heart rate stayed in the 180's walking up that hill. So I didn't feel bad. I didn't want to burn out too soon and have to walk. It was downhill pretty much the rest of the way. I kept running. I was walking through all the aid stations and stopping to drink the electrolytes and water but at the aid station right before mile 12 I wished I had kept going. When I stopped my calves started cramping up. I drank my water real quick and got moving again but I was so tired and my feet hurt so much. I just knew I HAD to run the last mile. I didn't want to waste my time. Then the course hit me with a sucker bunch. A weird little turn that was STEEP and short. I had to walk up that hill too. I was toast. But that was it. I was DONE! I couldn't believe that after all I've been through and all the set backs with running I FINISHED A HALF MARATHON! And I RAN IT. SUre, I'm not terribly fast, but I RAN and I gave it all I could. Crossing that finish line felt so good. My whole life I've never thought I could accomplish anything like this. I thought I was weak and not cut out for this kind of activity. And then my gallbladder setting me back and interfering with training. BUT NO MORE!

I am so looking forward to racing another 13.1. And it will only get better.
What would you do differently?:

NOTHING. I think I did all I could considering I had surgery a week and a half ago. I'm glad I did this. It motivated me to get up and moving and I think that has helped recovery. My dad was a huge inspiration. He had his gallbladder out when he was 40. He was also an active healthy person. He said that he was able to run 5 miles a week after surgery. I knew if he could run so soon after a procedure, I could too.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water. Stretched. Everything started cramping when I stopped running. I got in line for food.I was STARVING. Stretched in line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Surgery! And not being able to train the last week and a half.

Event comments:

This was my first half marathon. I thought it was organized very well. The food was fantastic the volunteers were great and very helpful/motivating. It was a challenging course but had a lot of variety--not boring at all. The food was great and plenty of it. I had a good time.

Last updated: 2008-08-13 12:00 AM
Running
02:30:36 | 13.1 miles | 11m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 66/78
Overall: 696/908
Performance: Good
Course: There were four hills on this course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-11-02 9:56 AM

User image

Nampa, Idaho
Subject: Zeitgeist Half Marathon

2008-11-02 10:12 AM
in reply to: #1781538

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: RE: Zeitgeist Half Marathon

Congrats Penny-I think that race is going to be the new fall 'classic'.   The hill at mile 8 used to be MUCH worse-a summer long construction project knocked the steepest peak off.  Seeing that road go up...and up...and up...is still kinda depressing.

YOU DID GREAT!  I still can't belive you even tried it. 

You're a STUD!  See ya around for Boise 70.3.

2008-11-05 4:10 PM
in reply to: #1781538

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: RE: Zeitgeist Half Marathon
Awesome job. Wish I woulda gone.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Zeitgeist Half Marathon Rss Feed