General Discussion Race Reports! » Cycle-Smart International Cyclocross Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cycle-Smart International Cyclocross - CycleCyclocross

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Nothampton, Massachusetts
United States
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 85/93
Age Group = Cat4
Age Group Rank = 85/93
Pre-race routine:

Arrived a bit early. Pre-rode the course a lap while they finished taping. Went and picked up numbers, back to the car to change. It was cold, but I knew it was warming up so I went with summer layers.
Event warmup:

I got 2 full warm-up / preview laps so I could actually learn the course. I found the lines I wanted, figured out where to hit it hard, etc. Got down to call-ups: I started near the back b/c I registered only 3 days before the race. A few announcements, 30 seconds and then the whistle.
Bike
  • 52m
  • 9.32 miles
  • 10.75 mile/hr
Comments:

I did really well. I was in a group of about 8 or so and racing well with them. This was the first time I've seen a race clock at cyclocross. My lap times were amazingly consistient.

Lap1= 8:20
Lap2=16:20
Lap3:24:25
Lap4:32:36
Lap5:=Anoxic and missed it!

I did lay the bike down pretty hard on a 180 on Lap4. I went over the bike and landed with my right hip into the handlebar. It really hurts today and last night was tough sleeping. Nice bruise starting to come up. I was able to shake that off and pick up the 4 places I dropped while on the ground.
What would you do differently?:

Get my tubulars running this week for Sunday. The tubies give much better cornering.
Post race
Warm down:

Cough up a lung, drop my head below my waist so bloodflow resumes...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lungs. Falling hard.

Event comments:

I had always missed this one b/c I don't ususaly race twice on a weekend. There used to be a race in CT that same weekend, so I never went before. I'm glad I did as I really like the venue.
Full results at: http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=7103

Last updated: 2008-11-02 12:00 AM
Biking
00:52:00 | 9.32 miles | 10.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 85/93
Overall: 85/93
Performance: Good
Pegged the whole time.
Wind: None
Course: Short pavement section, then a drop into field 1 which was all nicely cut grass. You had to deal with crossing a minature railroad train track a few times, but the covers made it seamless. When you got to the southern end, a realy deep sand pit with a 90deg corner was unrideable for most and, if you did try, most fell. After that and a few parallel sections, pavement into the big run-up (hurt realy bad by lap 5!). The top was wooded with pines and kind of rooted. Another drop back to field 1, then return to the woods for the trip through the barriers (which were set up perfectly) and the return to the start finish on a paved trail. The course was perfect for my strengths.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-11-02 2:22 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Subject: Cycle-Smart International Cyclocross

2008-11-02 7:31 PM
in reply to: #1781771

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Cycle-Smart International Cyclocross

Great race...sounds like a terrific venue. I would have done it but went to IMFL instead

Hope you heal up and feel okay. Which cross race is next up for you?

2008-11-03 5:23 PM
in reply to: #1782209

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Subject: RE: Cycle-Smart International Cyclocross
Next race is West Hill Cyclocross in Putney, VT. Never done this one before either. A year of new races for me; kick the stale out of my routine!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cycle-Smart International Cyclocross Rss Feed