US Race Series
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 58m 28s
Overall Rank = 795/2406
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 113/218
Pre-race routine:

Just hung out at the start, trying to figure out which way the race was going to start. Most of the people seemed to be facing south, so I was guessing that was probably the way that it was going to start.

Had oatmeal this morning, happy with the extra hour of sleep :)
Run
  • 1h 58m 28s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Mostly this was a tune up run, to try to get a good race pace dialed in for IMAZ. Today was supposed to be a LSD run, but since Roxanna was already signed up for this event, I figured I might as well race. On a side note, has anyone else ever looked down at their Garmin and mixed up the time of day and pace fields. Sigh, I thought I was flying for a while.

Anyway, I think I started a little fast, running in the low 8s. That was not the idea, but it felt pretty EZ. Made it up the first hills with no issues, and across the bridge. Climbing back the bridge turn around, that hill ALWAYS kills me, so I walked that for a bit. Did some fast walking along the final flats on Chrissy field before the last hill.

Again, it wasn't really a race, just a supported training run.
What would you do differently?:

Not a whole lot.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood in what I thought was the food line until I discovered that they were out of food. Then just waited for Roxanna to cross the line.

Event comments:

It's San Francisco, so, almost by definition, it's a beautiful race. Chrissy Field, Golden Gate Bridge, always amazing to run around. The weather was wonderful, cool, and not rainy compared to yesterday.

But... even for a smaller race, this one seems a little skimpy. Compared to other 2-3k participant 1/2 Marys, the support just wasn't there. I skipped the first aide station because they didn't have any water prepared. Runners had to grab a cup and then wait for the water to be poured in. At another aide station, I grabbed what seemed to be triple concentrate cytomax, which was just a total shock. None of the aide stations had food, and for some reason I didn't bring any with me this time.

Then at the end, even though I was in the middle of the pack, they were still out of food. The whole finish area was just massively cramped up. I only remembered that I had to get my chip removed when I tripped over the removers, who were in the middle of the pack standing in front of the food table.

Anyway, a nice small race. Beautiful, but could be better organized.

Last updated: 2008-11-02 12:00 AM
Running
01:58:28 | 13.1 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 113/218
Overall: 765/2406
Performance:
Course: Starts at aquatic park, goes along Chrissy Field, up Lincoln, twice, then across the Golden Gate bridge and back down Chrissy Field. Some good sized hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-11-02 7:59 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: US Half Marathon

2008-11-03 6:16 AM
in reply to: #1782249

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: US Half Marathon
Glad you had a good training race. It must be good to know you can run out a comfortable sub 2 hour 1/2 marathon!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » US Half Marathon Rss Feed